Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Miyazaki Hayao

Miyazaki Hayao

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Miyazaki Hayao

Postby Sachi » Tue 04.11.2006 4:57 pm

I love Miyazaki movies... I grew up with them ^_^ I've seen Kiki's Devivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind... I still really want to see Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, but I haven't yet.
Sachi

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 04.11.2006 5:43 pm

I heard he died just recently. Is this true or is it just another rumor? I mean he's only in his early 60's. He's too young to die :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Sachi » Tue 04.11.2006 6:47 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:
I heard he died just recently. Is this true or is it just another rumor? I mean he's only in his early 60's. He's too young to die :D

Oh my gosh, really? I have no idea.
Sachi

Postby Hatori » Tue 04.11.2006 8:34 pm

i have all of Miyzaki-san's movies in English 'cept for My Neighbors the Yamadas, Grave of the Fireflys, and Pom Poko.

my favorite is Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns. I think Spirited Away is my least favorite.
My Neighbor Totoro was ADORIBLE i thought. *Totoro theme songs pop into head* NOOO! they'll be stuck there for a weeeeek!:p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 04.11.2006 9:13 pm

Spaztick wrote:
Anyone know where I can get his films? Best Buy maybe? :P

Yep. I've seen them there. You'd probably have better luck at a small indy place, but I have definitely seen them at Best Buy. Anyway, about his movies, I think they're too freaking weird. Great artwork, but too weird... Akira Kurasawa -- there's a good Japanese Film maker. As far as anime movies go, the best I've seen to date is the Cowboy Bebop movie.
Shibakoen

Postby queshaw » Wed 04.12.2006 1:40 am

I love his stories, except for Sherlock Hound which was written by him but done by other people, I think. I stopped watching after 10 minutes or so. It seemed to me like a mediocre American cartoon.

The first story of Panda Go Panda is great, the second I didn't watch all of because it didn't seem very good. Written by Miyazaki, but directed by someone else. The Panda in Panda Go Panda looks and acts sort of like a Totoro and the humour is very... crazy, instead of charming like his other stories. The girl in Panda reminds me of the young sister in Totoro.

If I had to pick which memories were important to save, before having brain surgery, My Neighbor Totoro would be ranked more important than a lot of seemingly more important memories.

Pom poko is good too, about racoons. Actually, I love everything I've seen by Miyazaki except for sherlock hound and the second story in panda go panda. I also like that he tends to have heroines as main characters.

My favorite story of his is Naausica. The anime is about 1/8 of the story in the manga and a lot of time is wasted, in my opinion on "action" sequences, where I'm more interested in the story. My favorite parts of the story, where the "sea of corruption" is explored more, are not in the anime. The major pseudo-villains don't even appear in the anime. I wish they would do Naausica 2 or whatever.

Someone told me that the manga came after the anime. I wonder if there are others by him where there is more story in the manga than in the anime (I know next to nothing about either).

My terrible post would make my innards rupture and become cancerous unless I add that my viz graphics manga has a table of translations of onomatopoeias such as:

(ugh.. my IME hates me) "gi tsu" means "chomp"

and "kashi" means "click"

etc.

Huh? Why does my IME stop recognizing romajii... oh well.
Last edited by queshaw on Sun 04.16.2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
queshaw

Postby chi_atashi » Sun 05.07.2006 3:14 am

Sukebei Uchuujin wrote:
[center]Grave Of The Fireflies........

*sobs*........and then *cries*[/center]

Grave of the Fireflies was soooo sad... but it was one of the best animes i've seen!
i've also seen Spirited Away, Mononoke Hime and Howl's Moving Castle and they're all great!:D
[center]はじめましてみなさん!
わたしはじにです!
きょうはいいですね?^_^
[/center]
chi_atashi

Postby chika » Thu 05.11.2006 1:11 pm

Yeah! I love his movies!:D My favorites are Spirited Away (because that's the first one I saw), Princess Mononoke, and Porco Rosso.
chika

Postby Danyoru » Sat 05.20.2006 1:38 pm

Sachi wrote:
punkgrl326 wrote:

Is this really true? I hope it's only a rumour.

I love his movies. My favourite by far is Spirited Away with My neighbour Totoro coming in at close second.

Hatori wrote:
My Neighbor Totoro was ADORIBLE i thought. *Totoro theme songs pop into head* NOOO! they'll be stuck there for a weeeeek!:p

Yay!

Arukou, Arukou! Watashi wa genki!
Arukou no daisuki!
Danyoru

Postby defrex » Sat 05.20.2006 2:31 pm

Miyazaki's is my ichiban anime, I think. Grave of the Fireflies is the only movie I've ever cried in. The saddest film I've ever seen.

I actualy like how Disney does the English. They do a good job. I don't think it's a good excuse not to watch the Japanese, but they are well done, and fairly true to the original stories.

Heh, I actualy found a Ghibli box set at a local comic shop, it's wonderful. I'm fairly sure it's imported, or at least whoever realeased it here didn't even try. All the menus are in 日本語. ^_^
defrex

Postby nikonikoniko » Sat 05.20.2006 2:55 pm

Frumious Boojum wrote:
Disney has done some great releases for the Ghibli films and has not censored any of them a bit (can you imagine Pom Poko tamed down for the family?).

Actually, although the visuals were left intact, they did change the songs in their dub and subtitles (unless there's a more recent release which corrects this). While Disney didn't seem to mind people watching tanuki swinging their testicles around and using them as weapons, for some bizarre reason they didn't want people to hear them sing about the same.
Last edited by nikonikoniko on Sat 05.20.2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
学ぶことをやめたら誰でも老いぼれる、二渚ホでも八渚ホでも。学び続ける人はいつまでも若い。人生で一番大事なことは、気持ちを若く持ち続けることだ。
nikonikoniko

Postby Ebuka Valentine Nrialike » Sat 05.20.2006 3:09 pm

Ive watched spirited away, i enjoyed it, am yet to watch howls moving castle, i just cant wait!B)
۞..::۩[<>~Ebuka~<>]۩::..۞
Ebuka Valentine Nrialike

Postby queshaw » Sun 05.28.2006 6:11 pm

I watched whisper of the heart yesterday, and I liked it. Some odd things though:

1) Flicker. This and I think the cat's return both have a flicker to their animation, like fewer frames are used. Odd.

2) I switched between english subs and english for the hearing impaired, and the text is different!?

For example, the guy rides away on his bicyle and she says something that sounds roughly like "sono neko kimi no" (I doubt I have that right). The english subs say "is that cat yours?". The english for hearing impaired subs say "do you know that man?" I think I recognize cat ねこ and you きみ.

Near the end, the guy is riding a bicycle up a hill with her on the back, she hops off and says what sounds like "onimotsu dagenata yatta" (again, probably really really wrong) the english subs say "I don't want to be a man's burden" (yikes!), the english for hearing impaired subs says "I don't want to be just a burden for you".

3) The politics of the story is slightly disneyish: conform and reproduce. Devoid of the usual Mikazaki themes, except for the main character being a heroine that is delightful and someone you want to identify with.

It's still great though, it's just conveniently not disonant with other disney stuff.

Oh: "Country roads", the song, is kind of hard to listen to. It's a fine song, it's just something I had enough of on one listening. It probably sounds different if you aren't from America.
Last edited by queshaw on Sun 05.28.2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
queshaw

Postby blackcat » Fri 06.16.2006 10:13 am

I absolutely love his movies. I have seen Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Howl´s Moving Caslte, Kiki´s Delivery Service and the cat returns. My favorites are Howl´s Moving Castle and the Cat returns. They totaly rock.
I have been trying to get my hands on those other movies he made, haven't had much luck though, but I am not giving up. ^^
blackcat

Postby sereame » Mon 07.03.2006 5:26 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:

No, he didn't die. he's in the middle of making a new movie too. it's based off the tales of earth sea. here's a pic: Image

i'm a huge miyazaki fan. he's an amazingly talented guy (as a story teller and animator). i have/seen almost all his movies (ie: My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the sky, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away,Porco Rosso, Mononoke Hime, etc (some older ones, mostly unknown).) I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet. My personal favs are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. They're great/original stories, and artistically superb!

I recommend his movies to everyone. It suits almost every kind of viewer.
Last edited by sereame on Mon 07.03.2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sereame

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions