Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Wakan - An 'Amazing' Free Learning Tool.

Wakan - An 'Amazing' Free Learning Tool.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Wakan - An 'Amazing' Free Learning Tool.

Postby shinyclef » Wed 04.12.2006 6:47 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. I started learning Japanse about 6 weeks ago. I'm self-studying as I don't have time or money for formal classes. I'm using a program called the Pimsleur Language Program which is an audio lesson program, which consists of 90 30-minute lessons. When I learn a new word, I look it up and learn how to write it (I have learnt all the Kana).

A friend introduced me to what is likely the best free Japanese/Chinese-Enlglish dictionary and learning tool. It was originally designed for students of Japanese, but extended to Chinese due to the fact that Kanji are essentially Chinese characters anyway. It has a fantastic vocabulary builder and tester where you can edit the status of the word as either problematic, unlearned, learned or mastered. The same can be done with kanji. You can ask it point out all the unlearned kanji contained in words in your vocabulary list and things like that. It's really VERY useful for quick translations while you're on the computer as well.

I was surprised not to see this posted on the forums already, so I decided to post it here for you guys.

So, here's the link you've all been waiting for! http://wakan.manga.cz/

This is also a wonderful soultion for all you people looking for a way to learn kanji. You can print kanji flashcards! You can also type kanji into the tranlater and it will put in the furigana AND definition for you... which you can then print...

On a more personal note.... my name is Peter. My msn and email is shinyclef@hotmail.com, my aim is shinyclef my yahoo is shinyclef and my ICQ is 77991165. I use trillian so when I'm on one, I'm on them all, but msn is my preferred service if you have a choice. I also have skype and can log on to IRC. If you're looking to practice or just for a friend, please drop me a line. I'm learning at a reasonable pace and am always looking for more people to chat with in or about Japanese :).

About me... um... I'm Peter, I'm 19, male, I live in Australia. I'm studying music in 2nd year university. The reason I'm studying Japanese now is because I would like to go to japan after uni to study the music there, especially Taiko Drumming.

So, download Wakan, drop me a line, and lets all be happy :).

See you around!

Peter.
shinyclef

RE: Wakan - An 'Amazing' Free Learning Tool.

Postby aKuMu » Wed 04.12.2006 7:21 am

actually you can find a link to this tool in the >>Web Links<< section ;)

but welcome to the site ;D
Last edited by aKuMu on Wed 04.12.2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby shinyclef » Wed 04.12.2006 7:58 am

Oh really?

Well, now I look pretty stupid... hahaha.

I hate it when that happens :D

Well, thanks for the welcome anyway :)

Now... I wonder if I can delete this thread before too many people notice... lol
shinyclef

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 04.12.2006 8:06 am

I love wakan except for two minor issues:

It doesn't allow for resizing of the flashcard text. I have bad eyes so the tiny text is hard to read when I'm staring at cards for hours on end.

also, if you have lists of over 1200 words and you try to do the random testing option, the program will often freeze up and die. But I don't think many people make tests from word banks of 1200+ words unless they're studying for the JLPT. ;)
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test