Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Textbook Suggestion?

Textbook Suggestion?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Textbook Suggestion?

Postby Sorako » Sat 04.15.2006 5:12 pm

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a textbook with exercises that could fit a 15 year-old's budget? I work, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as it isn't some $200 language program complete with your own Japanese man. I looked at Genki, but I'm still hestitant about going that way before I get some other input. I have a kanji dictionary and a hiragana dictionary, as well as several short books that I can struggle through, but I don't really have a way to actually practice other than just reading and scribbling sentences on notebooks during class.

ありがとう!
Sorako

RE: Textbook

Postby Paul De Stefano » Sat 04.15.2006 6:05 pm

Sorako,

I have been using Japanese for Everyone. I just checked Amazon and they list it for $18.27.
It introduces hiragana immediately and uses hiragana exclusively from Chapter 3 of 27 chapters.
It has lots of exercises. It tells a story of Michael and his wife Barbara as Michael comes to work in Tokyo so it may appeal more to the older student such as myself.

Everyone in the forum will tell you that time spent memorizing hiragana is well spent. You can't really get far without hiragana.
Paul De Stefano

RE: Textbook Suggestion?

Postby Sorako » Sat 04.15.2006 6:13 pm

I've got both hiragana and katakana memorized more or less completely--I can recognize and read them. My vocabularly isn't very good, though, I'm only halfway through JLPT 4. I just need to work on my grammar usage and lots more kanji. :P

But thanks! Our library actually had that one and I flipped through it and copied out some pages. It was quite helpful. ^^
Sorako

RE: Textbooks

Postby Paul De Stefano » Sat 04.15.2006 9:29 pm

One last quick note.
You might enjoy a Workbook on particles. Clay sells them at http://www.thejapanshop.com.
Three years ago I worked through "Japanese Particle Workbook" by Taeko Kamiya.
Paul De Stefano

Postby S-san » Sat 04.15.2006 11:10 pm

i have yet to get my hands on ac cappy of this but I have heard quite few good raves about Yookoso.
愛  尊敬  刃  真保する  湯人  気  忠義な
                 心  
S-san

Postby DreamOfTheFayth » Sun 04.16.2006 12:59 am

Yookoso is the text book that the Japanese program at my school uses(Arizona State) and I find it to be a pretty good book. I dont have any experience with other resources so i can not compare, but it is straight forward, explains the grammar pretty well and offers many examples. The workbook can be ta annoying at times but that could just be me :D
私の名前はサンダサンだ.......さんださんだ(you get the idea.)

oh and btw, thats not my real name :P
DreamOfTheFayth

Postby Nebbie » Sun 04.16.2006 3:13 pm

I think Paul meant Genki is the one that starts hiragana/katakana at lesson 3. Minna no Nihongo(Japanese for everyone) works with no romanji from the start.

I have both textbooks, and I think for self study, I would stay away from MNN because the grammar explanation is precise yet very simple and short. While on the other hand, Genki is very down to earth with its explanations. Also, one thing that Genki has that MNN don't have are the readings at the end of the book.

One thing to note for both versions are that for self study, you should/must have the audio that goes with it. Unless you just plan to learn to read and not speak it.

Hope this helps.
Neb
Nebbie

Postby Christian_ » Sun 04.16.2006 6:10 pm

Paul De Stefano wrote:
Sorako,

I have been using Japanese for Everyone. I just checked Amazon and they list it for $18.27.
It introduces hiragana immediately and uses hiragana exclusively from Chapter 3 of 27 chapters.
It has lots of exercises. It tells a story of Michael and his wife Barbara as Michael comes to work in Tokyo so it may appeal more to the older student such as myself.

Everyone in the forum will tell you that time spent memorizing hiragana is well spent. You can't really get far without hiragana.

I have this book and wasnt really using it for a while, but I actually started today and I love it. It was really cheap and other than the tapes you get everything you need in one workbook. You dont need a Textbook, Workbook and whatever else, just the cheap workbook. I was considering buying the tapes. Does anyone know where to buy them and are they cassetes?!?:@ I hate cassetes, I have an iPod so I guess if it was on a CD I could convert it.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: Textbook

Postby Paul De Stefano » Sun 04.16.2006 6:13 pm

Just for the record. I had suggested Japanese for Everyone authored by Nagara Susumu and published by Japan Publications 1990. This is different from Minna no Nihongo published by 3A Corporation.

しゃ また
Paul De Stefano

RE: Cassettes;Japanese for Everyone

Postby Paul De Stefano » Sun 04.16.2006 6:29 pm

Just saw Christian's Post. Hey I am a slow typist. Five years ago a collection of four tapes were available. In those days it cost 8500 yen. With shipping over $100. I sent him a private message with the ISBN number.
Paul De Stefano

Postby Christian_ » Sun 04.16.2006 6:30 pm

This one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870408534/104-9213272-8085530?v=glance&n=283155 right, and if you don't know the かな then you can add James Heisig's book for like 9 more dollars (US). Thats a great deal.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips