Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning other languages

Learning other languages

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Learning other languages

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 04.16.2006 8:09 pm

I am wondering... See, in addition to Japanese, I have also been hoping to learn Korean. I have done some Google searches , but haven't discovered any sites that I have found useful. I hope to start studying Korean while reviewing my Hiragana and Katakana for a week or two. So, i'm wondering if anyone here knows of a good, useful site that I could use to study Korean with.
Takeo Saeki

RE: Learning other languages

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Sun 04.16.2006 9:17 pm

me too, i have a lot of Korean friends and i really like DBSK :) Most of the ones i've come across use Hangeul, which is really confusing frankly. Same, I did some Google searches and nothing good. ;) Do you have any other-than-internet resources available to you?

edit:

by the way, nice sigB)
Last edited by hamsterfreak4evr on Sun 04.16.2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby Pumpythecat » Sun 04.16.2006 9:55 pm

Pumpythecat

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Sun 04.16.2006 10:00 pm

been there, got some basic phrases from them ;)
hamsterfreak4evr

Postby Machina Maw » Sun 04.16.2006 10:01 pm

Gah, that sounds hard, learning both at once, especially with all the kanji + Korean characters >__> Korean characters look all the same to me! Depending on how much Japanese you want to know, minus how much Japanese you actually know, maybe you should wait a while before tackling two languages at once *__*
Machina Maw

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Sun 04.16.2006 11:10 pm

my korean friend helped me a bit with understanding hangeul. i can write it if i can copy it off something else. :) easy to write than hirgana...harder to remember. :(

does anyone know the name of the lead singer of Dong Bang Shin Ki? *drool* ya, hes hott B)
hamsterfreak4evr

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 04.16.2006 11:20 pm

Well, I don't plan on doing a really serious study of Korean for a while. Just sort of a pass-the-time thing while I am memorizing the Kana characters and waiting to be ready for Kanji. Also to get me prepared for when I have the time and energy to do a serious study, because I will want to do a serious study eventually.

Thanks for the link, Pumpythecat! I don't know how I missed that one before.

Any more?

EDIT:

by the way, nice sigB)

Thanks. :D
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Sun 04.16.2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

Postby laurenkendall » Thu 04.20.2006 12:20 am

Machina Maw wrote:
Gah, that sounds hard, learning both at once, especially with all the kanji + Korean characters >__> Korean characters look all the same to me! Depending on how much Japanese you want to know, minus how much Japanese you actually know, maybe you should wait a while before tackling two languages at once *__*

Meh, tackling two languages at once isn't very difficult. I'm taking Japanese and Spanish at school while reviewing my French and continuing self-study of Arabic and Farsi. You just have to like what you're doing and do a little bit of each every day. :)

=^-^=
jyan-ken POI!
laurenkendall

Postby Machina Maw » Thu 04.20.2006 5:55 am

laurenkendall wrote:
Machina Maw wrote:

Meh, tackling two languages at once isn't very difficult. I'm taking Japanese and Spanish at school while reviewing my French and continuing self-study of Arabic and Farsi. You just have to like what you're doing and do a little bit of each every day. :)

=^-^=

Haha, I believe you. I've been learning Japanese for about 4-5 months now, which is the longest I can ever remember sticking to anything. Usually I will just decide something out of the blue, like "I think today I will join the pistol club" and then a few hours later I'll decide I want to do something else entirely.

Not that I can actually join a pistol club (too young) >__>.

Anyways! How fluent are you in each of those languages? And aren't you afraid that one day you will go to France and someone will ask you a question and you can only remember how to answer in Arabic? Haha, okay, that would probably never happen. ^_____~
Machina Maw

Postby lemonaid » Thu 04.20.2006 11:55 am

I was really afraid that I'd start mixing up things in my head when I decided to pick up chinese and korean in addition to japanese, but so far it it's going good. It wasn't problematic when I studied french and german simultaneously either, so I guess the brain has a way of coping with it :)
lemonaid

Postby suko » Thu 04.20.2006 12:33 pm

i know the feeling lemonaid, i once tackled french and spanish at the same time, and sometimes said the right word but from the wrong language... but korean and japanese... i tried chinese and japanese at the same time and got confused :)
suko

Postby opsidol » Wed 04.26.2006 10:34 pm

The key is to choose totally different languages. I am studying Spanish, Russian and now Japanese. Hopefully these wont be too easy to mix up. :) I once tried some Ukranian, but it started to screw up my Russian so I dropped it.
私の間違いを直してください。
opsidol

Postby aikankoku » Thu 04.27.2006 12:09 am

Here are some very good pages for learning korean:

-for beginners
http://www.learnkorean.com
http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/
http://rki.kbs.co.kr/learn_korean/lessons/e_index.htm

-for intermediate
http://www.language.berkeley.edu/Korean/10/main_intro.htm

Japanese grammar is very similar to korean grammar, just like the grammaire française is similar to the gramática española.

I also speak a little french and italian. Ah, by the way, puedo ayudarlos con su español si quieren ;)
Last edited by aikankoku on Thu 04.27.2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
韓國語를 愛.
한국어를 공부하는 人에요.
aikankoku

Postby aikankoku » Thu 04.27.2006 12:13 am

By the way, learning 한글 (korean characters) is quite easy. Since they were created by scholars in a very scientific way, you can learn them all in a single day. :o
韓國語를 愛.
한국어를 공부하는 人에요.
aikankoku

Postby tsp_uk » Wed 05.03.2006 7:30 pm

http://www.zkorean.com/forum/

"Welcome to the Korean Forum. This is a special place to make new friends, learn Korean, ask questions, or just read what's going on."
tsp_uk

Next

Return to General off topic