Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 3rd year placements

3rd year placements

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

3rd year placements

Postby redfoxer » Thu 03.23.2006 12:04 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm doing a 4 year BSc in Computer Science and want to do a 3rd year placement in japan. Only a few problems have arised.

Getting a place is hard. There is fierce competition and, just finding a placement alone is pretty tough.

I dont really have any idea on how to go about finding a placement but since im only in my first year, i have plenty of time to research my options.

My placement tutor gave me a good suggestion of joining a firm here in england (such as rare or ubisoft) and then asking for a transfer to the japanese sector for a few months rather then try to look for a direct year placement since it is harder to find a company that is looking for a year placement british student who doesn't speak fluent japanese (besides, most companies would be looking for more longer term employees).

so my question is does anyone know what i can do, or any info that may be relevant/ helpful?

thanks

-red
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

RE: 3rd year placements

Postby coco » Wed 04.19.2006 10:52 pm

Could anyone give Red-san some informations/comments?
Colin?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby wasurenagusa » Thu 04.20.2006 1:24 am

ahh Red San..you could check out the Employment News, which m'y be a fortnightly publication in the city or..may get your name taken down in the Employment Exchange of the city you want to reside in,at Japan..i dont know if this is a very valuable advice from my side or not.But you could check out those options,if you liked ;).and there is not many organisations that would refuse to accept your application because the Japanese concerns there are always looking forward for students like you and your knowledge of a foreign language is an added value to their milage :) OR you could ask the Japanese Consulate to be at your help.They are the beings, who may come to your help - but i personally think that you should not loose that opportunity too.
wasurenagusa

Postby redfoxer » Wed 04.26.2006 10:03 am

thank you cocosan, wasurenagusasan! thats very helpful. My placement tutor also told me the same thing. visit japan and sign up or see if i have any relative who have insider information and could maybe tip the balance in my favour for an internship. i have an uncle in japan that i could live with (he talks with my mum quite often and invited me over sometime if i was in japan). I'll still try and hopefully, ill be in japan in a few years :) thank you everyone who tried to help me :)

-red
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan