Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - dictionary for masu-form?

dictionary for masu-form?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

dictionary for masu-form?

Postby colorpen » Fri 04.21.2006 8:33 pm

hi is there an online dictionary to seach for meanings of the masu-form? as im not sure of the dictionary form of many words i come across..

eg.. のります is??
colorpen

RE: dictionary for masu-form?

Postby richvh » Fri 04.21.2006 8:56 pm

No, but if you cut and paste your text into WWWJDIC's text/word translation mode, it does a pretty fair job of reverse conjugating verbs into dictionary form. Eventually, you'll just have to learn how to conjugate verbs. Jlookup will also reverse conjugate verbs, as will the editor mode of Wakan to some extent.

The vowel before -masu will be either -i- or -e-. If it's -e-, your job is easy - just remove -masu and add -ru.* If it's -i-, there's two possibilities. Either remove -masu and add -ru like with -e-, or remove -masu and change the last kana of the pre-masu stem from -i row to -u row. (I state it this way because it's easier to understand thinking about the changes in terms of kana than thinking in terms of Hepburn romaji, since machimasu becomes matsu (chi and tsu are both t-column kana) and hanashimasu becomes hanasu (shi and su are both s-column kana)

*Assuming the verb is in active mood. If it's passive, or potential, or causative, or passive causative, your job is only half done... so you have to learn how to conjugate verbs, anyway.
Last edited by richvh on Fri 04.21.2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 04.21.2006 9:27 pm

in other words, learn the pattern:

you should start off by learning verbs that end in a ri before the masu.
kaeri masu ri will change to the U sound - ru kaeru
shiri masu same here, ri to ru shiru both of these verbs are in present tense.

te form : drop ru and add tte kaeru - kaette shiru - shitte
past tense, informal form same thing with te form, but its a tta = kaetta shitta

nori masu - noru notte notta dont worry so much about the others yet..
TrilinguisT

Postby skrhgh3b » Fri 04.21.2006 9:28 pm

You just need to accept that it's time to learn how to conjugate between the 'dictionary' form and the 'masu' form. In fact, you should have learned the 'dictionary' form before the 'masu' form because that's the true form of the verb (which is why its the form that appears in dictionaries). 'Masu' is essentially an auxilary attached to verbs in order to show respect for the party you're speaking with, and teaching it first seems to create too much confusion. But I digress....
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 04.23.2006 7:15 am

In fact, you should have learned the 'dictionary' form before the 'masu' form because that's the true form of the verb (which is why its the form that appears in dictionaries).

A lot of people are taught ます form first (as I was) because it is more polite, and is easier to conjugate for beginners.

But once you get even a little into learning the language, you should start trying to work on the plain forms of verbs, because it:s the only way you:re going to be able to look them up in a dictionary. (or write a compound sentence, etc) :)
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips