Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "Asia the end product of China?"

"Asia the end product of China?"

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

"Asia the end product of China?"

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 04.21.2006 11:32 pm

I've noticed that alot of ppl have this perception about China being the Major influence of ALL of asia, like being the decedents of chinese oriental culture or something.. for some -- this is like a branch off of that "japanese and chinese arent the same" thread, but this goes into a broader explaination of asians arent from china ...

first of all, India was a Huge player in asian cultures: east asians are oriental, south asia isnt and southeast asia is like a mixture of the two. i think the only exception of a southeast asian country being of oriental culture is Vietnam .. they did use chinese characters before the adoption of romanized vietnamese, but they aren't chinese, they have their own distinct culture. with the exception of vietnamese culture, i would say India has more influence SE asia more so than China has.. first of all, Ancient SE asians were of the hindu religion before buddhism. Hindu came from india, having said that, its clear where india have had thier influence.. another thing, I happen to be cambodian, and know alot about our ancient heritage. our script of writting and langauge did evolve from an ancient india langauge called "sanskrit" or something like that... today, it is no longer spoken, only when we do prayers at the temple and stuff.. Lots of influence to make what is now today SE asia and South Asia, and even the middle east today.
the chinese has their influence as well, but they did very little, they did buisness and were the landlords. they sorta changed the northern cambodian's way of speech - they pronounce things differently then the other dialects and often get made fun of. anywho, same with india's influence over cambodia, you can say the chinese has influenced the japanese in the same manner, no? influenced yet different and disctinct...
i hope you learn something and now you wont assume asian is chinese!!!
TrilinguisT

RE: "Asia the end product of China?"

Postby Machina Maw » Fri 04.21.2006 11:40 pm

How many people live in China? Do you know? Because it's the language that the largest number of people speak in the world.
Machina Maw

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 04.22.2006 12:05 am

its not so uneversal as english though -- and i think its like 2 billion in china.. maybe
TrilinguisT

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 04.22.2006 1:36 am

I think the population of China is 1.2 billion, roughly. Am I right?
Takeo Saeki

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.22.2006 10:36 am

The problem with perception from the American side is that when we learn "Ancient World History," we learn mainly about Romans and Greeks. The farthest East that many world history classes go into any real detail is the Persians. Then they gloss over East Asian history by talking about the Khans and listing the Chinese dynasties. Japanese history prior to Admiral Perry is definitely not discussed. No mention is given to other cultures. You have to take classes that specifically deal with Asian/Southeast Asian history to learn anything more. Basically, the most we learn about Indian history is probably from James Bond and Indiana Jones movies. It's really sad.

Anyway, when I was at UNC I took a class on "Ancient World History" because I thought a university class would cover more than what we covered in high school. I wanted to learn about the Maya, Olmecs, and Inca in Latin America and I wanted to learn about ancient Asian cultures. However, it seems Asian and American cultures aren't "Ancient" or "Worldly" enough to be included in Ancient World History. It's really pathetic that an institution as well regarded as UNC would perpetuate this Eurocentric world view. Sorry 'bout the rant, but I felt a need to vent.;)

*EDIT: I just realized that the farthest SOUTH that any "Ancient World History" class goes is Egypt. Of course their rationalization is that Africa may be the cradle of humanity, but Mesopotamia is the cradle of civilization so there aren't any civilizations in Africa that deserve mention. (Such BS)
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sat 04.22.2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby amego » Sat 04.22.2006 11:04 am

I think the population of China is 1.2 billion, roughly. Am I right?

Reached 1.3 billion recently :D Anyway 1 in 4 people in the world lives in China.
amego

Postby Ongakuka » Sat 04.22.2006 11:08 am

How many people live in China? Do you know? Because it's the language that the largest number of people speak in the world.

I was under the impression that Spanish was spoken by more people in the world than Chinese...
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 04.22.2006 1:46 pm

thank you Shibakoen you posted something relevent to the topic.. in my school, world history was changed to European history. thats pretty gay, but i understand why it was changed.. anywho, does Egypt count as an african nation? id say by their culture and stuff, they are more middle eastern.. or Middle eastern and northern africa.

by the way: spanish may be the most widely spoken languge, english and french to most universal, and chinese spoken by 1.4 billion ppl (hella ppl) but still, english is a must for every country, so id say its more likely spoken by more ppl then chinese.
TrilinguisT

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 04.22.2006 2:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifica ... of_Chinese
Chinese may be considered as a 'language family' rather than as a single language.

I find it is best to use the groups 'Middle East and North Africa' and 'Sub-Saharan Africa' myself, althnough no matter how you group nations there are always problems. These problems can actually affect people too, for example the issue of Turkey and the EU.

I always felt that we should study Imperial history in school so we could understand how much Europe has messed up the world and commited attrocities, rather than just how Britain beats the Germans in the World Wars.
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 04.22.2006 2:10 pm

i think everyone knows how Europe messed the world up already.. and now america is doing the same :(:(:(:(
TrilinguisT

Postby Zeo » Sat 04.22.2006 3:08 pm

Anyway 1 in 4 people in the world lives in China.

Isn't it 1 of 5?
Last edited by Zeo on Sat 04.22.2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Sachi » Sat 04.22.2006 4:59 pm

At least you guys get a world history class :P We did, but only for about a year, and we studied the "typicals": Mesopetamia (sp?), Egypt, Greece, Rome.. This year all we cover is American history. Half the time we talk about current world events, but nothing historical, and it's mostly centered on the war in Iraq. I liked studying those other countries; it was interesting, and we did some really fun projects. This year, our teacher's not as fun ;)
Sachi

Postby Sorako » Sat 04.22.2006 5:02 pm

The problem with perception from the American side is that when we learn "Ancient World History," we learn mainly about Romans and Greeks.

You must've had a really crappy history class--I took Ancient World History last year as a freshman in high school, and this year I took Modern World History. We went into amazing detail in both India and China. We dabbled in Japanese history here and there, covering major points (we actually went a good ways in to the period involving the period of Warring States as well as times long prior to that, including migration of the Ainu). It seemed pretty equally divided between Asian and European history here.

In retrospect, we actually talked very little about South America, though. *shrugs*
Sorako

Postby keatonatron » Sat 04.22.2006 11:53 pm

Cambodia was first settled by Indians, as can be found in Wikipedia.

I don't know who it is that thinks south Asia is of Chinese descent... the people look nothing alike :o

That being said, you can't play down the influence China has had on that region. Vietnam used Kanji because they were ruled by China for 700 years. Even Cambodia had very close relations with China (although, they were settled by the Indians so of course their culture is more Indian than Chinese).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Machina Maw » Sat 04.22.2006 11:57 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
its not so uneversal as english though -- and i think its like 2 billion in china.. maybe

Chinese is spoken by more people, followed by English.
Machina Maw

Next

Return to General off topic