Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 一級

一級

The test - experiences, questions or comments

一級

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 04.22.2006 9:47 am

Hi everybody. I passed the JLPT 2 in decmber after one year's study and I think that this year I would like to have a go at level 1. I am not expecting to pass, but I think it will encourage me to work harder anyway. I've had a look at some of the past papers, and while I'm sure I couldn't pass them yet, if I study hard I may have a chance by the end of the year. (especially as speaking and writing aren't tested :) ) Of course I still have a fair while before I actually need to decide whether to sign up for it.

Well I was wondering what books and resources people here recommend for working towards level 1, especially grammar books. I'm currently working through 完全マスター漢字, so I think that I should be OK with them. Since I'm not in a class, books with good explainations would be better than just practice questions.

Well I was just really wondering how other people studied towards this test and what their opinions of it were.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
hungryhotei

Native language: English

RE: 一級

Postby adam » Sat 04.22.2006 10:10 am

damn you passed the jlpt2 after only a year of study. Pretty impressive. Please share your secret.B)
adam

Postby Corybobory » Sat 04.22.2006 3:10 pm

Geez. After 8 years of study I still failed the sankyuu by 1.3%
Corybobory

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 04.23.2006 7:17 am

I recommend the 完全マスター series, but not just the Kanji book. You really need to get the whole set (grammar, kanji, vocabulary and 読解) to get a good basis for 一級. Good luck!
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hungryhotei » Sun 04.23.2006 5:54 pm

Adam, I'm sorry but my secret was just a lot of hard work. Well, that and manga.

thanks, Harisenbon.
I think I'll get those other 完全マスター books then, although I might wait on the 読解 until closer to the exam. I am dubious about the 語彙 book though. Its merged with level 2 and it sounds like it may just be a long list of words with a few examples, or at least no better than reading normally. Its only ¥1,155 though so I think I'll take the risk.
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 04.23.2006 11:18 pm

I don't like the goi book at all, but last year the goi section kicked my arse on 1kyuu. Defiantely drill those kanji, because they'll help you both on the kanji section and on the dokkai as well. The grammar book is also a must.

I suggest starting on the 読解 sooner rather than later only because it takes a while to get used to the question styles and whatnot.

I:m in the process of writing a JLPT tetsing program right now. I should be done with it in a couple of weeks. It'll have all the questions from the last few years of ikyu as well as the kanzen master series. When I finish it up, I:ll post a link. :)
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chchan45 » Tue 04.25.2006 7:32 pm

I passed level 2 some time ago. Looking at some past papers, I think level 1 is a big jump from level 2. Other than the increased kanji and vocabulary requirements:

1. The listening is more difficult. In level 2 all syllables are pronounced clearly, but speakers tend to "slur" their way through level 1. Also you need a good vocabulary to catch some questions.
2. There are more different types of kanji questions section. In level 2 it was just converting from kanji to hiragana and the other way round. In level 1 there is a type of question where you are given five sentences. The underlined hirgana in the sentence converts to the same kanji as one of the 4 other sentences and you have to work out which one it is.
3. All sorts of obscure sentence structures which never get used in real life are tested. It is extremely difficult to find any reading material or textbooks for level 1 grammar.
4. The reading part is longer and you have only 90 minutes.

I am addressing the issues by trying to grab hold of some anime and films with Japanese subtitles, studying for kanken and reading Japanese books. Personally I think it will take me another year of study before I can take level 1.

But thanks for the tip about the grammar. I will have a look at the 完全マスター grammar book when I am in London next time.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

RE: 一級/聞き取り

Postby coco » Tue 05.02.2006 9:50 pm

Clayさんのトップ画面の記事、[聞き取り Listening practice: Koi Nobori]にありますが、 kikitori_koinobori.zip [2645 kb]は大変よいプログラムです。これを継続して学習すれば、よい聞き取り練習になると思いますし、日本文化の一端を知ることもできます。2級〜1級挑戦者の方にお勧めです。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test