Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Spelling Bees

Spelling Bees

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Spelling Bees

Postby jinksys » Mon 04.24.2006 4:24 am

Do the japanese have spelling bees? And if they do, how and why?

I have been wondering about this because a) the japanese don't have names for each character like english does. b) the japanese "alphabet" is syllabic and therefore would make spelling very easy.

Anyone have any input into this?
Hello? Internets?
User avatar
jinksys
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat 01.29.2005 4:12 pm

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby wasurenagusa » Mon 04.24.2006 4:38 am

you are asking a question that ends up like this:-

# why do we call A an A
#why do we drink water when we are thirsty

so we have alphabets in English right from A to Z
and we drink water when we are thirsty and it wont be preferably be wine to have a sip into, while our chests are as dry as the Thar.
wasurenagusa
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue 04.11.2006 4:02 am

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby jinksys » Mon 04.24.2006 7:57 am

wasurenagusa wrote:
you are asking a question that ends up like this:-

# why do we call A an A
#why do we drink water when we are thirsty

so we have alphabets in English right from A to Z
and we drink water when we are thirsty and it wont be preferably be wine to have a sip into, while our chests are as dry as the Thar.


Thank you for that non-answer.
Hello? Internets?
User avatar
jinksys
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat 01.29.2005 4:12 pm

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby keatonatron » Mon 04.24.2006 8:05 am

In English, spelling is very important. If you spell a word wrong, the meaning can change and/or you will look stupid.

In Japanese, kanji is very important. If you write the wrong kanji/write a kanji incorrectly, the meaning can change and/or you will look stupid.

There aren't exactly kanji competitions, per se, but there is a standardized kanji test made for Japanese people that is very popular. Apparently entire families go together and take the test for their respective difficulty levels to see how well they know their kanji.
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby jinksys » Mon 04.24.2006 9:57 am

keatonatron wrote:
In English, spelling is very important. If you spell a word wrong, the meaning can change and/or you will look stupid.

In Japanese, kanji is very important. If you write the wrong kanji/write a kanji incorrectly, the meaning can change and/or you will look stupid.

There aren't exactly kanji competitions, per se, but there is a standardized kanji test made for Japanese people that is very popular. Apparently entire families go together and take the test for their respective difficulty levels to see how well they know their kanji.


Thank you! I did not know that :)
Hello? Internets?
User avatar
jinksys
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat 01.29.2005 4:12 pm

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby AJBryant » Mon 04.24.2006 12:58 pm

And the upper-levels of that test require an encyclopaedic knowledge of kanji with obscure readings that aren't used by 99.9% of the population. It's truly a brain buster.

Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby hungryhotei » Mon 04.24.2006 1:10 pm

b) the japanese "alphabet" is syllabic and therefore would make spelling very easy.


I couldn't spell all of those katakana loanwords to save my life, especially where to put the ッ and ー.
hungryhotei
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed 04.12.2006 5:06 am
Location: Germany
Native language: English

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 04.24.2006 3:20 pm

hungryhotei wrote:
b) the japanese "alphabet" is syllabic and therefore would make spelling very easy.


I couldn't spell all of those katakana loanwords to save my life, especially where to put the ッ and ー.


i hear that.
User avatar
burstandbloom
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue 11.08.2005 1:11 am
Location: 枚方市
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby aoisatomi » Mon 04.24.2006 5:19 pm

burstandbloom wrote:
hungryhotei wrote:
b) the japanese "alphabet" is syllabic and therefore would make spelling very easy.


I couldn't spell all of those katakana loanwords to save my life, especially where to put the ッ and ー.


i hear that.


very true, very true....
but, as for talking about what they do in japan, they would find it quite easy because they would hear the word and know what vowels were long and which had a pause. This is because there is a big difference in that. For example: anko = red bean jam ankou=angler fish

It would make sense about learned the kanji. :D
User avatar
aoisatomi
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun 04.09.2006 1:35 am

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.24.2006 7:28 pm

wasurenagusa wrote:
you are asking a question that ends up like this:-

# why do we call A an A
#why do we drink water when we are thirsty

so we have alphabets in English right from A to Z
and we drink water when we are thirsty and it wont be preferably be wine to have a sip into, while our chests are as dry as the Thar.


That's a real gem right there. ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
User avatar
tanuki
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sun 09.25.2005 9:00 pm
Location: South America

RE: Spelling Bees

Postby Ashurii » Mon 04.24.2006 8:41 pm

Not exactly a spelling bee, but I've also heard that speech contests are very popular in Japan. (Including speech contests for foreigners)
User avatar
Ashurii
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun 03.19.2006 4:46 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI
Native language: English
Gender: Female


Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests