Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Keyboard Layout

Japanese Keyboard Layout

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese Keyboard Layout

Postby dreamingxashley » Tue 04.05.2005 11:03 pm

Im wanting to learn the Japanese keyboard layout, so I dont have to rely on the virtual keyboard that is supplied with the IME. However, Im a little confused as to the whole layout... like, how do you switch between Hiragana and Katakana? capslock? I know shift will make the half-width kana useable...

I found this site, but is it the same as the IME virtual keyboard? 0__0

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_13211
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

RE: Japanese Keyboard Layout

Postby ben » Wed 04.06.2005 11:11 am

I am kinda confused too.
Learning slowly, but surely...

...maybe...
ben

Postby toryn » Thu 04.07.2005 4:02 am

When I'm using IME, I just use the spacebar to change a word from hiragana to katakana or kanji.
toryn

Postby faburisu » Thu 04.07.2005 1:54 pm

Cool, I didnt know what a JP keyboard looks like. Appears that they have a key next to right Alt, which switches from Hiragana to Katakana (it's written on it). Maybe it works with the Windows keys if you use the JP locale settings ?.
\"Pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is hard\"
faburisu

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.07.2005 1:56 pm

I was hoping someone had experience with using a regular keyboard with the IME, so they could tell us where each kana is located and if the windows key turns into the syllabary switcher... or whatever. :)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby faburisu » Fri 04.08.2005 9:22 am

This may help, though I dont see any keyboard map.

http://askit.uq.edu.au/itanswers/global ... nput_modes

Typing on the keyboard in this way seems complicated when you can use romaji input mode such as in JWPce or NJStar. So the question is.. if you want to learn to type as Japanese people do, is the IME keyboard mapping close enough to Japanese keyboards ?
faburisu

Postby faburisu » Fri 04.08.2005 9:44 am

Ok, I cant install IME on XP home, but I activated the language bar.

The default Hiragana input is the same as for JWPce or NJStar.

If you click "Direct Input" mode in there, and then click a little 'Kana' button on the language bar, then you can type in directly in Katakana with the mapping the same as on the webpage you have linked.

And apparently the Winblows(tm) keys 's use is unchanged, that is, they continue to waste space on my keyboard. So we have to click that Kana button on the language bar, lame.

If I dont click the Kana button while in Direct Input mode, it shows roman characters. If I click 'Kana', it shows Katakana. Now if you can find how to enter Hiragana I'd like to know!

PS: that's still pretty useless to me with JWPce or other as you can copy and paste. However the Space-bar look up for Kanji is nice. I wonder if Japanese people also have to use that sort of on the fly lookup for kanji compounds... I guess they cant fit 2000 + keys on a keyboard hehe

Ok, in Properties, you can set "Input mode" to Kana input if you like, that will work like 'direct' mode. Then you can assign something like Ctrl+K to "KanaToggle" and then you can type mixed hiragana/katakana in 'direct' mode, with the space bar kanji conversion on top. It works in roma-ji as well (ie type romaji and use the shortcut to swutch from hiragana to katakana).
Last edited by faburisu on Fri 04.08.2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
faburisu

Postby SCMurphy » Wed 05.04.2005 1:25 pm

To use the IME after getting it installed activate the language bar, select Japanese, when the bar expands for input method select Hiragana. Type the Romanji sounds and the Hiragana will show up in the program you are using. When you want to enter a Kanji, you can enter any reading then hit space and you will get a list of possible Kanji to select from, when you find the one you want hit enter. You might have to change the reading you are using if you are not finding the Kanji you want.

To enter Kana, type the Romanji, then hit enter. This avoids the 'interpretation' attempt. You can switch between the Kana by changing the input method. If you are trying to type in an English translation I recommend the half width alpha-numeric setting.

The long vowels are typed in as if they are doubled, you know "AA", you get the small vowel or bar added in with no effort, use "OU" where you should. Things like "HYO, SHA, VU and RYU" can be typed as such and the combination kana are given to you. To double a consonant type it twice and the small tsu will appear. It's pretty slick when you get used to it.

When typing sentences though you have to type "HA" to get the correct particle "WA", and as you would expect "HE" for "E" and "WO" for "O".

I'm also using the JWPce, which has a different approach but the same outcome. It's a slick program and I recommend it to everyone interested in typing Japanese.
SCMurphy

Return to Japanese General Discussion