Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rosetta Stone does not help teach a language.

Rosetta Stone does not help teach a language.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Rosetta Stone does not help teach a language.

Postby BatDan » Sat 04.29.2006 10:24 am

I recently purchased the Rosetta Stone language learning software which has ads in Newsweek, Time and other magazines like that. So trying to learn Japanese, I foolishly purchased the expensive first level (along with my mother since I'm a minor and I don't have a damn job because my mother is a fool). This program is crap. The first lesson doesn't teach the Hiragana but instead tells you to match "girl" in Romaji to a picture of a girl.

Same with boy, dog, and cat. You do have the options of setting it to Kana or Kanji but since they don't teach you the letters. What's the f'ing point? I continue on and it's now young adult boy, young adult girl, airplane, and car. All with the same three options.

Now, I want to get rid of this program. Since I don't think this is the best way to learn Japanese at all. But since we spent $194 on it, that isn't a good idea. Damn. I read somewhere that there was a 90 day return gurantee.

So, the point of this topic is. Don't f'ing buy Rosetta Stone. It's a waste of money. They scam you in saying their the best but you never get a chance to try it out.

Did anyone else have an experience with this software?
BatDan

RE: Rosetta Stone does not help teach a language.

Postby kotori » Sat 04.29.2006 10:28 am

Yep. It teaches you the language, you're just too impatient. The lessons escalate into sentences and such.

Rosetta Stone is full immersion learning. How do you think little children learn a language? You give them a picture, point to it, and say "chipmunk". The child looks at it, and you turn the page. There's the chipmunk again, doing something else. "Chipmunk," you say again.

It's a really slow process for children, but faster for adults. You already know it's a girl, so you can make that english association while the voice gives you the japanese word.

I found Rosetta Stone to be immensely satisfying, however, I couldn't afford the full system. It's not the program's fault that you are too impatient, but you're not going to find other methods of learning japanese to be any faster. Nothing happens overnight. Hold onto that program, you'll go back to it eventually when all your other options turn out to not be overnight successes.
kotori

Postby AJBryant » Sat 04.29.2006 11:51 am

What kotori said.

OTOH, Rosetta does have limitations. It teaches spoken language. That's fine for another romaji-using lingo like German, Italian, Spanish, or French where you can blunder into the spelling at any time. For Russian, Arabic, Greek, Chinese, and Japanese, Rosetta really isn't that hot as an all-around language tool.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby kotori » Sat 04.29.2006 12:44 pm

Well, it does have the option to display in kana and kanji. If you learn hiragana and katakana independently, it does help quite a bit for recognition practice (though not writing)
kotori

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.29.2006 1:44 pm

Yeah, you do get to see kana and kanji with it. But BatDan, don't expect some sort of program that will act like a Vulcan mind-meld or something so you can instantaniously pick up the language. If you're starting from scratch, you'll need to learn simple vocab like boy and girl and dog. I bet after you were born you didn't pop out reciting Shakespeare. After a year or so you started with simple vocab and built your way up to complex grammar. I know the RosettaStone lessons only take a few minutes so you should be able to go through several lessons in one day or at least go until you pick up enough to "fill your brain" for one day. Sounds like it's not your mom who's the fool. Sounds like you're being foolish and impatient.

*edit* even I make grammar mistakes.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sat 04.29.2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 04.29.2006 3:23 pm

hmm... ill send you an passage then.
TrilinguisT

Postby sgtkwol » Sat 04.29.2006 6:32 pm

I have mixed feelings about this program. I would not have bought the program, but since I was able to get it for free (and legally, I promise), I am glad I was able to get through a few lessons. I would not have liked to try and begin using it, and the program uses some words that are rare to see in kanji form like 達-たち. Each lesson should take roughly 15-25 minutes to do. I would recommend learning all kana before starting, and be patient.
If you are in a foreign land where they don't understand your native tongue, just speak louder and slower...in the language that they don't know.
sgtkwol

Postby kiitsune » Sat 04.29.2006 6:39 pm

I have the program.. I never really used it, .. somehow my dad dowloaded the whole package.......
Last edited by kiitsune on Sat 04.29.2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiitsune

Postby nihongogakusei » Sat 04.29.2006 11:03 pm

I've got to disagree with you, BatDan. While I agree that certain lessons are difficult, the program has worked wonders for my Japanese. It requires a lot of patience though. If you really find that you don't like it, just return it. I like the Japanese one so much that I bought another Rosetta Stone title. In any case, good luck with your study! :)
nihongogakusei

Return to Japanese General Discussion