Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.22.2006 11:22 am

Kirama, we got the idea with the first posting. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 02.22.2006 5:12 pm

Henry Hill: [narrating] And then there was Jimmy Two Times, who got that nickname because he said everything twice, like:

Jimmy Two Times: I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers
B)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby meiloyn » Wed 02.22.2006 5:29 pm

I think I figured that out a long time ago. I think a lot. Especially when there is nothing going on.

Sometimes, when I look at my Japanese dictionary, I compare kanji with prefixes and suffixes, like the suffix in the word psychology. I dunno. I can't verbally explain this.

I wonder how on bloody earth people communicate and fully understand stuff when they type in chopped up, grammar-less English. It'd be nice if people would actually put grammar into their messages! They know it well, so it isn't complicated! *holds up a torch*
You have the right to remain an idiot. Anything you say can and will be IGNORED!
meiloyn

Postby meiloyn » Wed 02.22.2006 5:38 pm

Daisuke wrote:
J_lima09 wrote:
kanji is impossible to learn:(

Kanji may look like an impossible task, but it is not. Keep studying and studying, remember to review much. Before you know, you will read many kanji.
I swear, English has LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of words. It's like Kanji. Why, I just learned a new word, gaiety the other day! O_o I'm sure it's the same way with Kanji, even for native Japanese.
You have the right to remain an idiot. Anything you say can and will be IGNORED!
meiloyn

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 02.22.2006 9:26 pm

Hey you know what site is really great for learning kanji? go to http://www.msu.edu/~lakejess/kanjigame.html

(if for any reason the link doesn't work just search for it on Google--it'll be the first thing that comes up)
Pianogirl123

Postby Vatina » Tue 03.28.2006 2:58 am

Spaztick wrote:(after I finished my danish, of course)

Daisuke wrote:(And when i read "after I finished my danish, of course" i became a little confused, but thats the name of something you eat for breakfast right..?)

I know it's off-topic, but I couldn't help it ;) Yes, danish can be something you eat.... but it is also a language, so the first time I read it, I thought for a minute that you were studying danish as well xD lol

Back on topic... ^^; learning over a 1.000 kanji does seem very hard. I guess I'll try to use some of your advice on learning/guessing some of the kanji's meaning from context, after knowing some more of them.
Vatina

Postby Gatts » Tue 04.11.2006 12:48 am

Hi. So far I've learned about 94 kanji, although some of them I don't fully know, especially all of the readings. I see this thread is kinda old but though I would ask anyway. I've been focusing on stroke order, meanings and combinations while only glancing at the readings for pronunciation of the words. Right now, I can't understand how I would learn the many different readings of each kanji by just memorizing all the on and kun. While almost at 100 kanji, I'm becoming unsure how I would retain what little I've learned. Any advice?
Gatts

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 04.11.2006 2:30 am

Only learn readings for Kanji which you actually come across. That will give you less things to memorize. The key to retaining Kanji is reviewing them often, making sure you still remember how to recognize and write them.
Schattenjedi

RE: hard

Postby chrisatron » Sat 04.29.2006 5:22 pm

damn this is hard i only started like today i only now how to count up to 10 in japanese lol

inchi ni san shi go roku shi shi hichi kyuu ju

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

=P
i can\'t belive im actully lerning japanese
chrisatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 04.29.2006 7:36 pm

i only now how to count up to 10 in japanese

Well.... Kinda. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 05.01.2006 11:19 pm

chrisatron wrote:
damn this is hard i only started like today i only now how to count up to 10 in japanese lol

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

=P

ichi ni san shi go roku shichi hachi kyuu juu

you were close though ;)
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

RE: Converting Japanese to Hiragana

Postby macgruder » Tue 05.02.2006 12:15 am

This site converts and translates Kanji to Hiragana and Romaji

http://j-talk.com/nihongo/

The output is blindingly fast, and you can navigate through websites too. I use it all the time, and find it very accurate, and the interface is much more elegant than other similar sites that I have seen. The demo translation is good for a laugh too. Perhaps the owner doesn't like cats!

Last edited by macgruder on Tue 05.02.2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
macgruder

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 05.08.2006 10:46 pm

Why does it say 50% Fat Free in the corner? :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby hungryhotei » Mon 05.08.2006 10:53 pm

Convert Kanji to hiragana? So its just like a dictionary without a definition? Whats the point?

Or does it do names really well? I could do with a tool that tells me how to read names.
hungryhotei

Postby maco » Thu 05.11.2006 7:55 pm

I am studying kanji right now to get the meanings, not the pronunciations. I study them by writing over and over and over while saying what it means, then asking myself a word in English (from a flashcard) and seeing if I can write it. I use writing because, while I may only need to recognize them, I find that I know it much better and can recognize much faster without worrying about mixing any kanji up if I learn to write them rather than to just read them. Every day I add 5-10 new kanji and go over the old ones. A lot of them, I know how to pronounce, I just never connected the kanji to it because I only ever used the hiragana. In those cases, I say the Japanese meaning/word/pronunciation instead of English. I also find it more useful to know the pronunciations in context than individual. I'd rather not memorize a list of 10 pronunciations. Instead, I know that chichi can also be pronounced fu because I know how fubo is prounounced. I know it from the compound, rather than just knowing that that's some other way to prounounce it.
maco

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test