Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - word tanks .. any advice?

word tanks .. any advice?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

word tanks .. any advice?

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.26.2006 1:05 pm

I am looking for a word tank (obviously japanese/english)

I had one in 1989 and it was good, but it died the other day.. what, if any, have you used and what is your impression of that model..

thanks for the input ..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

RE: word tanks .. any advice?

Postby alex_2096 » Wed 04.26.2006 1:55 pm

I suggest looking at the most popular site on the web http://www.yahoo.com
thats probably your best bet.
EDIT: actually check out if these are any help http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=255
Last edited by alex_2096 on Wed 04.26.2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_2096

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 04.27.2006 1:45 am

I like the G50 and the C50 (keitai version)

They should come out with G60 at somepoint in the near future. If you're planning on getting a brand new one, It might be best to hold out for that.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby opsidol » Thu 04.27.2006 1:51 am

What is a word tank?
私の間違いを直してください。
opsidol

Postby Frumious Boojum » Thu 04.27.2006 12:25 pm

Think of a word tank as a portable electronic dictionary....
Frumious Boojum

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 04.30.2006 2:41 am

Specifically, the Electronic Dictionary made by Canon, with the brand name "Word Tank" ;)

There is also the Sharp Ex-word and one other brand, but cannon pretty much has the foreigner market cornered (at least where I live).
Harisenbon

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.01.2006 1:45 pm

thanks for the replys so far.

can i assume then that very few of you use "word tanks" or that none of you really want to share you expereiences with your word tanks?

I really would like to put some substance behind my next purchase.. i used a canon back in the day. and the g50 looks nice but then so does the other two.. and with 2-4 hundred dollars difference i would like a bit more than a yahoo search to help..
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Mon 05.01.2006 2:35 pm

I don't have a word tank. Instead, I have a Palm with PADict installed.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 05.01.2006 7:44 pm

If you can find the G50, BUY IT.
The recenetly upgraded to the G55, which has a 1.5 second loadup and shutdown screen. You may not think that 1.5 seconds is a lot, but when you're used to flipping open your dictionary, looking up a word and flipping it shut, 1.5 seconds is an eternity.

I love my C50 just because it:s so tiny that I can carry it anywhere and not be hampered by it. There are a few less words than in the G50, but the J-J is more than competent, so any words that aren't in the J-E can be found in the J-J.
Harisenbon

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.02.2006 11:01 am

well, i do have a tungsten e2, maybe i should do the dictionary on it as well and see if that works...
two_heads_talking

Postby Frumious Boojum » Tue 05.02.2006 12:10 pm

I'd use a word tank if I had one...

Until then, I have a program for my Nintendo DS that has J-E, E-J, and J-J dictionaries (plus some other useful features). $50 compared to the $300+ for the ones I want is a much better deal.
Frumious Boojum

Postby kiitsune » Tue 05.02.2006 12:25 pm

That`s so SUGOI! I want one :D.. I`ll have to save my money for one though ._.
kiitsune

Postby colind » Tue 05.02.2006 12:30 pm

Yeh I have a worktank V80. Like Harisenbon mentioned, this one also has the start up screen and yes it is quite annoying.
But I like this dictionary, it has J-J, J-E, E-J... AND... Chinese-E, E-Ch, J-Ch, Ch-J
Which is pretty good for me because I'm into Chinese a little as well and also comes in handy if I need to help one of my Chinese friends out.
Oh... a good point about this dictionary is, it has a little stylus that you can use to write kanji. That comes in handy if you can't find a kanji any other way. Although in fact I haven't used it that much.
Another good point about Wordtanks... is they come with multi-lingual menu. So you can set your menu to English if you want (even though mine is in Japanese).
So worktanks are great. If you're in Japan, I highly suggest you go to the local store and just try out the dictionaries and choose the one best for you. If not... do a lot of search on the net. Google is your friend! :)
colind

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.02.2006 4:57 pm

if only i could drop into the local store in Sendai.. but that was a long time ago. and trips to japan just aren't in the budget as of late.. i will look into the palm technology and see what i can find until i can better utilize my money on a word tank.
two_heads_talking

Postby clay » Tue 05.02.2006 5:31 pm

The Canon Wordtanks are much different from the wordtanks of the 90s (the IDX models). Back then they cornered the foreigner market by offering English manuals and the 'jump' function (see an unknown word, highlight it and 'jump' to the J-E dictionary). Now other companies (Seiko, Sharp, Casio, etc) all have jump function.

Canon has a few models with full English models still (V80 and IDF-3000) but not many. Most other companies don't have any English. Seiko has an English section. All Canon models also have the option to turn on English for the menu language. Not a big deal, but no other company does that.

Like Harisenbon mentioned, the G55, V80 and newer models all have the most annoying smiley face start up and shutdown screen. It wastes 1.5 precious seconds of your lookup time. Sometimes, believe it or not, that makes all the difference. The G50 (which is a great machine without the startup screen) was replace by the G55 and isn't being made now. I doubt there are any 'new' models left.

The V80 is probably the most popular model now because it allows you to draw unknown kanji on the screen. It does a fair job of finding the kanji you are looking for. It even gives you 10 or so extra choices just in case it was wrong on the main choice. It has a full English manual.

Canon recently came out with two new models that improve on the V80. Like the V80 these two models, G90 and V90, allow you to draw unknown kanji (both Japanese and Chinese kanji) on the screen. They all have Chinese-Japanese-English (all the way around) dictionaries. But the G90 and V90 have more and better dictionaries (for both Chinese and English) than the V80. The only difference between the G90 and V90 is the V90 has voice for English and Chinese. NOT for Japanese. But Japanese pronunciation really isn't necessary since it is so regular. That is why I am kind of excited about the G90.

The biggest and baddest Canon out there now is the G70 which has Kenkyuusha's (I think it is their brand) HUGE J-E dictionary called the 'green goddess'. All other dictionaries (except the Seiko SR-E10000) have tiny J-E even if they have a good E-J. Having a good J-E is important since you will be more likely to look up unknown Japanese than English words. Since these machines are made first for Japanese learning English, they have been slow in adding a good J-E dictionary.

That being said, not finding a word in the J-E means you seach the J-J (always big and nice - usually kojien). This means you will be practicing your Japanese while looking up words. Not bad, but frustrating if you can't figure out the meaning.

The G70 is expensive, but may be worth it for the translator or someone wanting the best. The V80 and G90 are excellent choices for a meager J-E but excellent draw-on-screen-the-unknown-kanji ability.

I can't wait to see what will happen in the next few years. An ideal dictionary for people learning Japanese would have 3 features:
1) a superb J-E dictionary (like the G70)
2) ability to draw unknown kanji with a stylus (like the V80, V90 and G90)
3) a "Furigana button" - this would have furigana appear above or to the right of each kanji/jukugo when pressed. So far this is just in my dreams and Canon hasn't asked me my opinion.

One day someone will create a perfect dictionary for Japanese learners. Until then, there are some excellent choices, but not perfect.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips