Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do I say....

How do I say....

Japanese, general discussion on the language

How do I say....

Postby darkmis29 » Thu 04.07.2005 1:45 pm

How do I say:

I love Japan! and I am Canadian!

in japanese? (can you please put it in japanese words and characters).Thanks.
Last edited by darkmis29 on Thu 04.07.2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥  愛している  ♥
darkmis29
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun 03.13.2005 1:05 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Riley » Thu 04.07.2005 3:31 pm

well i'm not that good at japanese yet but i hope i get this right...if not someone will correct me i'm sure :)
1. i am canadian- わたしは カナダじん です (watashi wa kanadajin desu)
2. i love japan- 日本 を すき です (nihon wo suki desu)
User avatar
Riley
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon 01.31.2005 11:12 am

RE: How do I say....

Postby strange368 » Thu 04.07.2005 4:21 pm

I believe the second phrase should be
日本が好きです。 (nihon ga suki desu)

There should be a が (ga) instead of a を (wo)
strange368
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun 04.03.2005 12:03 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Riley » Thu 04.07.2005 4:59 pm

yeah it does make more sense :D thanks
User avatar
Riley
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon 01.31.2005 11:12 am

RE: How do I say....

Postby darkmis29 » Thu 04.07.2005 6:22 pm

thank u sooo much! :)
♥  愛している  ♥
darkmis29
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun 03.13.2005 1:05 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 04.07.2005 6:24 pm

Riley wrote:
well i'm not that good at japanese yet but i hope i get this right...if not someone will correct me i'm sure :)
1. i am canadian- わたしは カナダじん です (watashi wa kanadajin desu)
2. i love japan- 日本 を すき です (nihon wo suki desu)


i guess ur write


but i wouldnt use suki as a substitue for love

although using ai is out of the question

i would use daisuki because its closer to love but less than like
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby nailsoft » Thu 04.07.2005 6:46 pm

Why would it be ga and not wo? Isn't Japan the direct object?
Last edited by nailsoft on Thu 04.07.2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nailsoft
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu 04.07.2005 6:46 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.07.2005 8:49 pm

nailsoft wrote:
Why would it be ga and not wo? Isn't Japan the direct object?


Not really, since 好き isn't a verb - it's an adjective.

This is often difficult for English speakers to understand, because in English, "to like" is a verb. In Japanese, however, it is an adjective, and so a more direct translation of a sentence like 私は日本が好きです would be "I (have the quality of) admired Japan."

Since this sounds so awkward in English, we usually just translate the adjective 好き as the verb "to like," but don't let that trick you into thinking that it's a verb in Japanese, as well.
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: How do I say....

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 04.07.2005 11:23 pm

Mukade wrote:
nailsoft wrote:
Why would it be ga and not wo? Isn't Japan the direct object?


Not really, since 好き isn't a verb - it's an adjective.

This is often difficult for English speakers to understand, because in English, "to like" is a verb. In Japanese, however, it is an adjective, and so a more direct translation of a sentence like 私は日本が好きです would be "I (have the quality of) admired Japan."

Since this sounds so awkward in English, we usually just translate the adjective 好き as the verb "to like," but don't let that trick you into thinking that it's a verb in Japanese, as well.



A correction 好き is neither a verb nor an adjictive

its in a special class of words known as the "Copula" which is the special useage of inflicted verbs

so grammatically Suki is a copula Noun.


not trying to put u down but im taking hardcore classes and they break things down into categories like that.


but you are correct it is a verb in english but when it translates over its usage switches over to that of a noun.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.07.2005 11:56 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
A correction 好き is neither a verb nor an adjictive its in a special class of words known as the "Copula" which is the special useage of inflicted verbs so grammatically Suki is a copula Noun.


I stand corrected.

As a copula noun, though, it operates within a sentence pretty much exactly like a な-adjective. So, it would have が as its identifying particle, it would be attached to other nouns with な, would be listed in adjective/copula sequences with で, etc, etc.

This is probably the reason I had it labeled in my mind as an adjective.

Thanks for pointing out the distinction.
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: How do I say....

Postby Riley » Fri 04.08.2005 7:38 am

*confused* now i'm confused...would it be right to use "wo" and to say:
watashi wa nihon wo suki desu
?
User avatar
Riley
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon 01.31.2005 11:12 am

RE: How do I say....

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 04.08.2005 8:40 am

Riley wrote:
*confused* now i'm confused...would it be right to use "wo" and to say:
watashi wa nihon wo suki desu
?


No, が is the particle used in front of 好き.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: How do I say....

Postby Spaztick » Fri 04.08.2005 11:48 am

"ga" I think of as a sort of indirect particle, so I can think of it as "I like Japan."

You can't use gasuki with a direct particle, because that means that you "like Japan" in the same sense that you "play Japan" or "talk Japan" or "jump Japan."

My thoughts on it. I think my thinking is a lot easier than when people write out grammar papers on Japanese, even if it's not totally correct.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
User avatar
Spaztick
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue 01.25.2005 7:04 pm

RE: How do I say....

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 04.08.2005 12:45 pm

What does XD mean?
Schattenjedi
 

RE: How do I say....

Postby Spaztick » Fri 04.08.2005 2:37 pm

XD is a laughing smilie face.

Kind of like >.< except with a smile, ya know, a guy laughing so hard his eyes are closed.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
User avatar
Spaztick
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue 01.25.2005 7:04 pm

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests