Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I got a problem with my learning...

I got a problem with my learning...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

I got a problem with my learning...

Postby Go-ruden Naito » Thu 04.07.2005 1:42 pm

The problem is that I was learning my japanese from this other website and all of the sudden it got all hard and they don't explain anything very well so I dont understand a thing. Now I was trying to continue here but I dont know where i should start from.
Last edited by Go-ruden Naito on Thu 04.07.2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
すべてあなたの日本語属する私達へ。
Go-ruden Naito

RE: I got a problem with my learning...

Postby Daisuke » Thu 04.07.2005 2:30 pm

How much Japanese do you know?
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Go-ruden Naito » Fri 04.08.2005 9:52 am

Well I don't know a lot.
すべてあなたの日本語属する私達へ。
Go-ruden Naito

Postby battousai » Fri 04.08.2005 10:23 am

The main problem I see with most people around here is they think they can find a quick and easy tutorial. This might be so for other things, but definitely not with language. As amazingly helpful as sites like these can be, they're far from complete or detailed the way a classroom setting would be. The main fault in them comes in that they do not follow any planned regimen, rather, they give readers a goodie bag of info and let the reader decide what they'll learn and in what order they'll learn it. In my opinion, this is a great disadvantage to those that do try to learn themselves because they usually skip fundamentals early that confuse them when they encounter them later.

What I'm saying is, it is hard to guage anyone's skill level that has been reading websites by just asking "how much do you know?" My advice to the original poster is, because you're taking the website route, you can begin anywhere you want. Whether this is to your advantage or not depends on how dilligent you are with the study. If you've already studied a certain topic, than studying it again at this site wouldn't be prudent would it? This site in general isn't one that is laid out lesson by lesson like other sites might be. Like I said, it is more of a dictionary type website with everything in categories. If you take the study seriously, then map out the website with what you will and will not learn and go from there. There really isn't a place where someone could just point you to and say "this is the spot you should be".

Nonetheless, in my opinion, always begin with basic grammar to understand how particles, nouns, and verbs work. Then move on to master kana. Then continue with grammar and vocab, and learning kanji should always be last. This is usually the preferred method for most, and even if you're teaching yourself, if you break up your studies into these categories, you'll be ahead of the game in the end.
Last edited by battousai on Fri 04.08.2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
battousai

Postby Daisuke » Fri 04.08.2005 10:28 am

It wasn't my intention to tell him where he should begin at all. I just had to know what he knew, if i should be able to give any suggestions.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Go-ruden Naito » Fri 04.08.2005 10:36 am

ありがち:D
すべてあなたの日本語属する私達へ。
Go-ruden Naito

Return to Japanese General Discussion