fbpx

5 Comments

October 10, 2007

Yubikiri Genman – Making promises even if you are not a Yakuza

Here is a cute little song children and some childish adults use to cement promises. To make your promises seem authentic, all you have to do is hook your pinky with someone and sing the song below. However, I am not sure what ‘genman’ is:*
The YUBI KIRI Song
[display_podcast]
(Sorry, I don’t know why, but the MP3 is playing faster than normal. We did NOT harm any chipmonks during the production of this song)
Yubikiri Genman - Making promises even if you are not a Yakuza指切りげんまん、
yubi kiri genman
“yubi kiri genman”
うそ ついたら
uso tsuitara
If (you) tell a lie…
針 千本 飲ます
hari sen bon nomasu
Drink 1000 needles
指切った。
yubi kitta
(and) cut (my) finger.
VOCAB:
yubi – finger
切り kiri – cut, a cut
げんまん gen man – see discussion at bottom
うそ uso – lie, a lie
うそ ついたら uso tsuitara – If tell a lie
hari – needle, pin
針千本 hari sen bon – 1000 needles. [the 本 is used to count needles – a thousand 千 to be precise]
飲ます nomasu – give a drink, cause to drink [same as 飲ませる]
指切った yubi kitta – finger cut

You may think this pleasant song is only sung by children of Yakuza, but you’d be wrong. Yakuza, as you probably know from the movies, are Japanese gangsters. If a member goes to prison they cut off a digit as a way to prove they are still committed to the underworld. I met a man, now a Christian, who had done this three times. Twice on one pinky and one digit on the other.

• I looked up げんまん in the Kenkyusha J-E. It simply says it means to hook little fingers as a token of a promise. I then looked it up in the 広辞苑 (koujien) J-J. It says the same, basic thing. But it gives the kanji: 拳万 (fist + 10,000)

Sharing is caring!

• I believe genman translates to “punch a thousand times”
    Making it roughly. “If you break the promise I will punch you ten thousand times, make you eat a thousand needles and cut off your pinky.”

• konnichiwa~
    I was looking up the internet for a good way to explain the yubikiri song in English, and I really like the way you do it =D
    I hope you don’t mind me linking your page.
    (err… actually i already did > < )
    4-6-4-9

• {"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>