Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In Japan for month... need help please!!!

In Japan for month... need help please!!!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

In Japan for month... need help please!!!

Postby Youshen » Mon 04.17.2006 3:05 pm

So I will be "living" in Japan for a month this summer (most likely the month of August). The most I've spent in Japan before has been about 2 hours (a layover at the airport), so I don't know much about Japan. I will be staying with a family there. For the entire month, I'm thinking about bringing 85000yen. I figure that I will be eating with my hosts often, and many other times I will be treated by those that we will be with over there. However, will 85000yen be sufficient to last me throughout the month for travel (i.e. bus, cab, etc), extra food/drink and misc. things like gifts, etc? Any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks.

Youshen
Youshen

RE: In Japan for month... need help please!!!

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 04.17.2006 4:44 pm

Yes, but you will HAVE to budget yourself. Plan on not buying souvenirs until the end and plan in advance how much you want to save for those. It can be very easy to go over budget at places like restaurants and izakaya. You can save a lot of money by cooking for yourself (fried rice/ramen/curry are all very easy to make). 20000/week is a very difficult budget to stick to. It's very possible to spend 10000/week on trains, but it's also possible that you can spend that much on trains over the whole month. It just depends on where you'll be and where you want to go.
Shibakoen

Postby Youshen » Mon 05.08.2006 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info. However, I won't be traveling by train too much. I believe we will be traveling a little by bus/taxi... also, my friends have their international drivers license, so we could always rent out a car, or borrow one. Also, there will be a LOT of people that could give us rides/transportation to where we are wanting to go. So, with that being said, would 85,000 yen be sufficient for all other costs?

Youshen
Youshen

Postby Oyaji » Mon 05.08.2006 10:39 pm

There is a lot to do in Japan that doesn't cost any money. You could probably find many fascinating things just wandering around the neighborhood. You could probably spend the better part of a day just wandering around a supermarket. Many famous temples and shrines charge entrance fees, but you can freely wander around in most local ones.

There are lots of festivals in the summer. Don't miss the local Bon odori festival around the middle of the month. My first Bon odori festival (some thirty years ago) is what hooked me on Japanese culture.

It depends on your spending habits, but 85,000 CAN be more than enough.
Oyaji

Postby SuzuQ » Tue 05.09.2006 12:33 am

I guess 85,000 yen will be enough if you go everywhere with your host family and they pay everything for you except souvenirs.

Here are some information about the price in case you have to pay everything for yourself.
- Eating in somewhere like MacDonald or Burgerking, 500-700 yen will be enough.
- Eating in a noraml restaurant (what Japanese call "family restaurant"), it will cost about 1500-2000 yen.
- Eating and drinking in Izakaya (japanese-style bar), maybe you will need 3000-4000 yen.
- Renting a car is about 6000-10000+ for a day.(depends on a car)
but if you just drive around your house, i don't recommand it because the gas and parking fee is so high.
- Train is very useful if you live in a big city. It's cheaper than any other transportation.
- Buying a can of drink from vending machines is about 120-150 yen.
- Entering fee for a temple in some famous sightseeing places is usually 500-800 yen.
SuzuQ

Postby keatonatron » Tue 05.09.2006 2:56 am

I usually spend 1,000 yen a day for food... and that's really modest. On days when I'm feeling "normal" I probably spend 1500-2000 (I mean eating out, not homecooked meals). If you're staying with a family that generally eats meals together, I assume they'd provide food for you too. It'd be really rude not to.

When I first read 85,000 that seemed really high to me. I assume you don't have to pay rent, right? I probably spend 100,000 a month total, and 53,000 of that is rent. Granted I don't ride the train much or buy souvenirs or go sightseeing, but...

If you were going to be staying in hotels and eating in restaraunts the whole time 85,000 would maybe be the minimum for a month-long stay, but if you're living with a family that should be more than enough.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Kates » Tue 05.09.2006 9:48 am

When I travelled in Japan, I found several large cities offered a train day-pass. It isn't advertised so well, but it's a really great deal if you're going to be sight-seeing around Kyoto or Oosaka or something. The trains are so convenient for in-city travelling, and you could end up spending a lot of yen on them. I'd suggest checking into that if you have plans to sight-see in any city in Japan. ^_^

Oh and... advice from a book-lover, if you are one yourself... make sure you either 1) leave a lot of empty room in your suitcase for things to take home or 2) bring extra money for shipping-home fees. >_< I mailed home one large box after my first 9-week stay in Japan and it cost me a pretty penny... er, yen. You know. >_> Just make sure you know how to get all the stuff you buy there back home. ^_^
Kates

Postby Youshen » Tue 05.09.2006 2:42 pm

Well, I would expect to eat out a lot, as well as eat with the family a lot. I love trying new restraunts and foods. However, since I don't drink, I think I wil be saving a lot of money on my food money.

I know I will do a few site seeing trips while we are there, but I don't expect to be traveling too much. I will be quite busy while I am there (and I know I won't be going to temples or shrines) so I hope I can save some money there.

I know that I'm going to loose money on the souvineres though... haha, so what type of money am I looking at having to pay if I ship stuff back to the U.S.?

Youshen
Youshen

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.09.2006 4:13 pm

find the local shops.. ramen, soba, curry, sushi and ask around to see what others suggest. most local shops are very inexpensive to eat at.. the larger restaurant types will cost you dearly..

there might even be a tabehodai (sort of an all you can eat korean style bbq) where you take frozen meats and fresh vegetables and fry them up on a grill which is built into your table.. (for good reason, some of these places are very finiky when a GAIJIN walks in)
two_heads_talking

Postby Oyaji » Wed 05.10.2006 10:14 am

Youshen wrote:
I know I won't be going to temples or shrines

I am curious as to why you say that. Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines are where you can find some of the best examples of traditional architecture, art, landscaping, and most other traditional Japanese culture, usually at very little cost (keeping things on topic.) Most of the famous places in Kyoto, Nara, Kamakura, and such are temples and shrines.

If it is for religious reasons, other than showing the appropriate respect and reverence, there needn't be any religious implications in visiting such culturally rich places.

You obviously have your reasons for going where you will go, but it just seems a shame to come to Japan and miss out on a major part of its culture.
Oyaji

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.10.2006 11:39 am

But of course, once you've seen two or three temples and shrines you've seen 'em all. ;) I suggest checking out at least one of each, but make sure you go to a large, famous/important one. Also, temples cost money to enter but shrines don't.

I have the feeling shipping stuff to the states isn't that expensive... but I haven't sent anything over the size of a book, so I don't really know. My advice is to only take one suitcase besides your carry-ons, and then on the way back you can use your second checked-baggage slot for a box full of stuff you bought. You've already paid for the plane ticket, might as well make use of it to get free (and fast!) shipping as well.
keatonatron

Postby Youshen » Thu 05.11.2006 1:04 pm

So it seems that living comfortably (meaning, eating well and enjoying different sites and attractions, as well as buying suveneirs) means that I should bring along something like 100,000 yen? Is that the consensus?

And I don't know Oyaji, I might check out a temple... but like you said, it is a religious reason, so even though there might not be religious implications, there could be other difficulties... but regardless, I will conduct myself with the appropriate respect and reverence wherever I go.. I pride myself in not being a Gaijin.

Speaking of Gaijins... two_heads_taling... there will be a few tabehodai where I am going... what do you mean they will be finiky?

Youshen
Youshen

Postby keatonatron » Thu 05.11.2006 7:24 pm

Youshen wrote:
I pride myself in not being a Gaijin.

This cracks me up.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.12.2006 8:44 am

Youshen wrote:

Speaking of Gaijins... two_heads_taling... there will be a few tabehodai where I am going... what do you mean they will be finiky?

Youshen

traditionally, americans, or other gaijins are seen as people that eat too much.. if you go with one or two people, no one will do or say anything.. a big group of 5 or 6 and the manager may ask for a sitting fee.. (these are/were my experiences and you may not ever see or hear anything like this, I just thought I would give you a heads up..)

I would use the tabehodai at least once a week. and I was able to get to know the owner.. a very nice family they were..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 05.12.2006 9:39 am

I've heard that a tabehoudai place near an American navy base stopped letting Americans in. I assume if you go somewhere that isn't used to lots of Americans coming in, they wouldn't mind.

Leave it to a few big eaters to ruin it for the rest of us :@ (luckily, I don't live near there so it doesn't really affect me)
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan