Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - red string

red string

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

red string

Postby queshaw » Tue 05.09.2006 4:13 am

I'm starting to really like this online comic:

http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

I wonder how it is perceived by people from Japan, since the mangaka isn't Japanese. The part I'm reading right now concerns a sort of bullying incident in a Japanese school and the main character standing up for the person. I wonder how the way it is done would be perceived.

I have only started reading Manga. I became interested in Japanese language first (for various reasons) and then have started to look at Manga, except that I had read Nausicaa before.

The next manga I read was Chobits, which I thought was profound actually.

I also read the first book of Parasyte which I thought was excellent, but now I'm bothered to find out that it will probably be pretty long before I can get #5... The new one is $200 on amazon!! The cheapest used edition is $90. Ridiculous.

I read "STONe" which was kind of cute but slightly flawed. It has pirates... One with a hook for a hand... It's sort of like waterworld + the 2nd starwars movie that came out (whichever episode that is), but with a cute girl with pink hair (as seen in black and white), playing Luke Skywalker/the litle girl with the map on her back in waterworld.

I'm reading Onegai Teacher. I didn't like the first Anime so I ordered the next 2 from netflix and watched them, to make sure I didn't like it. Now I'll read the manga to be especially certain about it.

These are in queue:

Parasyte 2-4

コードホームは セーラーV Codename Sailor V (in Japanese) which I hope I can practice some kanji in context with, (so I can learn useful phrases for my real life) and try to match up with an English translation. I hope it's actually coming. I think my order for this from a person on ebay might be responsible for the Japanese email spam I've started to get.

Do you have any advice for stuff that is arty or cerebral...
queshaw

RE: red string

Postby colorpen » Tue 05.09.2006 4:47 am

wooo... interesting... anywhere to get the japanese version?? that will be truly great coz the translated version is already here... :D
colorpen

Postby jinksys » Tue 05.09.2006 4:51 am

colorpen wrote:
wooo... interesting... anywhere to get the japanese version?? that will be truly great coz the translated version is already here... :D

That isn't the translated version, thats the original. It's a webcomic drawn manga style. So, the translated version would actually be in japanese :)
Last edited by jinksys on Tue 05.09.2006 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby queshaw » Thu 05.11.2006 3:14 am

Oh, I noticed that there is actually a japanese translation:

http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/lang/japanese/japanese_01-intro.html

I also saw her comic got picked up by a distributor. Good for her.
queshaw

Postby jinksys » Thu 05.11.2006 3:47 am

queshaw wrote:
Oh, I noticed that there is actually a japanese translation:

http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/lang/japanese/japanese_01-intro.html

I also saw her comic got picked up by a distributor. Good for her.

Thats awesome. I typically wouldnt read this since its a chick-manga but since I have both languages handy it'll be good practice.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby colorpen » Fri 05.12.2006 3:53 am

great material to practise.. thanks queshaw !... and sorry for not being quite on topic to your original post ;)
colorpen

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions