Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Former owner of Amityville house has died

Former owner of Amityville house has died

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Former owner of Amityville house has died

Postby hyperconjugated » Sun 05.14.2006 5:38 am

GET OUT!
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Sachi » Sun 05.14.2006 12:00 pm

True or not, if it's a good and entertaining book, I'll read it ;)
Sachi

Postby nikonikoniko » Sun 05.14.2006 1:41 pm

AJBryant wrote:
The whole thing was a rather well-documented fraud.

Indeed. Hence my question about which "actual events" were stretched.

From The Skeptical Inquirer

“We created this horror story over many bottles of wine that George Lutz was drinking,” Weber told the Associated Press. “We were creating something the public wanted to hear about.” Weber later filed a two-million-dollar lawsuit against the couple, charging them with reneging on their book deal. The Cromartys also sued the Lutzes, Anson, and the publishers, maintaining that the fraudulent haunting claims had resulted in sightseers destroying any privacy they might have had. During the trials the Lutzes admitted that virtually everything in The Amityville Horror was pure fiction (Nickell 1995; Kaplan and Kaplan 1995).

For anyone who doesn't know, William Weber was Ronald DeFeo's lawyer. Going way past the insanity plea, he hoped that if it could be established that ancient demonic forces were at work in the DeFeo house, it might help his client get off easier. The Cromartys were later owners of the house, who purchased it at a bargain totally unaware of the house's infamy from the popularity of Amityville Horror.

I don't mind people enjoying the story as fiction, but the thing that amazes me is that even after everyone involved admits it was a fraud, people still think there was something supernatural going on in that house. If they're looking for a real-life story of a haunted house, this isn't it.
Last edited by nikonikoniko on Sun 05.14.2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
学ぶことをやめたら誰でも老いぼれる、二渚ホでも八渚ホでも。学び続ける人はいつまでも若い。人生で一番大事なことは、気持ちを若く持ち続けることだ。
nikonikoniko

Previous

Return to General off topic