Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New, and I have a few questions.

New, and I have a few questions.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

New, and I have a few questions.

Postby Zoidburg » Tue 05.16.2006 10:18 pm

Alright, I'm new to Japanese, only starting it... Friday, I believe. I'm a freshmen in High School, and French is moving too slow for me learn. So, I decided, I'm going to be persuing a career in programing, and Japanese might help me get a job for some huge company over there. So, I'm starting to learn.

I started Friday with the learning of Hiragama, and a few vocab in Hiragama. Today, I explored the world of Kanji. I'm doing 30 or so every week or so, and practicing them by writing them all out, defination and everything from memory. I'm kinda confused on the whole origin of Kanji, and I would like to know more about it. I mean, the symbol for writing/launguage is crazy, and none of the lines scream any meaning.

My other question is how would I type in Japanese? Learning all this won't be worth while if I can't even type out all the symbols. I have a US Keyboard (if that helps...) and Windows XP.

Thanks for the help,
Zoid.
Zoidburg

RE: New, and I have a few questions.

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Tue 05.16.2006 10:56 pm

first of all its: "hiragana"

second the origin of kanji is china. The word kanji literaly means "chinese symbols"
"kan " meaning "china" and "ji" meaning "symbol." Japan uses the same symbols as china does with an exception of the two phonetic systems (katakana and hiragana) Japan doesn't use as great of a range of kanji as China does.

Lastly, you can be able to type in Japanese by going to your computer's language options and installing files for east asian languages. Your best bet would be to google "how to type in Japanese" and it should come up with some sites telling you how to.

(I would type in Japanese myself but I'm on another user where I can't)
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Tue 05.16.2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby crowfeather » Tue 05.16.2006 11:08 pm

The instructions for installing the Japanese font is in the FAQ section of this site.
It is located in the blue upper left frame of this page.
Barbara
crowfeather

Postby kotori » Wed 05.17.2006 12:26 am

Zoidburg wrote:
practicing them by writing them all out, defination and everything from memory. I mean, the symbol for writing/launguage is crazy, and none of the lines scream any meaning.

Are you using a book, or just sort of randomly choosing kanji to write? And how are you learning to write them? Using animated gifs for the stroke orders?

Using the stroke orders will help you to write more complicated kanji, and it will feel a lot less random. Many people don't see the point in learning the stroke order... until you've learned a lot of kanji without it.

In japanese, they can be either ideographic (convey ideas with an ideogram/pictogram), phonetic, or both!. This means sometimes they look like what they mean, and sometimes they only sound like what they mean (or both!). This often leads to confusion.

Make sure you're supplementing your kanji learning with vocab, at the very least, to help you actually make use of what you're drilling into your brain. This way, they will mean something to you, and they will be more memorable. It's very much a use-it-or-lose-it skill. :)
kotori

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips