Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 05.19.2006 10:30 am

Takeo Saeki wrote:
This is the most negative thread i've seen in a while.

what are you talking about? These are the things i noticed, not something intended to come off as negative, though there are many negative things i have noticed during my 3 months of being a member, a usual comer at that.
TrilinguisT

Postby Txkun » Fri 05.19.2006 11:35 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
Takeo Saeki wrote:

what are you talking about? These are the things i noticed, not something intended to come off as negative, though there are many negative things i have noticed during my 3 months of being a member, a usual comer at that.

I think all the things you mentioned in your first post are negative.
What about positive things? I can't belive you see only negative things... because if I did so I wouldn't be anymore interested in Japan, Japanese people/culture and losing my time reading posts. No?
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Fri 05.19.2006 12:01 pm

hey jinksys, knowledge is power and I want more.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby punkgrl326 » Fri 05.19.2006 12:28 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
4. I've always wondered why some of the members here do not come anymore . hmmm... maybe its becuase some of you guys stoned (flamed) them to death becuase they asked a innocent question. your stupid remarks and pothetic reactions ruin their reputation. agian, you know you dam straight you are.

kanadajin wrote:
TrilinguisT, I think your taking things way to seriously.

I agree with Kanadajin. I find TJP to be one of the nicer forums on the web. Ever been to Narutofan's forum? It's complete chaos there. Ask "what does dattebayo mean" and be prepared for some serious flaming. That's why I'm almost never there. Plus TJP is the only forum I have ever encountered (and I've encountered many) that doesn't commonly use the expression "noob". I really hate that word. Honestly, everyone in a forum was new at one time or another. It should be pretty easy for other members to understand how hard it is to fit in, much less get flamed for something you don't know. That's why I like TJP so much. The older members are exceptionally kind to the newer members and are willing to help them with anything they don't understand. Sure no forum is perfect, but you gotta remember people have their differences and it does get annoying when someone constantly asks questions that simply could've been answered by searching the site first. The key word is "tolerance". If everyone had more tolerance, the world (and the internet) would be a much better place. Okay, I'm done :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby kanadajin » Fri 05.19.2006 12:40 pm

you guys clearly admitted Native Japanese folks are textbooks ... "guuh .. they are fluent, so like.. they would know so much more than a learner or somebody else who knows the answer" > from my view, those who are expirienced have no chance at telling you the same thing. do you ever stop to think that they speak the language, not teach

Do i ever think to stop they speak the language.. not to teach, Yea I do.. Most Japanese people I talk to LIKE helping me, They TELL me to ask them questions.

Japanese is limited to japan, if you're going to learn it, mightas well get a feel for the culture and have some background knowledge at hand before you go, there's clearly no point in studying a foreign language if it isnt acessible to you other than manga and anime and all that crap. telling someone knew to the culture everything that eveything is all good is not good (trust me, its annoying) and some ppl will smarten up and start to wonder, "japan must be like heaven?" .

No, EVERYONE should know there is bad things about Japan. Like I've said people DO post bad things about it.

I agree with Kanadajin. I find TJP to be one of the nicer forums on the web. Ever been to Narutofan's forum? It's complete chaos there. Ask "what does dattebayo mean" and be prepared for some serious flaming. That's why I'm almost never there. Plus TJP is the only forum I have ever encountered (and I've encountered many) that doesn't commonly use the expression "noob". I really hate that word. Honestly, everyone in a forum was new at one time or another.

Thank you.
kanadajin

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 05.19.2006 12:45 pm

Txkun wrote:
TrilinguisT wrote:
Takeo Saeki wrote:

I think all the things you mentioned in your first post are negative.
What about positive things? I can't belive you see only negative things... because if I did so I wouldn't be anymore interested in Japan, Japanese people/culture and losing my time reading posts. No?

Oh please! all i want is the truth -- its already unfortunate enough that anime, and most media that comes out of japan is all fluxuated into making us think, "Japan is sooo BOMB" ... do we ever hear the truth or anything that's displeasing ? NO, we never --- this reminds me why we (americans) learn the stupid history that's full of lies up until we reach college. :@
TrilinguisT

Postby Mariya » Fri 05.19.2006 1:06 pm

TrilinguisT -- I think that although I don't fullheartedly agree with you, I can see where you are coming from. Before I post my opinion, can I ask you to post here the related threads that made you feel this way please? Arigatou.

EDIT: I also just realised myself...you've been here 3 months. Well I'm not trying to back it up, but the past few months have been quite noisy in terms of arguing members and so on. It was much more peaceful before I have to say.
Last edited by Mariya on Fri 05.19.2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariya

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 05.19.2006 1:27 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:there's clearly no point in studying a foreign language if it isnt acessible to you other than manga and anime and all that crap.

Speaking of negativity you have just insulted the majority of this forum with that comment. Manga and Anime are part of the culture and to broadly label them as crap is ignorant to say the least.

Seriously, what's your problem with some people being infatuated with Japanese culture? They are enjoying themselves and doing no harm to anyone so I don't see the big deal. If they go to Japan knowing only about Anime and Manga that's another story. But this doesn't apply to most people here. If you want more serious discussions about the everyday life and problems of Japan there are plenty of places for it. The first one that comes to mind is Big Daikon. Now take a chill pill or else find a different forum.
Schattenjedi

Postby kanadajin » Fri 05.19.2006 1:30 pm

I strongly agree with you Schattenjedi
kanadajin

Postby Mariya » Fri 05.19.2006 1:32 pm

People, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Okay, TrillinguisT could have been more polite. But ultimately, he/she is a member here and deserves freedom of speech. If every member here were to remember to be polite, there would at least be no hostility around. This is exactly what causes problems between memebers here.

It's not rocket science. :@
Last edited by Mariya on Fri 05.19.2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariya

Postby kanadajin » Fri 05.19.2006 2:03 pm

I never said TrilinguisT wasn't aloud to share his opinion, he said Theres no point in learning the language for only anime and manga, schattenjedi stated that anime and manga is a part of Japanese culture And if people want to learn Japanese to be able to read anime and manga theres no harm done.

Whats so wrong with that?
kanadajin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.19.2006 2:12 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
this reminds me why we (americans) learn the stupid history that's full of lies up until we reach college. :@

wtf? (i just decided to keep this.. my rant was nearly 2000 words.. needless to say, that is the dumbest most uneducated remark i think i have ever read.)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Tesu » Fri 05.19.2006 2:33 pm

This is quite an interesting topic, and I actually kinda see where the OP is coming from.

As I'm planning to move over there fairly soon I frequent a few different boards to try and get a feel for what to expect when I arrive. Most notably this one, Big Daikon and crisscross.

This forum is *overwhelmingly* more positive than either of those (especially Big Daikon) and thats not always necessarily a good thing. It doesn't give the reader a real feel for what actual life over there would be like, and I imagine some people here may be dissappointed with life over there (if they ever make it).

That's not a critique of this forum, Clay and the team do a marvellous job. I think the key differences between a forum like this one and the one at bigdaikon is:

A) The age gap, most posters are younger here and don't have to worry about the kind of problems older people could have over there.
B) Most posters here don't actually live in Japan, whereas on BigDaikon nearly all of them do.

Again thats not a problem and its not the fault of this forum, but I think its true. This forum is more geared towards actual language learning anyhow, and is probably not such a good medium for learning what it is really like to live there.

Although BD is *very* negative a lot of the time, its important to be aware of the problems they have so to know what to expect. Many posters here are young anime/manga fans and would experience immense culture shock if they ever make it out there.

For the OP, if you want negativity go over and read BD. You have to take both forums with a pinch of salt, but for a person seriously considering moving to Japan they should be aware of all issues before leaving.
Last edited by Tesu on Fri 05.19.2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesu

Postby kanadajin » Fri 05.19.2006 2:46 pm

tesu, When people are just talking about Japan on this forum Yes they do usually only talk about the good things, But i've seen many threads where someone has asked what it's like to live/visit a certain place because they are going there. And they do get all the pros and cons.
kanadajin

Postby Justin » Fri 05.19.2006 2:49 pm

Don’t get me wrong, everyone is of course entitled to his or her own opinion on the forum here. The thing is, when you exercise that right, it’s nice to see a well thought out, intelligent post, in a nice neutral tone. You start out a post with who knows what kind of purpose, ranting about various aspects of the forum, making such great comments as…

“your stupid remarks and pathetic reactions ruin their reputation. again, you know you dam straight you are.”

When you act like that, your negative/angry tone instantly puts everyone on the defense, why you’d want to do so, I’ve got no clue, unless you were just looking to stir up some commotion on here in the first place.

Personally, I really don’t see a problem at all with the forum here, better than most places if you ask me. I haven’t been posting all that much recently, not because I got flamed or anything like that, but because I’ve just been way too busy to do so. Also, seeing as how this is a forum dedicated to learning Japanese, of course those with more proficiency with the language will be more respected, what’s wrong with that?

If everyone would just hold off on the negativity/anger when they go to make a post, I’m betting you’d see a large drop in hostile replies, as really, who needs all this negativity/anger when each and everyone of us is here to learn Japanese.
Last edited by Justin on Fri 05.19.2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic