Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: I've only been a member for 3 months, but ....

Postby Txkun » Fri 05.19.2006 3:59 pm

Justin, I agree 110%
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby kanadajin » Fri 05.19.2006 4:08 pm

me too
kanadajin

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 05.20.2006 1:46 am

Niko - I posted this in regaurds to my unrealistic feeling of the japanese Culture/Country, something of which i am trying to gear myself away from, and at the same time try to understand why.. being told something is all too well doesnt do me any good, cuase it gets to a certain point when the desireable traits become just weird and annoying.

if its about japan or japanese culture, i just want to hear something true to its full content, whether it be something displeasing or endearing; not something that's watered down to make it sound like its justified, like most everything else i hear.

and dont get me wrong, but i find the japanese culture very intriguing (why else am i making an effort at learning it?) but seriously, Japanese Nationalists has had thier fare share along with anime/manga otakus to make me feel and think as i was posting the first message. the feeling of unrealism i.e. there's goods and bads to every culture, but hearing everything good, and tone-down justified bads can really have negitive affects towards thinking.
TrilinguisT

Postby kotori » Sat 05.20.2006 2:07 am

It is possible to focus on the good one can find in any issue/culture/what-have-you and still be grounded enough in reality to know it's not always going to be cake and candy. In the little while I have been here, I haven't seen anyone get flamed for speaking about the negative aspects of Japanese culture, and I have slowly over time read a lot of the old posts.

Motivation is a very important part of learning something difficult like a language, particularly so one so alien (as in, non-roman based) as Japanese (or Chinese, or Korean, etc). Motivation is hard to keep up if you go seeking the "dirty side".

So perhaps one who learns Japanese may never have a chance to use it, and may lose the language skills entirely. I may be one of those people. Who knows? However, I can say that my life is richer for having explored Japanese culture. Will it matter then that I have not known or experienced the bad parts, having only been able to touch on it from "outside"?

I don't think so. I can leave what little I had as a legacy to my children, who will have the opportunity to choose to explore it further, and at the very least, expand their overall world view from a young age. Is this not a positive progression, even though I may have individually accomplished next to nothing?
kotori

Postby kanadajin » Sat 05.20.2006 1:59 pm

Basically everything I've been saying.. But Smater ;)
kanadajin

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 05.20.2006 2:27 pm

kanadajin >

i am done trying to explaing to you. if you want to be blind, be blinde .
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Sat 05.20.2006 9:17 pm

There are positive people and there are negative people. Negative people focus on bad things and complain a lot. Positive people focus on good things and are happy a lot. Most people don't like negative people. People do like positive people. That's why so many people come here to read all the positive posts.

When people read negative things, they feel bad. People don't like feeling bad.

If you really want to hear bad stuff, ask. I'm sure many of us have experienced bad things about Japan, but were too positive to let them bother us and warrant a rant on the forum (which no one would want to read anyway).

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say "everyone is being too positive. We need to get some negativity and bad feelings back in here!". You have a very interesting complaint.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby clay » Sat 05.20.2006 10:46 pm

I'll basically echo nikoniko1975's words of wisdom, but I think it boils down to two things:

1) this site primarily deals with Japanese language - not culture or history. That being said, we talk a lot about negatives - 〜ません、〜ない、〜ず etc :D

2) It is my experience that those who make no attempt to learn the language fall into culture shock much more often than language learners.

Living in Japan I had many gaijin acquaintances who spent most of their free time with other English speakers. They made little or no attempt to make Japanese friends or learn the language. It seemed whenever they got together they started complaining about Japan this, Japan that.

If you have a desire to live in Japan, do yourself a favor and learn the language as much as possible before going. And when you are there, make Japanese friends. Also don't overly compare Japan to your home country. Culture shock starts with, "Banks in America don't close at 3!" and grows from there. :o

Why dwell on the negativity? It will only kill your motivation to study and if you are in Japan, it could lead to culture shock.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby hlover100 » Sat 05.20.2006 11:21 pm

Honestly your philosify doesn't seem to have much fact to back it up, so really it sounds like you're just jumping to conclusions. Now i'm not saying everything you said was wrong, but rather how it seems.
1. THe lack of japan's negitivity seems very very strange. about 95% of the posts here i see is all positive .. japan must be a paradise or something no? not only is that strange, but most of you praise anything/everything japanese. it isnt suprising though, the media has much power to make you think the way they want you to think

This, for example, I can see your point, but when you said 'the media has much power to make you think the way thay want you to think' seems very odd. When I turn on the news I don't here them saying Japan is a wonderful country with little or no problems of their own. I've heard of a protest or something like that. and the mad cow think (that doesn't really fit but oh well.)

One thing people have to keep in mind is the culture difference and some people misinterprit that , thus thinking it's something different.
hlover100

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 05.20.2006 11:29 pm

keatonatron :

if its about japan or japanese culture, i just want to hear something true to its full content, whether it be something displeasing or endearing; not something that's watered down to make it sound like its justified, like most everything else i hear.

Clay:

and dont get me wrong, but i find the japanese culture very intriguing (why else am i making an effort at learning it?) but seriously, Japanese Nationalists (KouKou kara Sensei) has had thier fare share along with anime/manga otakus to make me feel and think as i was posting the first message. the feeling of unrealism i.e. there's goods and bads to every culture, but hearing everything good, and tone-down justified bads can really have negitive affects towards thinking.
TrilinguisT

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 05.20.2006 11:34 pm

hlover100:

The media i see these types of things isnt from news, i dont even watch news, especially FOX news, but anyways:

I posted how i feel, i did not jump to conclusions.
TrilinguisT

Postby kanadajin » Sat 05.20.2006 11:40 pm

You may not have, but it sure seems like it. I've been looking around nowhere have I found any thread that talks about Japan being a paradise It gets annoying. Someone stated that most people who talk about Japan here and only talk about the good things havent been to japan.

BTW, what was the point of creating this thread? It's not like you were going to change everything or anything people say.. Out of all the people on the thread your the only one who has "noticed.." Seems kinda odd to me.
Last edited by kanadajin on Sat 05.20.2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.20.2006 11:48 pm

Actually, I find this thread pretty strange. Would you go onto a football forum and complain if there weren't enough people complaining about football?

Really, there is a point where I'd have to ask, "If you hate Japan so much, why come here?"

Really! People with unrealistic expectations do need to be corrected. But people shouldn't complain because the forums aren't negative enough.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 05.20.2006 11:54 pm

Infidel wrote:
Actually, I find this thread pretty strange. Would you go onto a football forum and complain if there weren't enough people complaining about football?

Really, there is a point where I'd have to ask, "If you hate Japan so much, why come here?"

Really! People with unrealistic expectations do need to be corrected. But people shouldn't complain because the forums aren't negative enough.

I am officially explaining myself to a wall. if matters such as this isnt comprehendable, why even bother to tell the world you cant even understand?
Last edited by TrilinguisT on Wed 05.31.2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrilinguisT

Postby kotori » Sun 05.21.2006 12:14 am

OK, well, let's approach this from a different angle.

You've unleashed a lot of criticism. Now, constructive criticism is a good thing. But unsupported criticism is not.

You've made claims that aren't backed up. You fail to produce examples, and most important of all, you fail to offer up any idea of what exactly you want.

Come up with something more substantial so that you can be helped. If you don't want anything out of this thread, then it's nothing but a flaming rant against TJP and is subject to the forum rules. Which is it?

EDIT: for spelling
Last edited by kotori on Sun 05.21.2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kotori

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic