fbpx

6 Comments

October 31, 2007

Our Secret Language… Foiled

Yesterday I called an airline to check on reserving airplane tickets for my parent’s-in-law to come to visit us here in the US. Yumi was on Skype talking to her mother and I was on the phone talking with a nice lady from the Airlines.
–An Interlude–
Normally we have a Secret Language that allows us to safely say things we just can’t say in English. For example while walking through an Antique store, we can say – in our Secret Language – “These prices are ridiculous!” Or leaving a public bathroom I can safely remark, “That guy didn’t wash his hands.” Of course this Secret Language is Japanese.
–End Interlude–
As the nice airline lady was explaining our options, I was speaking in our Secret Language to Yumi who was relying the message also in the Secret Language to her mother through Skype. After about ten minutes of this, I heard on the phone the lady saying, “No, no that’s not right. Your wife said it will leave at 9 AM, it is 1 PM!” In shock I asked, 「日本語ができますか?」 She said, “yes” but not in the Secret Language.
All throughout the remainder of the call, my mind raced at all the things I said to Yumi in the Secret Language before the secure line was known to be compromised. Did I say anything incriminating or insulting? I am not sure.
It just goes to show, you have to be careful of what you say – even with a Secret Language.

Sharing is caring!

• One trick I learned is to switch to fake Shakespearean English. But you have to be careful. A Japanese friend of mine teaches Shakespeare at a university in Hiroshima. 🙂

• When I first went to Japan in 1986 I thought that English was a “secret language” It certainly was when I wanted to get directions etc. I was on the underground late one night surrounded by Japanese people. A young woman standing near the doors was draped over her boyfriend and getting very amorous. I nudged my husband and said “mmm, someone’s going to get lucky tonight.”The jJapanese guy standing next to us burst out laughing, and than told his mates what I had said. i learnt my lesson

• Yes, we have to be especially careful when we go to Japan. Here in Florida, the chance someone would understand is very low, but in Japan… it is easy to forget we are not in Florida.

• I guess I like to think that Japanese is a secret language too since I am lucky enough to have 2 friends here who know the language and there is not much of a Japanese community here. So I guess sometimes it feels special to use this “special language” with my friends that no one understands. Then again as has been proved, you never know who is listening that might actually understand!

• It’s great when you know no one can understand you. Of course it can be a little rude if you flaunt it so we try to be quiet about it. I guess I could try to convince my wife to learn ancient Egyptian with me. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about any one knowing what we are saying.

• {"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>