Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - LearnKana tool

LearnKana tool

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

LearnKana tool

Postby SCMurphy » Thu 04.14.2005 1:56 pm

Clay I wanted to say thank you for the great web resource. I have been working my way through the topics and have enjoyed admitting my humble inability to pick up Japanese very quickly. But, my one triumph to date has been my learning of the Hiragana and Katakana. All thanks to that download you have available. That little tool has been just about the perfect thing for me. I liked it so much I had do make a donation to help you keep the site going.

I knew it had worked when I picked up an item at a store that had some Kana on the back. While I was sounding out the words my 10 year old daughter yells at me "Stop it Dad! You're freaking me out!" She's not used to hearing something close to Japanese coming from my mouth I guess. :D

Just wanted to let you and everyone else know that the LearnKana tool is top notch in my book.
SCMurphy

RE: LearnKana tool

Postby redfoxer » Thu 04.14.2005 4:57 pm

you can get LearnKana from here? i had no idea where i got mine from but ive had it and it helps wonders! i have no idea where i got it from tho.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Daisuke » Thu 04.14.2005 5:06 pm

Yes, you can download here.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby clay » Thu 04.14.2005 6:09 pm

Ruben (Daisuke) donated the program so he is the best one to thank :)

I am amazed it has been downloaded 4190 times. B)
clay
Site Admin

Postby Daisuke » Thu 04.14.2005 6:41 pm

Yeah, i am amazed too, but it's a very effective program for learning kana fast. ;) I understand why it is popular.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Xmax » Fri 04.15.2005 8:54 am

Daisuke wrote:
Yeah, i am amazed too, but it's a very effective program for learning kana fast. ;) I understand why it is popular.

Daisuke-san, so *you* are the maker of such a neat application!!!
Happy to meet you, and since in your "about" pop-up you write: "I'm curious to know where this soft will go, drop me a line", here's a line for you. :D

I live in Italy and just started to learn japanese. Your app. is very useful to me because my wife would lock me out of the door if I had to spread kana cards to flip every now and then all over our bedroom. ;)

I'm currently near the end of learning hiragana (just the "RA/WA" series missing, the other series are well stick into my memory... for now at least).

The "method" I'm using is:

1. Use Clay's Hiragana Lessons for a series (5 kana), read them, write them, read and write the example words (very useful!), then take the final online quiz for the 5 kana learned in current lesson.

2. Open Daisuke's application and select all the kana series learned so far (current one + previous ones), then take the quiz ad libitum (at least 100 to 200 "tosses" if short on time).

Repeat points 1. and 2. for every series (I'm going at the pace of one series every 1 or 2 days).

When I'll be over with hiragana, I will continue using Daisuke's application once a day to keep it fresh while starting with the rest(grammar, vocabulary and kanji).

I will find useful Daisuke's app. again when I'll learn katakana. I'm planning to this a bit later on, as a parallel activity while doing the rest. I prefer to have solid hiragana before learning katakana.

That's it. Again, compliments for this app!!!
Kind Regards,
Xmax
Xmax

Postby Daisuke » Fri 04.15.2005 11:03 am

Xmax wrote:
Daisuke wrote:

Daisuke-san, so *you* are the maker of such a neat application!!!
Happy to meet you, and since in your "about" pop-up you write: "I'm curious to know where this soft will go, drop me a line", here's a line for you. :D

I live in Italy and just started to learn japanese. Your app. is very useful to me because my wife would lock me out of the door if I had to spread kana cards to flip every now and then all over our bedroom. ;)

I'm currently near the end of learning hiragana (just the "RA/WA" series missing, the other series are well stick into my memory... for now at least).

The "method" I'm using is:

1. Use Clay's Hiragana Lessons for a series (5 kana), read them, write them, read and write the example words (very useful!), then take the final online quiz for the 5 kana learned in current lesson.

2. Open Daisuke's application and select all the kana series learned so far (current one + previous ones), then take the quiz ad libitum (at least 100 to 200 "tosses" if short on time).

Repeat points 1. and 2. for every series (I'm going at the pace of one series every 1 or 2 days).

When I'll be over with hiragana, I will continue using Daisuke's application once a day to keep it fresh while starting with the rest(grammar, vocabulary and kanji).

I will find useful Daisuke's app. again when I'll learn katakana. I'm planning to this a bit later on, as a parallel activity while doing the rest. I prefer to have solid hiragana before learning katakana.

I must admit, i didn't make this program. I gave a copy of it to Clay, because i think it would be a great program to add to his site. The site where i got this program, had a note to it. It was something like:"Since the author in this program is unknown, it wont be updated. If there are any bugs, live with it."

Which means, i am afraid i don't have his email adress, so you could write to him. Anyways, i still think your study method is great.
Last edited by Daisuke on Fri 04.15.2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Xmax » Fri 04.15.2005 12:30 pm

Daisuke wrote:
I must admit, i didn't make this program. I gave a copy of it to Clay, because i think it would be a great program to add to his site.

O_O;;; ROTFL!!!...

[goes to delete Daisuke's name from personal "best programmers in the world" book :P]

(I'm just re-reading Clay's words... I see he actually said you "donated" the app... well I guess it doesn't mean you made it - even though it may sound so... ;) )

Well... great app anyway, and kudos to you (at the very least) for discovering it and spreading it in the world. :D
Kind Regards,
Xmax
Xmax

Postby redfoxer » Fri 04.15.2005 12:43 pm

lol that programs kinda like the good version of the video tape in ring. no one knows where it comes from but it keeps spreading.... Well thanks for donating it Daisuke. im not sure if the shi with the ten ten is jiz tho... or the tsu with the ten ten is zud. :S can someone verify? cos i thought it was ji and zu respectively. i keep getting thrown off when i practice and it really ruins my 100% score :cry: ^^
redfoxer

Postby Daisuke » Fri 04.15.2005 1:56 pm

Hmm... My copy of the program does not have those bugs.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby redfoxer » Fri 04.15.2005 1:59 pm

lol, i did get mine a while ago before i realised where i got it from. :( maybe i got it from some other site before it got donated?
redfoxer

Postby Daisuke » Fri 04.15.2005 2:03 pm

Yeah, it may be. If it have those dumb bugs, i think you should download a new one.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby SCMurphy » Fri 04.15.2005 8:22 pm

Xmax wrote:

Dude,

Once you learn the Hiragana you will learn the Katakana four times faster. You will already make the mental conections between the K/G, S/Z etc. All you will have to pick up that's different is the various 'creative' uses of combination Katakana to make up all the foreign sounds that aren't in Japanese. I started with the Katakana because so much of what I'm interested in has the Latin scientific names attached to it.

Keep up with the system you worked out and you'll find yourself switching between the two very easily.

Oh, I forgot, Thanks so much Daisuke for bringing that program to Clay's attention. It has really made one part of learning Japanese much easier for me.
Last edited by SCMurphy on Fri 04.15.2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCMurphy

Postby Xmax » Sat 04.16.2005 4:42 pm

SCMurphy wrote:
Once you learn the Hiragana you will learn the Katakana four times faster.

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Probably I'm too afraid to mess up with the two Kana sets and start confusing one for the other (I know they look quite different, though).

Another reason is that... well, I'm quite frustated by the fact of being alrady able to pronounce (part of) what I read but still not able to understand the meaning... :) that's why I want to start with grammar/Kanji as soon as possible, and work out the Katakana meanwhile.

Anyway, the fact that on-readings for Kanji are written in Katakana is quite a boost for me... (it's kinda strange I know, but that urges me to learning Katakana more than being able to spell Engrish words and Companies' names)
Kind Regards,
Xmax
Xmax

Postby redfoxer » Sat 04.16.2005 5:39 pm

distinguishing between hirigana and katakana is easily done as hirigana is more curvasive and katakana more blocky. The only thing i found hard to learn is that some katakana characters are tricky to memorise. Such a few are RA, looks like a hirigana U, shi, so, n and tsu all look pretty similar, the wa and U may look similar and ma and mu can be confusing. The only advice for these would be that the mu kinda looks like a hirigana MU as does the MO, and think of the wa as wahhhhh the top line bit broke of my katakana U and RE as the same as RU but missing the slash before it. lol wierd but effective. other points in hirigana is the NU and RU and be seperated from ME and RO respectively is that the 'ooo' kana's have a looping tail. :) hope i havent confused people.
Last edited by redfoxer on Sat 04.16.2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redfoxer

Next

Return to Problems