Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Cost of Living?

Cost of Living?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Cost of Living?

Postby Alpha9 » Fri 04.15.2005 12:53 am

Konnichiwa!

How much would it be to either rent an apartment or own a house anywhere in Japan? Like, which is cheaper and where would be the cheapest place for it?

No reason why I am asking, just wanted to know since I would like to live there some day....
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

RE: Cost of Living?

Postby ohemgee » Fri 04.15.2005 1:16 am

I'm no expert, I'm only repeating what I've researched and read about, but generally, the bigger the city, the more expensive it gets, and this is true in any country. However, due to Japan's size and lack of land, Japan's prices are a bit higher than other countries. Rent is notoriously expensive in the bigger cities like Tokyo and Kyoto, but a smaller suburb yields lower prices. Also keep in mind that when renting in Japan, expect to pay a lot of money up front (up to 3 months rent worth of money; called Key Money), which goes straight to the landlord, in addition to reservation fees, utilities, and deposits.
ohemgee

Postby Spaztick » Fri 04.15.2005 12:22 pm

don't forget the "tip" of about 200 bucks to the landlord :D

Keep in mind that if you plan to move in Japan, move to the country or at least outside the city, unless you're job can't afford to keep out outside the city limits.

It will probably cost you about 5-6k up front to move in, so when you go, go prepared.

Be sure you earn money. And I mean EARN it. The upkeep of living is expensive, but the money you make should match, if you get a good job. Usually you can, as people don't usually higher foreigners unless they have a special skill or they have a master's degree, or if you teach English.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Mukade » Fri 04.15.2005 8:42 pm

Spaztick wrote:
It will probably cost you about 5-6k up front to move in, so when you go, go prepared.

Yes, with the "key money" (landlord's tip), deposit, security, first month's rent, etc., you usually need to have about 500,000 yen ($5000US) up-front (although I've paid as little as 400,000 yen).

But like everyone has said, if you are living outside the city, rent can be more reasonable. I'm currently paying 80,000 yen ($800US) a month for a two-story, two-bedroom house with yard (rare in Japan) and car port.

My last apartment was only 50,000 yen ($500US) a month, but was tiny - about the size of a single room in your average, middle-class American home.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby toryn » Sun 04.17.2005 9:09 am

Hmmm...

So, is it possible to study in Japan and rent? I'm planning to study in Japan in a few year's time for 2 semesters as part of a uni course. The uni pays for the flights to and from the city you're staying in, and you only pay fees to your uni back home, but you have to pay living expenses.

So, if I'm at uni, unable to get a full-time job, will a part-time job cut it, or am I going to have to save up majorly to keep up rent (on top of key money) before I go?
toryn

RE: About cost of living

Postby Kramersize » Sat 05.14.2005 5:04 am

Im thinking about buying some property in the Hokkaido region because I love nature. And I was wondering what the cost of food and taxes are like. And other living expenses.
May You Live Long and Prosper
Kramersize

Postby dballred » Sun 06.26.2005 1:20 am

Kramersize wrote:
Im thinking about buying some property in the Hokkaido region because I love nature. And I was wondering what the cost of food and taxes are like. And other living expenses.

Well, the cost of land in Sapporo City is between $1,000 and $5,000 per tsubo (a square about 6 feet on a side). --relatively cheap compared to the Tokyo area. The cost of living there, however, is just about as high as anywhere else in Japan. Only Okinawa seems a little cheaper.

If you want to live way out in the country where the land is considerably cheaper, you need to figure out how to get into Japan--as you'll need some form of job or proof of support to live there. As a foreigner, you'll have a difficult time getting a loan, so bring lots of cash.

There's another nasty secret about real estate in Japan: a house is like a car. The value of the structure is the highest when it is new--and goes downhill from there surprisingly fast. If your land doesn't significantly appreciate in value, you can take a long-term loss in any real estate purchase involving a structure.
dballred

Postby SO_Rennish » Sat 07.16.2005 8:49 pm

Kramersize wrote:

Most things in Japan are going to be expensive in everyday life it you are a foreigner. After you get a job there, it will seem significantly cheaper.
You owe me an IOU
SO_Rennish

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan