Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - meal time...

meal time...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

meal time...

Postby jarad » Thu 04.14.2005 4:07 pm

I guess I'll kick this section of the forum off. A friend of mine told me that he thinks at most meals soft drinks are not served, but water. Was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience could clarify this as true or false. I DESPISE water.
jarad

RE: meal time...

Postby ShinDig » Thu 04.14.2005 4:12 pm

i have no idea...but just wanted to say...I love water!!! :D:D:D
ShinDig

Postby redfoxer » Thu 04.14.2005 4:53 pm

water is good for hangovers ^^ love water. gud for everything. waterrrrrrr....ahhhh.....*starts to wonder about a would without water....*
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 04.14.2005 11:13 pm

If you go to any restaurant, they always give you water for free, just like in the states. They also give you a bowl of miso soup most of the time for free, also. Of course you can order soda and most places, but I don't know about eating at someone's house. We always ate out since going to someone's place with a big group is always such a big production. Japanese sodas taste a little different to me. Coke tasted a little different and it was virtually impossible to find a regular Pepsi. Most Pepsi was that Pepsi Twist stuff. Of course you can get all kinds of teas and beers. I'm not a big fan of water, either, but I got used to drinking a little cup of water since ordering a soda is usually expensive and no-refills! If you go to a restaurant like Saizeria, you can order the drink set and get refills, but if I remember correctly, that was like 2.50. I actually know a couple places that charged almost 5 bucks for a coke with no refills. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat the water. Drink it if you're thirsty, but there are drink machines and Conbini's everywhere.
Shibakoen

Postby Spaztick » Fri 04.15.2005 12:26 pm

Water's good for you! That and you have the satisfying feeling knowing that you're staying healthier when you see crystal clear urine in the toilet. :P

But really, it can get humid in Japan during the summer, and you don't want to get dehydrated on cokes and stuff.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby redfoxer » Fri 04.15.2005 12:47 pm

jus wanted to let everyone know a bit of useless info, but coke and any soda carbonated drink (7up/sprite, fanta) taste different to each other country wise. Eg coke from england taste different to ones in japan, india, so on (prolly cos of the manufacturing process and recipes variate slightly). If you dont like sweet drinks dont order fizzy drinks from vietnam, youll get very sugary water with whatever flavour the drink was *supposed* to be :)
redfoxer

Postby Vengeance » Fri 04.15.2005 1:06 pm

Haha, do you know what's hilarious? I live in England and we JUST got pepsi twist...

Haven't tried it but I bet it sucks.
Vengeance

Postby jarad » Fri 04.15.2005 3:31 pm

my friend in Japan said in the two months' he's been there, he has yet to see a single Mt. Dew, and only a few Dr. Peppers.
jarad

Postby redfoxer » Fri 04.15.2005 4:32 pm

mountian dew....now theres a drink i havent had since i was haichi sai....:)
Last edited by redfoxer on Fri 04.15.2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redfoxer

Postby nailsoft » Fri 04.15.2005 7:39 pm

When my friend and I go to a Japanese restaurant, he never orders soda. Always water. And he's a Jap.
nailsoft

Postby Mukade » Fri 04.15.2005 8:53 pm

The Japanese just don't drink soda as much as we do in the West. The biggest-selling drink (by far) here is tea (green tea, oolong tea, English tea, etc.). Probably right after that is beer.

During mealtimes, however, there just doesn't seem to be a culture of always having a drink with your meal. I'm constantly watching the Japanese eat entire meals without drinking anything - even water.

Soda here tends to be associated with Western fast-food restaurants, and that's where it's usually consumed.

As for the differing flavors of coke in different countries - I think this is mostly due to the fact that palates differ in different countries. Every Japanese person that I've spoken to who has tried Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper has made a pukey face and said "YUCK! How can you Americans drink that garbage?!"

In a similar vein, think about sushi in the West - unlike Japan, there are lots of creative sushi rolls (Caterpillar Roll, Philadelphia Roll, etc), sushi with vegetables, sushi with cooked fish, sushi with the kelp wrapped up on the inside of the roll, etc., etc. Since the Western palate is different from the Japanese palate, sushi has been modified to suit that sense of taste.

Likewise, Coke has been changed to suit the Japanese palate.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Diggity » Fri 04.15.2005 9:50 pm

I know that in America you can get Coke imported from Mexico. With the growing Mexican population certain grocery stores in Kansas City have it. It is MUCH more sweet than what we drink. It still is coke... but is like if I added a spoonful of sugar to it!
Diggity

Postby redfoxer » Sat 04.16.2005 5:51 pm

'importing' 'coke' from mexico eh...heh heh, isnt that illegal ;) just kidding with ya. Yea, big point is most oriental cultures (speaking from self experience) that they dont usually drink at meal times but after. Which is why you have miso soup during rice meals and those spoons during ramen and noodle soups.
redfoxer

Postby ohemgee » Sat 04.16.2005 8:39 pm

Another thing I've read is that Japanese steaks are small. By small, I mean they are not so thick. In America, they'd be about an inch or so think, but Japanese steaks are thin as hell. Same thing with steaks from the Philippines, too. When I ordered one while I was over there for vacation, I almost felt my appetite deflating. At least it tasted good.
ohemgee

Postby Kei » Sat 04.16.2005 11:55 pm

I think in general western culture. Well actually american, all of america, north and south have a thing for food that other places don't have. We like lots of it. Just the servings in restaurants are huge compared to other countries. IMO
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan