Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ignore

Ignore

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Ignore

Postby Infidel » Fri 05.26.2006 2:07 am

Ignore in chat is poorly implimented.

First, it TELLS the person you are ignoring them in an annoying pop-up window every time you log in/out or move from one room to another. It's really not even the person's business that I'm ignoring him/her. I certianly don't want to pester someone with an "your being ignored by Infidel" message. I just want to ignore them and let it go. This method is like a 2nd grader tellings someone, "Were ignoring you" "Lalala, we're not listening!"

Second. The ignored person can ignore you back. Which normally isn't a problem, except these annoying pop-up messages keep popping up and the ignored person spouts off even more insults and annoy me further. By turning ignore on and off, or switching rooms a lot and putting a stupid ignore message in each time.

Why doesn't /ignore just ignore someone. Why does it have this pop-up message. And how can we turn it off so I don't have to listen as the ignored person circumvents the whole point of ignoring them! I don't want to annoy the person I'm ignoring back. I just want to ignore them. Not pester them with ignore notifications and insipre them to some sort of vigilante crusade to annoy me further.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 05.26.2006 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: Ignore

Postby jinksys » Fri 05.26.2006 2:53 am

Infidel wrote:
Ignore in chat is poorly implimented.

First, it TELLS the person you are ignoring them in an annoying pop-up window every time you log in/out or move from one room to another. It's really not even the person's business that I'm ignoring him/her. I certianly don't want to pester someone with an "your being ignored by Infidel" message. I just want to ignore them and let it go. This method is like a 2nd grader tellings someone, "Were ignoring you" "Lalala, we're not listening!"

Second. The ignored person can ignore you back. Which normally isn't a problem, except these annoying pop-up messages keep popping up and the ignored person spouts off even more insults and annoy me further. By turning ignore on and off, or switching rooms a lot and putting a stupid ignore message in each time.

Why doesn't /ignore just ignore someone. Why does it have this pop-up message. And how can we turn it off so I don't have to listen as the ignored person circumvents the whole point of ignoring them! I don't want to annoy the person I'm ignoring back. I just want to ignore them. Not pester them with ignore notifications and insipre them to some sort of vigilante crusade to annoy me further.

You might want to head to http://www.tufat.com/index.php and tell the author if you think of a problem.

/ignore infidel Boo
/unignore infidel YAH!
/ignore infidel Boo
/unignore infidel YAH!
/ignore infidel Boo
/unignore infidel YAH!
/ignore infidel Boo
/unignore infidel YAH!
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 05.26.2006 2:53 am

if there is some sort of consensus from the powers that be... i can probably arrange for there to be no "you are being (Un)Ignored." messages to the (Un)Ignored user.

the notification message (mis)feature does seem to be sorta pointless and easy to abuse in obnoxious and annoying ways.
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.27.2006 1:03 am

unfortunately, that would only solve half the problem. It wouldn't stop the person I'm Ignoring from getting an Ignored message every time I switch rooms or log in.

I think it is a major problem. I ignore someone to prevent myself any kind of strife, so I don't want to jab the person I'm ignoring. Ignoring goes both ways, Not only do I not listen, but I don't talk either. And it makes me feel really rude to jab someone like that. Take away the pop-up messages completely please.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 05.27.2006 1:46 am

Infidel wrote:
It wouldn't stop the person I'm Ignoring from getting an Ignored message every time I switch rooms or log in.

no, that's exactly what it would do... stop 'the notification messages' to the (Un)Ignored user.

the (Un)Ignored user is the person you are (Un)Ignoring. you (the one doing the (Un)Ignoring) are the (Un)Ignorer.

here, (Un)Ignore is shorthand for "UnIgnore or Ignore". (i guess it's a bit too geekish an expression for general use)

i don't use the chat much, just looking at the code and it looks like this happens:

Case: you Ignore someone
the Ignoring user gets a message something like: "you are now ignoring the Ignored user."
the Ignored user gets a message something like: "you are now being ignored by the Ignoring user."

Case: you UnIgnore someone
the UnIgnoring user gets a message ...: "you are no longer ignoring the UnIgnored user."
the UnIgnored user gets a message ...: "you are no longer being ignored by the UnIgnoring user."

the messages to the (Un)Ignored user are the ones that should go away.

it's just less typing to say:
no "you are being (Un)Ignored." messages to the (Un)Ignored user.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Sat 05.27.2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.27.2006 2:38 am

darn parentheses. Ok, I get it now. Sweet. :)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Return to Problems