Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

Postby keatonatron » Thu 02.23.2006 3:58 am

If I had to choose only one piece of advice to give, it would be:

PRACTICE TESTS.

Every year around this time they sell the test from the previous year. Trying out a real test is the ONLY way to truly prepare for what the test is like, and it's the best way to get all your questions answered as to what you need to know. I think the biggest help to my success was the practice tests... I took all the tests from 1997 through 2004, and by the end I was so comfortable with the layout of the tests I was able to just jump in and go when it was time for the real thing.
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: Textbook - Japanese for Busy People 1

Postby Kendama_Kid » Fri 02.24.2006 12:50 am

Is this book in its entireity good enough for passing the 四級?

I am a busy person, so it seems the ideal book for me to break down my studying into a schedule of so many units a month. I also have the kanji cards and I can write hiragana fairly well.

Is there another text that you guys recommend that I should buy? I will be popping into Nagoya at the weekend, so I can pick up any new textbooks then.

Thanks in advance guys!

Kendama Kid.
:)
Kendama_Kid

Postby colind » Fri 02.24.2006 2:53 am

Personally i wouldn't recomend Japanese for Busy People.
I used Japanese for Everyone which i think was very good and many people say that the Genki books are very good. I suggest you look at all 3 books and decide which you think is best for you.

As for the JLPT... right now i can't decide if i will do level 2 or level 1. But its still a long time till the aplication time, so i have plenty of time to study hard and decide which one.
colind

Postby Kates » Fri 02.24.2006 12:39 pm

I agree with keatonatron. PRACTICE TESTS will help immensely. It shows you exactly what students have been tested on in the past, and you'll also know exactly what to expect when you take the JLPT, so you'll feel a lot more comfortable. Clay sells them in his store here, so they aren't hard to get! Buy as many as you can afford, since each book only has one test in it, and the more practice, the better. ^_^

And to the Pianogirl. ^_^ I think all of your questions can be answered by visiting the Japan Foundation site about the JLPT and about each test. The only one I'm not sure about is the age question you have... but I believe that you would be fine, at 14. I doubt they would turn teenagers away, but I would contact them somehow to be certain. ^_^
Kates

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.24.2006 10:10 pm

As long as you have ID of some sort, you can take the test.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Daisuke » Sat 02.25.2006 6:40 am

Daisuke wrote:
I don't think I am taking any test this year. Maybe 2007 if I get studied some more Japanese, but I have had a kinda long break from studying lately.

I so regret I said that. I got my disappointing results for last years JLPT the other day, and I am definitely up for doing it better this year. I plan on trying on level 3 again.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Zeo » Sat 02.25.2006 7:03 am

I so regret I said that. I got my disappointing results for last years JLPT the other day, and I am definitely up for doing it better this year. I plan on trying on level 3 again.

Hihi, you're allowed to change your mind. ;) ^_^

I might go for a test this year too, depends on how much school there will be. If I go for a test, it also depends on the school, does the school control us that much :O, anyway, it depends on the school cause if i get not so much homework, i'll go for the 3級, but if much school work, there will either be no test for me or i'll take the 4級.

Time will show. :)
Last edited by Zeo on Sat 02.25.2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby john_paul » Mon 05.29.2006 1:20 pm

as for me, I passed level 4 last year with just self-study (xeroxing books in the library and all) and I'm planning to go on level 3. I hope I can pass that level without any formal lessons. please wish me LUCk fellow japanese-language Lovers!;););)
Last edited by john_paul on Mon 05.29.2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john_paul

Postby ashitaka » Mon 05.29.2006 2:06 pm

4 and 3 are easy but the jump to level 2 is big. i recomend taking them in order because i liked to collect them. and it looks good on a resume if you have all four of them. good luck everyone. show those tests whos boss :D :D :D :D :D
and remember stay cool during the tests and dont freak out if you get stumped.
so just be like this guy B) during your tests.
Just watch out for the listening part, its probably the hardest part out of all the tests.
ashitaka

Postby Christian_ » Mon 05.29.2006 2:19 pm

I have to say that I am more motivated to study, I really need to start studying more...It seems kanji is my strong point ( which is still pretty weak) and I lack in everything else. I have a Japanese textbook and a blank spiral bound notebook I need to start using. I plan on finishing memorizing all the JLPT 4 kanji then move onto the textbook. It seems everyone has a problem with Kanji, I find them enjoyable. It's going through the tediouis task of reading stuff to learn grammar that I don't like. I like how I can just look at a Kanji and add it to my library in a few minuites.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 05.29.2006 2:20 pm

john_paul wrote:
as for me, I passed level 4 last year with just self-study (xeroxing books in the library and all) and I'm planning to go on level 3. I hope I can pass that level without any formal lessons. please wish me LUCk fellow japanese-language Lovers!;););)

Good luck! I like your style.
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby clay » Mon 05.29.2006 3:27 pm

For me, the hardest part of JLPT 3 was the grammar. I had to really buckle up to prepare for that. The kanji is difficult if you are starting from 0, but really isn't to bad considering you only need to know about 300 kanji.

If you are studying kanji for any of the tests, I recommend concentrating on the pronunciations. Of course the meaning is important, but the tests tend to try to trick you with false pronunciations.

For 2 kyuu, I found the reading section to be the hardest (thankfully that part didn't count much - so I managed to pass!). I don't think 3 kyuu has a reading section to speak of. 2 kyuu throws a page of text at you and gives you 5 minutes to answer questions on it. If you are studying for 2 kyuu, practice reading a little every day. I didn't feel the grammar pinch nearly as much as preparing for 3 kyuu. Of course the kanji jump (1000) is huge and should be where you spend most of your study time.

I still haven't taken 1 kyuu. I most likely won't this year, but maybe next.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby ashitaka » Mon 05.29.2006 3:41 pm

clay wrote:
For me, the hardest part of JLPT 3 was the grammar. I had to really buckle up to prepare for that. The kanji is difficult if you are starting from 0, but really isn't to bad considering you only need to know about 300 kanji.

If you are studying kanji for any of the tests, I recommend concentrating on the pronunciations. Of course the meaning is important, but the tests tend to try to trick you with false pronunciations.

For 2 kyuu, I found the reading section to be the hardest (thankfully that part didn't count much - so I managed to pass!). I don't think 3 kyuu has a reading section to speak of. 2 kyuu throws a page of text at you and gives you 5 minutes to answer questions on it. If you are studying for 2 kyuu, practice reading a little every day. I didn't feel the grammar pinch nearly as much as preparing for 3 kyuu. Of course the kanji jump (1000) is huge and should be where you spend most of your study time.

Clay

the kanji jump was the worst part for me. You only got 5 minutes?!?!?!?! i got 6.5-7 minutes for the page.
4 and 3 kyuu dont have much kanji, 300 may sound like a lot but its really small compared to what you have to learn for 2 and 1.
The vocab and kanji jump from 3 to 2 is the hardest part but the grammer wasn't to bad. the listening is what killed my score.

Dont study the kanji so much so that when your boss asks you for a paper every other word is kanji. (it was supposed to be in english but i crammed 50 kanji into my head that weakend :@ )

The book essential kanji is great it has 2,000 kanji with about 7-10 a page with lots of facts on each one. it has all the kanji for the JLPT and a lot of the vocabulary on 3 and 4 kyuu.
and TJS has a lot of good prep. material for the JLPT tests.

Oh yeah i have done 4,3,and 2 so guess which ones next...... im going to fail 1kyuu this year but i just want to see what its like.
Good luck on the tests everyone!!!
ashitaka

Postby PiPiS » Fri 07.21.2006 3:52 am

I'm going for JLPT 3 this year. Really crossing my fingers on it. Good luck to all!
PiPiS

Postby fairyDust » Thu 07.27.2006 12:41 pm

clay wrote:

Clay

Hmm For me, the hardest part (jlpt 3) was the listening section. I nearly fainted, lol
I think i scored 50+ which is really bad. The rest was quite ok though. I wana try taking the level 2 exam this year, but .... it seems that i can't cope.
fairyDust

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test