Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - meal time...

meal time...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: meal time...

Postby redfoxer » Sun 04.17.2005 9:01 am

Come down to england, go to the most expensive resturant, and ask for something really expensive. Youll get the smallest portion ever...
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby jinksys » Sun 04.17.2005 8:50 pm

england and food doesnt belong in the same sentence. *Gross*
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Vengeance » Mon 04.18.2005 9:53 am

Ya know...we don't eat all that weird stuff people say we do. There is a few weird dishes though like eel pie - honestly I never knew this existed until I saw the simpson episode and asked my grandparents.
Vengeance

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 04.18.2005 11:14 am

Kei wrote:
I think in general western culture. Well actually american, all of america, north and south have a thing for food that other places don't have. We like lots of it. Just the servings in restaurants are huge compared to other countries. IMO

The rest of the world likes food as much as Americans do. The difference is, in general the rest of the world eats healthier, smaller portions. In Germany you just don't eat fast food every day of the week. People here also cook for themselves much more than Americans. Another difference I noticed is that in Germany, all you can eat buffets are an extreme rarity, but in America they are EVERYWHERE. University dining commons, family restaurants, etc.. A fun exercise is to compare Mc'Donald's supersize meals in different countries.
Schattenjedi

Postby redfoxer » Mon 04.18.2005 7:14 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Ya know...we don't eat all that weird stuff people say we do. There is a few weird dishes though like eel pie - honestly I never knew this existed until I saw the simpson episode and asked my grandparents.

eel pie? what the...? what kinda food are we sposed to eat in britain cos i dont know whats wierd about our food. from what i know its like fish and chips and bangers (sausages) and mash. Shepards pies quiet oishii :P
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Applegate » Mon 04.18.2005 7:30 pm

I had a gaijin friend who bought big boxes of Mtn Dew from the import shop. To prevent withdrawal I suppose.

Add root beer to the freakish American drink list. I asked quite a few Japanese about it and every one who'd had it said it tasted like medication. Though the Okinawans apparantly love it (I met a man in OK who sent monthly boxes of root beer to his son's family on the mainland). Go figure.

Oh, and just as a weird, slightly on-topic story, the first Guinness I ever had was at an Irish-style pub in Nagoya owned and run by an expat Thai man. Ah, globalization.
Last edited by Applegate on Mon 04.18.2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Applegate
Reviews Editor,
Toon Zone News
Applegate

Postby Vengeance » Tue 04.19.2005 8:53 am

There are only a few weird dishes but meh. Honestly...eel pie existed...ugh. I'm so picky about my food anyway, like I ordered some tanuki udon once from a japanese restaurant and it was ok...the noodles were nice...then when it got to the ooze they were in...omg it was disgusting. It was like fish, oil, seaweed, and someone unknown substance to man.

I wasn't brave enough but I gave it to someone else who wanted to drink it and he almost threw up after it...

Ugh..

A friend decided to be really boring and order a burger...but then made it mildly exotic by having it "Japanese style" which bassically means...it's a sort of meat patty with raddish on top..

No bun, no fries, just a piece of meat with some raddish on it...

Enjoy!
Last edited by Vengeance on Tue 04.19.2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vengeance

Postby kikyo » Thu 07.14.2005 3:29 am

They serve just water??? Hmm I don't think so...
kikyo

Postby I-samu » Sun 03.05.2006 9:59 pm

At homes, no, there's mostly water.
There's a cool restaraunt called Fracasso where my cousin works at.
There's this gigantic all you can drink cafe thing, with anything you could think of.
[][][][]
I-samu

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan