Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New E-J Paper Dictionary

New E-J Paper Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

New E-J Paper Dictionary

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.30.2006 3:49 pm

Ok, I just saw this at B&N Kodansha's Communicative English-Japanese Dictionary

It looks really good and hot off the press, Copyright May 2006.

I have all these J-E dictionaries but no good comprehensive E-J dictionaries. The entries I examined clearly defined which words were the closest match based on context and there were example sentences for each context. The pronounciation is in kana, example sentences in kanji with furigana. Right now I'm about to say it's a must have. But I haven't bought it just yet. Probably tonight from amazon :)

This should be really great for when I'm in chat and trying to make J sentences :) wwwjdic is actually very inadequate as a E-J dictionary. Often too many hits with no way for the user to determine the most appropriate match. I just wonder if the hardback will fit in my backpack. I've already so many books in it.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 05.30.2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: New E-J Paper Dictionary

Postby clay » Tue 05.30.2006 3:50 pm

I would like to know what you think of it. I am getting a shipment in any day now.

Sounds very interesting.
clay
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Tue 05.30.2006 3:58 pm

Well, there's the eijiro dictionary you can access through ALC to handle the E-J side.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.30.2006 4:40 pm

Well, since your getting in a shipment. do you know what price you plan on charging for it? Right now amazon is doing super sale because this is the release month. Then the book will either go to 30% or no discount next month. If I don't have to pay too high a premium to buy from you then I probably will. I keep meaning to, but usually it's right after I make a purchase. You caught me this time before I actually made the order.

btw, I linked the hardcover version, which is the one I want. It was the softcover version that I saw at Barnes and Noble.

Rich san, you know that J site is very intimidating to me :o But thank you for the link. I'll give it a try.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 05.30.2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby richvh » Tue 05.30.2006 4:57 pm

You only need to pay attention to that search box near the top of the page. Put the word/phrase you want to look up in there, and hit enter.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.02.2006 1:29 am

Mine came in today.

I have to say that this is a SPECTACULAR dictionary. Easily one of the best learners' dictionaries I've ever seen. I don't think I could recommend it highly enough.

Everyone who *wants* to learn Japanese should get this puppy, and get it NOW. THIS is what a student dictionary always should have been, yet never has.

Buy it. Use it. Refer to it.

You won't regret it. Heck, I'm having a great time just skimming through it. The mini articles in the back alone are worth getting it for.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Fri 06.02.2006 3:06 am

Sweet! Amazon says not shipped yet, but hopefully they will send soon. As I attempt to create my own sentenced, an E-J dictionary has finally become important.

Like I said before, I saw it in B&N in paperback and was very impressed :)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips