Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Educational anime?

Educational anime?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Educational anime?

Postby richvh » Tue 05.30.2006 4:21 pm

A co-worker's 12-year-old daughter is learning Japanese and currently is watching a lot of Naruto. He asked my opinion (apparently his daughter's friend's father thinks Naruto is very educational and shows Japanese culture well) and I suggested Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo instead. Any suggestions on other anime that would hold a 12-year-old's attention and actually teach her something about Japanese culture?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

RE: Educational anime?

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.30.2006 5:03 pm

err, none of those would I consider educational. Of course you did emphasize that it was the friend that thinks Naruto shows Japanese culture well. Everyone there must speak -dattebayo go. Rurouni Kenshin, SC, etc, should at least stir up some interest in the Sengoku period, but it is hardly accurate either.

I saw one that would qualify, it was sorta sesame streetish and not so educational in a cultural context, but good for learning the language. But I can't remember the name. Maybe someone here can help. I want to say it is Wan chan or something. It had a dog as the main character, or maybe a mole, in some strange world, walking around and having little adventures. I remember them singing a massugu, massugu song while going through a tunnel. It was very appropriate for young children or anyone that is a rank beginner in Japanese. The sentences are relatively simple but the context engaging enough to maintain interest.

I saw it at an anime convention. I can contact the administrators and ask if they have any clue what it is if none of the Japanese people here can think what it might be.

Another one that could be good but for a cultural reason is Kimi ga nozomu Eien. the Anime not the H-game :P

This is good because, with the exception of the slap stick comedic relief, it portrays Japanese as normal people in normal modern life. It can help to relieve people of japanese-aren't-normal syndrome. It has some drama but gives a better take on modern Japan and can be educational since Robots and Aliens aren't popping up all over the place.

Not so educational but a little more serious, and funny too is Kodomo no Omocha. Again, no robots and aliens here, set in modern Japan. Sena gets pretty silly, but this story gets very serious in some places.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 05.30.2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.30.2006 5:13 pm

hrmm, 12yr old girl and Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo?? does she have a samurai sword?

picks:

Azumanga Daiou -- the quintessential half a dozen girls going through the high school years. festivals, sports day, class trips... very funny.
Ichigo Mashimaro -- "cute girls do cute things in cute ways", be it trying to quit smoking, going outside to play, celebrating a holiday, or doing school work.
Honey and Clover -- a group of friends at Art School dealing with everyday life.

not knowing diddly about everyday life in Japan, those three seem to be the most down to earth, everyday life type of anime that i've ever seen. and all three have great moments and aren't that hard to follow in Japanese.

Mai Hime -- sorta magical girl show, still modern time, still at a school, gets really dark during the second half where it goes all Battle Royale and they start killing each other off. "there can be only one."
Aria -- not modern day, not really cultural. but it's also easy to understand in Japanese and quite suitable for a 12yr old girl.
zengargoyle

Postby richvh » Tue 05.30.2006 6:07 pm

Infidel wrote:
err, none of those would I consider educational. Of course you did emphasize that it was the friend that thinks Naruto shows Japanese culture well. Everyone there must speak -dattebayo go. Rurouni Kenshin, SC, etc, should at least stir up some interest in the Sengoku period, but it is hardly accurate either.

Um, Sengoku period? Both Kenshin and Champloo are set in the Meiji period. I don't think they're all that educational either, but compared to Naruto... (I once heard a video store clerk extolling the virtues of Kenshin to a customer, in so far as its cultural realism goes, and I certainly would go that far, but some of the background stuff is educational... perhaps not much more accurate than "The Last Samurai", and perhaps not as accurate as the "Shogun" miniseries, but Naruto sets a low bar, I think.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby paraguaijin » Tue 05.30.2006 6:35 pm

i think Doraemon is cool, hehe ;) :D
paraguaijin

Native language: スペイン語

Postby Paul De Stefano » Tue 05.30.2006 7:21 pm

An older Anime title that is still available on DVD is Princess Nine. It would be educational as a slice of life in urban Japan, circa 1985. It is a great story of a young woman who inherits a wicked fastball from her father, now deceased, and the all girls baseball team that is built around her by the female chairman of the board of her high school. The chairman having been an old flame of her dad (the relationship doomed by the class distinction.) It is story of empowerment for young women. I think this is important in any culture. The very mild sexuality would be unusual for an American show but portrays nothing that should be new to most 12 year old young women.
Paul
Paul De Stefano

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.30.2006 11:53 pm

richvh wrote:
Infidel wrote:

Um, Sengoku period? Both Kenshin and Champloo are set in the Meiji period. I don't think they're all that educational either, but compared to Naruto... (I once heard a video store clerk extolling the virtues of Kenshin to a customer, in so far as its cultural realism goes, and I certainly would go that far, but some of the background stuff is educational... perhaps not much more accurate than "The Last Samurai", and perhaps not as accurate as the "Shogun" miniseries, but Naruto sets a low bar, I think.)

Doh! I knew better. Bleh, I obviously had Sengoku on the brain. Been reading all these 1600s stuff, even just recently re-read Shougun. Not minding that it was fiction.

It's Inuyasha that is supposed to be Sengoku based. So far the only things I noticed that were sengoku(ish) were the rocks on the roofs of the little huts. I certianly don't remember them ever comming across very many important historical figures. IIRC, Rourouni Kenshin at least drops off lots of names.

Of course for cultural tidbits
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 05.31.2006 1:42 am

kancho .. hehehhee
TrilinguisT

Postby Infidel » Wed 05.31.2006 2:55 am

found it, it's called dogtato kun.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 05.31.2006 4:04 am

Azumanga Daioh.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby SuzuQ » Wed 05.31.2006 10:57 pm

Naruto and Kenshin are fun and exciting, but I guess they are not so educational for 12yr old girl because they are always fighting...

I recommand you Sazae-san, Chibi maruko-chan and Kochikame. They are not so exciting anime if you compare to Naruto and Kenshin, but their stories are about present daily Japanese life. and they speak very natural Japanese. (especially Tara-chan in Sazae-san. That kid speaks perfect keigo for his age!)
SuzuQ

Postby Dutt » Wed 06.21.2006 7:08 pm

What about 'Yakitate! Japan'? Is it educational at all or are they just making stuff up that's plausible?
Dutt

Postby Langknow » Wed 06.21.2006 7:33 pm

I don't think Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien is a very good anime. Lots of drama, It's one of the few animes that make you cry.
Langknow

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions