Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Pronunciation of 「づ」

The Pronunciation of 「づ」

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

The Pronunciation of 「づ」

Postby hihlordjp » Sat 02.12.2005 4:11 am

A lot of references tell me that づ (tsu with the "ten-ten" ) is now pronounced just like ず (zu). I'm tempted to pronounce it as "dzu" (the old way) since, after all, it's a voiced "tsu". Any thoughts on this? Is it wrong to stick to that pronunciation? I'm a conservative when it comes to languages (like my native Filipino or even English) so my conservative tendencies also apply when it comes to Japanese.
Last edited by hihlordjp on Sat 02.12.2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

RE: The Pronunciation of 「づ」

Postby Sunny Pig » Sat 02.12.2005 5:24 am

I'm clueless about whether the old pronounciation is acceptable or not nowadays.

I was taught from the sources in which I used for my self-study, that 「づ」is pronounced as "zu". In fact, I've never used the old pronounciation. From J-pop songs, I'm quite sure that almost everyone pronounces it "zu" now.

I think you can still use the old pronounciation. I think people can still understand you. :)
現実は残酷だ!
Sunny Pig

Postby hihlordjp » Sat 02.12.2005 7:51 am

Yes, in all the J-Pop songs I've heard, づ is always pronounced as "zu". Still, I don't seem to want to stick to that pronunciation...

This reminds me of how, in Japanese, 〜ている can become 〜てる and how, in English, "want to" and "going to" can become "wanna" and "gonna", respectively...

Thanks for your help! :D
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

hihlordjp

Postby jinksys » Sat 02.12.2005 8:29 am

I was told it is pronounced "dzu", with the dz sounding like the english word
WORDS. DZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

But I guess either way is fine, dzu or zu.
Last edited by jinksys on Sat 02.12.2005 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby ichigoTIMU » Sat 02.12.2005 11:18 pm

my japanese teacher once told me that they only write 'dzu' in the romanji, to differeniate between 「ず」and 「づ」. so i dont think they change in sound. correct me if im wrong
In my head a blue fish has just died
ichigoTIMU

Postby jinksys » Sun 02.13.2005 5:57 pm

Both are pronounced the same, but one is used in special circumstances.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Mukade » Sat 02.19.2005 9:37 pm

In standard Tokyo dialect, づ is pronounced the same as ず.

There are many other dialects (Osaka included) that continue to pronounce it "dzu."

If you use the old pronunciation, you'll sound like a country bumpkin to a Tokyoite's ears. But in many other parts of the country, they won't think twice...in fact, it's considered proper.

Japanese teachers usually try to teach standard Tokyo dialect, which is why your teacher would stress pronouncing it as ず.

I would stick to the ず pronunciation, unless you find yourself in some part of Japan which pronounces it otherwise.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby hihlordjp » Sun 02.20.2005 8:34 am

Mukade wrote:
In standard Tokyo dialect, づ is pronounced the same as ず.

There are many other dialects (Osaka included) that continue to pronounce it "dzu."

If you use the old pronunciation, you'll sound like a country bumpkin to a Tokyoite's ears. But in many other parts of the country, they won't think twice...in fact, it's considered proper.

Japanese teachers usually try to teach standard Tokyo dialect, which is why your teacher would stress pronouncing it as ず.

I would stick to the ず pronunciation, unless you find yourself in some part of Japan which pronounces it otherwise.

Thank you for the background, Mukade!

I'll heed your advice, even though it goes against my conservative stance to languages. B)
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

hihlordjp

Postby hihlordjp » Mon 02.21.2005 3:25 am

I conferred with my friend who was raised in Japan and he said that it is indeed pronounced like "zu", but that he still still pronounces it as "dzu". He recommended that I pronounce it like the latter.

He was living in Osaka at an early part of his life, so I guess that explains it...
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

hihlordjp

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems