Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji/Vocab Question Structure

Kanji/Vocab Question Structure

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Kanji/Vocab Question Structure

Postby spin13 » Wed 04.06.2005 10:00 pm

I have read all I can about the JLPT and hope to take the san-kyuu test this coming December. I will eventually be interested in purchasing a back-copies of the test, but am in a tight spot for both time and money until my school semester ends. However, I am curious as to how they structure the Kanji/Vocab section of the test. By this, I mean, do they present kanji and hiragana words, asking for a reading and translation; do they do the reverse, providing English and expecting Japanese; is it both, or something completely different? How important is jukugo? I understand it is part of the language, but how much of the test covers it, at least in the vocab section? Thank you in advance.

-Eric
spin13

Native language: English

RE: Kanji/Vocab Question Structure

Postby battousai » Thu 04.07.2005 7:41 am

I pretty much posted the same question as you, but yet to receive a response. I have a feeling not many people work with these books, only probably Clay. I've never worked with the "English" version of the books, only the Japanese so I wanted to know if they did indeed have translations. I doubt it now, but I can at least answer your format questions.

The Kanji section is split up into them giving you the kanji and you having to give the correct hiragana, and also the reverse. There really isn't a "vocab" section on the test because the entire test is basically knowing vocab. Jugoku isn't too prevalent, but there are definitely questions with them towards the end. I wouldn't worry about it much in level 3. You might think this is too simple, but the trick they throw in is the kana version of the kanji is often given every vowel extreme. As in, 旅行 would give you the choices of りょうこう、 りょこう、 りょうこ、 りょこ and of course you have to know the correct spelling.

Hope this helps.
battousai

RE: Comprehensive?

Postby spin13 » Tue 04.12.2005 2:21 pm

How common is it to see material (kanji, specifically) that is from a lower level test? While grammar and comprehension is obviously comprehensive, is the kanji as well? I'm not so curious for laziness reasons or lack of knowing, but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into. For reference, I plan on skipping the 4th Kyuu test and taking the 3rd Kyuu. Thanks again.

-Eric
spin13

Postby Spaztick » Tue 04.12.2005 3:00 pm

The 3 kyuu test has about 300-400 kanji, I think. I feel I'm ready for the 4 kyuu test and can be ready for the 3 kyuu by the time the test comes. I compare it with kanji, as if you know the kanji you prolly know or can figure out the vocabulary.

The only part that's gonna get me is listening comprehension.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: onyomi, kunyomi

Postby spin13 » Wed 04.13.2005 2:52 pm

As far as I know, there are 282 kanji on the 3rd Kyuu test.

Do they ask a mixture of on- and kun- readings, the most common, or simply a kunyomi? I have been studying the meanings and readings that have the most practical use to me and while not purposely neglecting alternative readings, it would be something I would have to reapply myself to if it is that important.

-Eric
spin13

Postby Spaztick » Wed 04.13.2005 2:55 pm

I think that when it comes to kanji they will ask you on and kun readings, along with vocabulary. But, if you know the vocabularly or the on and kun, then you will be fine for both.

And cool I guess that means I could pass the 3 kyuu right now.
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.14.2005 9:23 am

First of all, keep in mind that the entire test is multiple-guess. ;)

That aside, however, I am currently holding a copy of アルク's 日本語のう力試験2級受験問題集, and the kanji section in here is seperated into three sections:

Section 1 has an example sentence with a kanji or jukugo underlined. You are then asked to choose from several possible readings of that kanji or jukugo.

Section 2 has an example sentence with the kanji replaced by their readings. You are then asked to choose from several possible kanji or jukugo for that reading.

Section 3 has a sentence describing a state or concept, and you are asked to select a kanji or jukugo whose meaning encompasses that state or concept.

Does that all make sense?

--------------

Edit: No matter how hard I try, every time I enter the kanji for のう, it comes up in mojibake (mixed-up code).

*shrugs*
Last edited by Mukade on Thu 04.14.2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mukade

Postby Gaijinian » Sun 04.17.2005 8:40 am

Edit: No matter how hard I try, every time I enter the kanji for のう, it comes up in mojibake (mixed-up code).

Odd.... How about this: ・#92;

That happened to my katakana "so" once, but no other characters...・#92;
Odd...

文字化け for me, too...
Last edited by Gaijinian on Sun 04.17.2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Spaztick » Sun 04.17.2005 10:37 am

so what does that say? writing-character-change?

(it's something-jikake, for the reading, right?)
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby hihlordjp » Sun 04.17.2005 12:12 pm

Mukade wrote:

*shrugs*

I've discovered that I have the same problem... This needs to be brought to Clay's attention.
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test