Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Well, I finally ordered Genki

Well, I finally ordered Genki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Well, I finally ordered Genki

Postby I-samu » Tue 05.30.2006 4:00 pm

What should I do to prepare myself?
It's coming in a few days.
I know all of hiragana, but not a lick of katakana.
[][][][]
I-samu

RE: Well, I finally ordered Genki

Postby clay » Tue 05.30.2006 4:04 pm

Congratulations! I think you will enjoy Genki.

It basically assumes you know Hiragana and Katakana even though there is an introduction to both. Also the first lesson will actually write hiragana under every katakana word.

Still, I would try my best to learn katakana before you get it.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby I-samu » Tue 05.30.2006 8:47 pm

clay wrote:
Congratulations! I think you will enjoy Genki.

It basically assumes you know Hiragana and Katakana even though there is an introduction to both. Also the first lesson will actually write hiragana under every katakana word.

Still, I would try my best to learn katakana before you get it.

Clay

Ok. Thaks, I'll cram in some Katakana.
I also bought the workbook. Since my mom is Japanese, she can just read off and comment on my pronounciation instead of me ordering the CD's, right?
Or do the CD's have different activities than the book?
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby ashitaka » Tue 05.30.2006 9:12 pm

The CD's are helpfull but you dont need them. your mom is a better resource than those CD's. however when you get to the second textbook i would recomend the CD's.
Thaks, I'll cram in some Katakana

if you ordered the books from the genki website you dont have to cram in katakana you will have plenty of time.

But if you ordered from TJS it will be delivered soon so start craming.
(But of course you bought them from Clay-san, or at least you should have, his stuff is cheap and delivers fast.)(and we all want to support Clay-san)

Ganki has a great introduction of kana(even better than JFBP)(japanese for busy people)

Katakana is very usefull for begginers and you can easily learn it in a day if you know hiragana. They are nice and "sharp" so are easyer to learn then the "elegant" hiragana.

Genki is great!!! the hiragana under the katakana will help you learn katakana fast also so you dont need to cram in to much study time.

I never studied katakana i just looked up a katakana when i needed it for something and i learned that way without actually studyieng.

I ordered all the textbooks and i got them in 2 days. (I think i ordered them from TJS)

Did you get all the Genki books or just the first textbook and workbook?
Oh and the thired chapter in Genki 1 is great, i dont remember what it was about but i remember i liked it alot.

EDIT:
Wow i typed a lot. Guess i typed so much because Genki is awsome.
(im not obsessed with genki......well maybe a little.......yeah just a little bit obsessed.)
Last edited by ashitaka on Tue 05.30.2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashitaka

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Tue 05.30.2006 10:09 pm

tell me what you think of it, im considering getting it myself. its supposed to be very good :)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby ashitaka » Tue 05.30.2006 10:18 pm

It is VERY good!!! But once you finish them they are only good for refrences.
ashitaka

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.30.2006 11:34 pm

hamster san, since you are going to be taking a course in school, I actually recommend you don't get a full fledged course like Genki. Dividing your attention between two or more courses actually slows you down. Of course, if your school course uses genki then you will get the benefit of a head start.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby I-samu » Wed 05.31.2006 11:59 am

ashitaka wrote:
The CD's are helpfull but you dont need them. your mom is a better resource than those CD's. however when you get to the second textbook i would recomend the CD's.
Thaks, I'll cram in some Katakana

if you ordered the books from the genki website you dont have to cram in katakana you will have plenty of time.

But if you ordered from TJS it will be delivered soon so start craming.
(But of course you bought them from Clay-san, or at least you should have, his stuff is cheap and delivers fast.)(and we all want to support Clay-san)

Ganki has a great introduction of kana(even better than JFBP)(japanese for busy people)

Katakana is very usefull for begginers and you can easily learn it in a day if you know hiragana. They are nice and "sharp" so are easyer to learn then the "elegant" hiragana.

Genki is great!!! the hiragana under the katakana will help you learn katakana fast also so you dont need to cram in to much study time.

I never studied katakana i just looked up a katakana when i needed it for something and i learned that way without actually studyieng.

I ordered all the textbooks and i got them in 2 days. (I think i ordered them from TJS)

Did you get all the Genki books or just the first textbook and workbook?
Oh and the thired chapter in Genki 1 is great, i dont remember what it was about but i remember i liked it alot.

EDIT:
Wow i typed a lot. Guess i typed so much because Genki is awsome.
(im not obsessed with genki......well maybe a little.......yeah just a little bit obsessed.)

So how will the CD's help out on the second textbook?
And, yeah, I just got 1st book and 1st textbook.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby Apollo » Wed 05.31.2006 2:18 pm

What's Genki? lol
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby richvh » Wed 05.31.2006 2:22 pm

Apollo wrote:
What's Genki? lol

A series of textbooks for learning Japanese.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby clay » Wed 05.31.2006 2:44 pm

I will probably get in trouble for saying this, but I never really 'studied' katakana. Like you mention, I basically picked it up on a need to know basis. I came across a katakana word, used a katakana chart to get the reading and pretty soon I could read them without looking at the chart.

But don't listen to me. I am lazy and it is best to learn them by heart first.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Wed 05.31.2006 11:52 pm

didn't bother to study kana either. It's uncommon enough that it can be picked up as you go.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ashitaka » Thu 06.01.2006 12:18 am

I will probably get in trouble for saying this, but I never really 'studied' katakana. Like you mention, I basically picked it up on a need to know basis. I came across a katakana word, used a katakana chart to get the reading and pretty soon I could read them without looking at the chart.

That was almost word for word from one of your posts a few months ago.

And ISamu-san the second textbook has a lot more to do with the CD's (more activities) and can also be used as a stand alone material to a certain degree. (i lost my #2 textbook and still use the CD's sometimes when im bored)
The second book is more advanced and the CD's just help out when you want to test yourself oraly.
(and your mom isnt going to be with you everytime you want to have yourself tested on saying complicated/long things corectly)

But don't listen to me. I am lazy and it is best to learn them by heart first.

I would say learn at least like 20 katakana (harder ones because you will learn the simple ones fast.)
ashitaka

Postby Reno » Thu 06.01.2006 3:21 am

Im taking Genki is a learningbook for japanese?
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby queshaw » Fri 06.02.2006 12:26 am

Maybe listening to Genki Shock by Shonen Knife will help studying Genki.
queshaw

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips