Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Yakuzas

Yakuzas

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Yakuzas

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.02.2006 7:11 pm

The point being that whole BOOKS have been written on the subject, and I'm not really fond of trying to digest that material and try to put the guts in a single post.

Have you ever seen the "I'm interested in samurai, tell me all about them" posts in some places? That makes me twitch. I've got hundreds of books on Japanese history, most of them related in one way or another to samurai. If someone can formulate a shorter, more focussed question, it's possible to answer, but "all there is to know" is a hell of a tall order.

At any rate, on thing that really weirds most westerners out (and, I like to hope, substantial numbers of Japanese) about the yakuzoids is the annual visits to the local police department to "apologize for any inconveniences over the past year." Or the sometimes barely disguised yakuzoid/police connections of the past.

See, in the post-war years, the yakuzoids were, as a rule, militantly pro-Japanese and right-wing. They made a very effective sub-rosa counter force against pro-Communist movements, and they could get away with a little roughing up of people who "needed roughing up" when the police and the MacArthur GHQ *couldn't*. Because of that connection, a lot of things were allowed to slide. But they were also rather anti occupation force (being pro-Japanese as they were), so intermediaries (often in the government) were needed.

There are considerable ties and connections between "legal" gambling in Japan like pachinko and the infamous Motorboat Racing Association, as well as such "normal" businesses like construction and entertainment, and a few crime families, and also with the militant right-wingers (the people in the black sound trucks).

They are really spread out in a lot of areas, and have their fingers in a LOT of pies, owing to their position of "defenders of the Japanese" against the oppressive invading occupational forces in the immediate post-war years.

There's a lot of stuff there.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby kotori » Fri 06.02.2006 11:25 pm

I realize there's a lot of stuff. And that's very cool. But he wasn't specifically asking you to shoulder the entire responsibility of explaining the yakuza yourself, Tony-sensei. It's just fun to talk to other people about stuff sometimes. Who knows, maybe there was a full-fledged yakuza fanboy out there that could have told him loads and doesn't mind summarizing books just for the joy of talking about his hobby. :P

anyway... thanks for the info. I really do want the book, but it'll have to wait till after I have the cash saved up to go visit my mom this summer. :D
kotori

Postby coco » Fri 06.02.2006 11:46 pm

kotori-san.
どのような話題が、どういうサイトにふさわしいか考えたらトニーさんの対応は至極当然だろうと思いますよ。
たとえば、このサイトで延々とヘンタイについて語って欲しいと思いますか?
Last edited by coco on Fri 06.02.2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 06.03.2006 12:59 am

this is kind of interesting. why do japanese boys (or girls) think about being a yakuza to begin with?

in america, its an obvious reason why anyone (minorities) would want to join gangs. its really sad how everyone has a this sort of BAD impression on them and sutff, it really is. my cousins are in gangs and they are about the nicest people i know.

before, like everyone else, i thought gangs were bad and low-lives and all of that other stereotypes you can come up with.

until i really got to know them and understand thier situation, i became more weary of their motives. the media is nothing but a one-sided story, so dont trust it. anyways, ppl join gangs becuase they have the need to be 'in' or belong to a group. they also need protection which they can only have their homies back them up. another reason is believe it or not, but the lack of jobs are to blame as well. no equal oppertunity in employment after highschool can make one really bored. what else is there to do? thats why they drink and do drugs. not only is this the case with gangs, but american indians are'nt accepted in their own native land. all they recieve is a check for the month, without working, they get bored and drink themselves to death .. it such a sad thing to see. :(

back on topic, why is it that japanese boys (or girls) would decide to be a yakuza ?
TrilinguisT

Postby Infidel » Sat 06.03.2006 2:15 am

TrilinguisT wrote:

before, like everyone else, i thought gangs were bad and low-lives and all of that other stereotypes you can come up with.

until i really got to know them and understand thier situation, i became more weary of their motives. the media is nothing but a one-sided story, so dont trust it. anyways, ppl join gangs becuase they have the need to be 'in' or belong to a group. they also need protection which they can only have their homies back them up. another reason is believe it or not, but the lack of jobs are to blame as well. no equal oppertunity in employment after highschool can make one really bored. what else is there to do?

If there is one thing wrong with american culture it is how people will claim that they were "forced" to act a certian way due to the situation. People CAN argue that their straights force them to commit petty theft. But there is NO EXCUSE for the stuff gangs do. NONE. I know gang members too. It's not the media giving them a bad rap. Gangs give themselves a bad rap, and they deserve it. No one is forced to kill people, do drugs, or all of the other violent crime associated with gangs. They CHOOSE to act that way.

Another problem is people don't get that equal opportunity does not mean equal results. 30 people may enter a race but only 3 get medals, the rest are a bunch of losers who can try again next time. Everyone has the same opportunity to win, but only a few will. In a land of equal opportunity, you have to be MORE competative, not less. Too many people aren't willing to make the extra effort, so they fall behind and blame the system. The system works great.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 06.03.2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby taku » Sat 06.03.2006 5:47 am

Reno wrote:
taku wrote:
karelhof wrote:
why do people in japan don't like to talk about it? are they really so powerful then?
and what are the parts of movies I musntn't belive?:|

well, the things like: " if they do something wrong they cut their fingers" that was before, now the police takes away anyone who has not all the fingers..:D
we dont like talking about them because they are dangerous

This is where The Netherlands differ from Japan. I got to say Japan sounds good but one thing bothers me and that one thing happens to be the strongest point in my (and Karelhof's) country: Speaking your mind. The politeness levels are important there but that also makes it that you dont say what you think to one another. Here we have Hell's Angels and believe me everybody talks open and out loud about them, because we want the problem solved and gone. Thats something I dont see in Japan, but maybe Taku-san can tell me if this is right or not.

The police have cracked down on Yakuza activity a lot. The Yakuza aren't nearly as big and powerful as they once were. Historically, organized crime seems to swell in times of economic hardships (i.e. the American Mafia during the depression, the Yakuza after WWII).

When rather public people are assassinated by the Yakuza, it isn't unheard of for one member of the gumi to volunteer to be taken into police custody in order to take the fall for his superiors. There have been several highly publicized instances of this in the past.

if you are in Japan talking about yakuzas on the street , most people will think:Gaikokujins....wathever.Even a yakuza will think that.

But I recommend you not to go on dark alleys at 3 am in cities like Osaka.
taku

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.05.2006 9:49 am

kotori wrote:
I realize there's a lot of stuff. And that's very cool. But he wasn't specifically asking you to shoulder the entire responsibility of explaining the yakuza yourself, Tony-sensei. It's just fun to talk to other people about stuff sometimes. Who knows, maybe there was a full-fledged yakuza fanboy out there that could have told him loads and doesn't mind summarizing books just for the joy of talking about his hobby. :P

anyway... thanks for the info. I really do want the book, but it'll have to wait till after I have the cash saved up to go visit my mom this summer. :D

kotori you are usually spot on, but fanboys usually have the worst information possible about a subject. they are so full of their craft they can't see the forest for the trees.. i wouldn't trust a fanboy to hold my notes ona subject let alone go to them for info.. gah..

and as Tony has mentioned on more than one occassion, read the book, then come with questions, not the other way around. personally I think if you can't take the time to read it, you really don't deserve to hear more about it.. that's just me and I know it's critical, but I stand firmly on that ground.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.05.2006 3:02 pm

Two-heads, I *so* need to buy you a beer. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.05.2006 4:21 pm

notnecessary Tony, but the offer is greatly appreciated. ;)
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.05.2006 4:33 pm

Well, just let me know. If you're ever in the northern Virginia area, you... hey, WAITAMINNIT! You anywhere near Reston?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Mon 06.05.2006 6:23 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Well, yeah. If you've ever seen a Zattoichi film, you've seen the proto-yakuza culture in the Edo period. ;)

Heh... The Zattoichi movies are great. One of my friends showed me 1, 2, and the final battle scene in the last one.

Speaking of organized crime, I was in Boston last summer with my family and ended up spending a good bit of time in the italian district of town where there was lot of mafia. Some obvious some not, but despite there not being any police around it felt like the safest and most welcoming area in town. Only after I thought about it did it make sense. The mafia "takes care of its own" so to speak. They policed their area and make it safe and welcome for tourists. They were quite friendly too.:D
Seijiro Hiko

Postby Taojinn » Wed 06.21.2006 4:13 am

You know the Yakuza hold the record for largest organized crime syndicate in the Guinness Book of Records, that's kind of funny.
Knowledge is the only salvation for those who seek to exist, otherwise it's just cool.
Taojinn

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan