Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Your Views on Smoking

Your Views on Smoking

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Your Views on Smoking

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Mon 06.05.2006 9:34 pm

I think that is one of the most disgusting practices on the face of the earth.

why would one start? why would one continue?

feel free to answer those...since Im clueless. lol

so tell me how you feel. for it? against it? dont care?

B)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

RE: Your Views on Smoking

Postby kanadajin » Mon 06.05.2006 9:38 pm

Hmm, I don't really mind if someone smokes really.. If they want to they can their own decissions. I don't think I would because Im an athlete and if I did i wouldnt be able to run for crap.

I ask some of my friends the underage smokers why they started, they said because they were feeling a lot of stress and it's a good stress reliever. Why would you continue? Well I couldn't answer that, if someone REALLY wanted to quit they could easily (My point of view.)
kanadajin

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Mon 06.05.2006 9:42 pm

um actually cigarettes are STIMULANTS...they raise your blood pressure, etc.

they dont relieve stress. lol.
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby kanadajin » Mon 06.05.2006 9:45 pm

I know that.. But thats why my friends said they started.
kanadajin

Postby ashitaka » Mon 06.05.2006 10:47 pm

well enhaling arsenic and over 4000 harmfull chemicals 600 of which are very deadly like rat poison and plutonium210 (yeah same stuff is in a nuclear bomb)
causes bad breath and teeth. turns your skin yellow. desolves your lungs and liver. kills brain cells and makes you stupid. has 15 milagrams of tar in one cigaret.

If that doesn't make you want to smoke then what will. :o
ashitaka

Postby keatonatron » Mon 06.05.2006 11:45 pm

But smoking just looks so cool.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Mukade » Mon 06.05.2006 11:50 pm

I quit smoking about five years ago now. Before that, I would smoke off and on for a year or two at a time. I tried my first cigarette when I was about 15 (just curiousity, really), but didn't really get hooked until I started bar-hopping with friends in college. When everyone around you is smoking, it's easy to just pick up the habit on your own for no reason at all.

Despite (or because of) the fact that it's a stimulant, it tends to make you feel less stressed during tough times. I don't know the biology behind it, but I can account directly for the results.

Eventually I stopped because I wanted to do things like ski and play tennis and, especially at high-altitude in Colorado, found that it was impossible when I was hacking up half my lung while doing so.

kanadajin - you say it would be easy for people to quit if they wanted to. All I have to say to that is: you've obviously never been addicted to a substance of any kind. Especially if your lifestyle is amenable to cigarettes (or alcohol or pot or even coffee), then it's really tough to quit, even when you want to. I had to completely remove myself from all my smoking friends and avoid bars and restaurants where smoking was prevalent before I could quit.

And even after five years of not smoking, I still crave one from time to time.

It is a nasty and debilitating habit, and because of its addictiveness, I would strongly advise avoiding it.

End of public service announcement. ;)

------------

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit, I thought I would say something to make this thread a little more on-topic.

I was just going to say that for those of you that are bothered by second-hand smoke, be forewarned that (in at least some estimates) close to half the population of Japan smokes. And although non-smoking areas are increasing, smoking is still allowed in many, many places.

There's plenty of occasions, too, where you'll be sitting in the 'non-smoking' area of a restaurant and the guy at the very next table is sitting in the smoking area.

So, obviously, it doesn't have much meaning.

If you are a smoker, don't take this to mean that Japan is a smoker's paradise. Cigarettes here can be very expensive. That's one reason they make such a popular gift for a Japanese person.
Last edited by Mukade on Tue 06.06.2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mukade

Postby kotori » Tue 06.06.2006 12:01 am

So what thread is going to be next?

Subj: What do you think of dogs as pets?
Body: People who have dogs as pets are completely disgusting. It's wrongfully subjugating a gentle creature into a life of servitude. Everyone who has a dog out there deserves to be shot in the kneecaps.

Subj: Who likes <insert something here>
Body: I'm just writing this post to say that I think whoever answers "me" to the topic of this post is a complete scumbag, and you should go take a flying leap off of Mt Fuji lololz

Seriously, stop with the moralist crusades. People do what they like.
kotori

Postby jinksys » Tue 06.06.2006 12:25 am

kotori wrote:

Body: People who have dogs as pets are completely disgusting. It's wrongfully subjugating a gentle creature into a life of servitude. Everyone who has a dog out there deserves to be shot in the kneecaps.

Body: I'm just writing this post to say that I think whoever answers "me" to the topic of this post is a complete scumbag, and you should go take a flying leap off of Mt Fuji lololz

Way to be an H-Bomb.
Everyone's dancing, having a good ol' time and you show up....boom...everything's dead.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby tanuki » Tue 06.06.2006 12:26 am

hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
I think that is one of the most disgusting practices on the face of the earth.

You obviously don't know many "practices" then...;)

kotori wrote:

Well, and these people are doing what they like: moralist crusades. :p
Last edited by tanuki on Tue 06.06.2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby queshaw » Tue 06.06.2006 1:49 am

I used to smoke. I quit because my girlfriend wanted me to. I actually worked in a tobacco store just before meeting her and thoroughly loved cigars and good quality cigarettes, i.e. not from America except for American Spirit cigarettes.

My impression is that American cigarettes in particular are filled with crap. Not only are they terrible for you, but they smell horrible because of what is in them. I still love the smell of cigars and pipe tobacco and also good quality cigarettes.

Probably even good quality tobacco is bad for you to inhale. I knew a few people who really did only smoke on special occasions... I don't think I could do that.

A happy person siting with friends in a culture that smokes, smoking and relaxing is probably healthier than a person who is not smoking but completely stressed from all his achievement goals.

I've seen plenty of happy elderly pipe smokers, not many cigarette smokers.

One thing I lack from stopping smoking, is I don't have the regular "meditation" that smoking required me to have.

It's probably safer for you to smoke than it is to ride a motorcycle.

Cigarettes in isolation are just part of a problem.
queshaw

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.06.2006 1:57 am

I'm allergic to cigarete smoke. I'm alergic to the residue of cigarete smoke. Being in the same room as a smoker who smoked, but hasn't bathed or washed their clothes since they smoked will make my eyes burn, my face itch, and I'll start sneezing even if it's been hours since the smoker lit up. If someone is smoking in the same room as I am in, even if the room is an indoor football field, I'll have trouble breathing.

I really don't care what smokers do in private, or encourage them to stop for their own good. But it's not a personal vice, it affects everyone around them. So it should be regulated to the user's private residence and special smoking areas. Just as you can't go releive yourself wherever you want, because it stinks, it pollutes, it's unsanitary, the same reasons apply to smoking.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Machina Maw » Tue 06.06.2006 2:19 am

kotori wrote:

I agree. These threads are getting ridiculous and, quite really, pathetic. I can think of so many ways I would rather spend my time than bitching and arguing about smoking. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go watch some concrete dry.
Machina Maw

Postby vixen » Tue 06.06.2006 2:26 am

mmmh *blinks* i wd be the most glad a person to take a box of Marlboro for my b'day present evenif one does not care to bring me flowers fo' me ;)
vixen

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.06.2006 9:40 am

yep "opinion" threads are just a gateway to anarchy. one opinion begets another begets a race riot, begets and "HBOMB" and then we all go away wondering who the people on the other side of the posts really are.

but for my 2 cents.. hahaha, you thought i was gonna say something didn't you? we I won't..:o:o
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to General off topic