Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Site Move Information

Site Move Information

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Site Move Information

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.05.2006 9:53 pm

In case you didn't know, http://www.thejapanesepage.com is moving to a new server sometime soon. Keep checking this thread for further updates.
zengargoyle

RE: Site Move Information

Postby kanadajin » Mon 06.05.2006 10:21 pm

:o why is it moving :(
kanadajin

Postby clay » Mon 06.05.2006 10:30 pm

Basically because the server it is now on will eventually be shut down. It is a friend of mine's and he asked me to (at our convenience) move it when possible.

Plus I think we have been pushing its limits recently. Hopefully the new server will have more space and fewer problems.

Thanks,
Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Mon 06.05.2006 11:11 pm

That big yellow notice is REALLY annoying.

If you do the move smoothly, no one will even notice the server change and there'd be no need for a giant warning sign that gives no information.

For example:

1. Build a new server.
2. Copy everything off the old server onto the new server.
3. Run tests to make sure the new server works well. Once you've got it all working,
4. Replace the current TJP page with a "We are in the process of upgrading, please check back soon" page so that no one adds any more posts.
5. Copy over the post database one last time to get any changes that were made while you were testing.
6. Replace the "now upgrading page" with a "now upgrading, pleae continue by clicking here" and a link to the new server to reduce effective downtime (won't be pretty, but it will work).
7. Update the DNS to point to the new server. In about a day, the "now upgrading" page your users see will automatically change to the new server.

People don't manage their money on this site, and generally don't shape their lives around it, so making such a huge fuss over some down time is really pointless. Plus, you don't yet have any details. And the yellow banner hurts my eyes.

That is all.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby clay » Mon 06.05.2006 11:12 pm

Zengargoyle-san is taking care of that. The warning label is there to just let people know what's going on. This thread will have more info soon... The plan is once the DNS records have been updated, the yellow will become red saying, 'future posts until changed may be lost' or something.

You have a point about the Yellow. Zengargoyle-san, is it possible to tone down the yellow just a bit?
Last edited by clay on Mon 06.05.2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby torgosaves » Mon 06.05.2006 11:54 pm

Hi!! Will there be a new layout with new graphics? I could try to make some graphics if you want. It's what I went to school for! You know, graphic design!

今日は!  新しいウェブサイトはレイアウトやグラフィックスがありますか、 私も作るグラフィックスを上げるか。 以上にとって大学校へ通いましたよ。 グラフィック・ディザインですな!

Tell me if my grammar is okay. These are still legitimite questions.

-Clay
ブログに行って下さい。http://aoutain.blogspot.com/
torgosaves

Postby coco » Tue 06.06.2006 12:03 am

keatonatronさん。
よくもまあ、善意でサーバー移転の協力をしてくださる人に対して
そんなことが言えますね。:@
万一、なにかトラブルがあったときのために
サーバー移転を告知するのは当然の対処ではないですか?
事実、サーバー移転のことについて分かっていない人がいます。
何かあったら、その人たちが騒ぐでしょう。
keatonatronさんは、zenさんと同じことをできますか?
批判するに値するだけのことをできますか? :|
−−−−−−−
Zenさん。ご多忙のところいろいろお骨折りいただきありがとうございます。
身の程知らずの発言をする輩はどこにでもいますが、これに懲りず、
どうかよろしくお願いします。m(__)m
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby appleraja » Tue 06.06.2006 12:10 am

the yellow thing isnt annoying its just a 1 liner
appleraja

Postby jinksys » Tue 06.06.2006 12:28 am

The yellow thing is fine, how it can hurt anyone's eyes, I donno...B)
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.06.2006 12:39 am

appleraja wrote:
the yellow thing isnt annoying its just a 1 liner

It's three lines of ugly yellow that span the entire page :o

COCOさん、
意見教えてくださってありがとうございます。
かなり長い間、自分のサーバーを管理しています。その上、サーバーというパャRンを作ったことがあって、全部よく分かると思います。

僕は、いつもプロのように行動したいです。プロの人(ISP、でかいサイトの人など)は、まず、メンバー全員にメール一つを送ります。「サーバーをアップして、問題があったら少々お待ちください」と言う。メンバーはメールもらえない場合、このFORUMのようにポスト一つするけど、普通ポストで、STICKYにします。知りたい人は読んで、知りたくない人は読みません。

プロはいつも、情報がたくさん分かるまで、何も言いません。そうして、「問題が起こるかも、こわい!!!」と言うより、「簡単にアップするけど、万一問題が起こったら、一生懸命直しますので、心配しないでください」みたいな様子をする。(TJPはこんな悪い様子していないから、ちょっと関係ないポイントですけど・・・)

ZENはプロかどうか分かりません。僕の返事はちょっとかたすぎるかもしれないけど、僕の「プロになろう!」という意見を差し上げたかっただけです。(僕には、世界中見えるものに対して、プロに見えるのは大切です。できれば、下記の英語を読んでください:D)

If I came across as angry or mean in my post, I'm sorry! I was just trying to suggest ways to proceed in a more professional manner, which I think is extremely important when dealing with something that the entire world can see (i.e. TV, internet, magazine publications, etc.).

It might not seem important, but think of how new visitors to the site will see things. A large panicy warning label that doesn't provide much info makes it look like things aren't under control, and people might be skeptical about spending their time here or even trusting the info on this site. :|
keatonatron

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.06.2006 12:40 am

jinksys wrote:

Cuz you're wearing sunglasses :D:D:D
keatonatron

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.06.2006 12:45 am

well, the yellow was a bit on the annoying side. :D sorry, i'm not a designer, i just used the CSS named "yellow" color to keep myself from looking a color charts for hours trying to pick the perfect shade. ;)

about the notice of mostly nothing... habit i guess. where i work people go on the warpath over unscheduled outages, or lack of notification.

but yes, if everything goes right it should only take 30 minutes or so to get everything done. the bulk of that being the dump/download/upload/load of the databases. they're about 20MB total. but everything is already scripted as much as possible.

the most variable part will be the time it takes DNS changes to propagate, and some people might need to restart their browsers (some browsers only check DNS the first time they need to and won't pick up a change without restarting).

hopefully, the Administrators will shortly be checking out the new site to see if there's anything i've missed that isn't working correctly. then we can move forward.
zengargoyle

Postby Ndoki » Tue 06.06.2006 1:52 am

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed! If there's anything I can do to help just let me know.
Ndoki

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 06.06.2006 2:01 am

Good luck.
b4d0m3n

Postby jinksys » Tue 06.06.2006 2:38 am

keatonatron wrote:
jinksys wrote:

Cuz you're wearing sunglasses :D:D:D

I got a prescription for those!!! lol
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Next

Return to Problems