Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.14.2005 9:13 pm

Has anyone ever read the manga for this series? I think I saw the movie once when I was little, but I dont remember. I do love this story though... it kinda reminds me of Princess Mononoke, because of the tree-hugger aspect to it. hehe. No Im not knocking environmentalists, just the extremists. But if you havent read it, you should. ;)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

RE: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Postby ben » Fri 04.15.2005 10:07 am

Whet is that movie about? I wanna get it, but can you kindof explain it more?
Learning slowly, but surely...

...maybe...
ben

Postby dreamingxashley » Fri 04.15.2005 1:22 pm

Hmm... Ill try to explain it without giving away anything vital.

The world was destroyed in 7 days of fire by gigantic "god warriors" Its been 1000 years since those days. Most everything from the old world has been lost to the darkness of time, technology and advanced medicine, the arts and music that we know of today, thousands of species of animals are extinct... and only small nations of people still exist (small compared to the world that is left). A great deal of the land is covered by a great Sea of Corruption which is made up of giant fungi and molds and huge insects live there that protect the forest.
Two nations have gone to war as the story opens, the Doroks and Turomekians. Nausicaa gets thrown into the midst of all this because her tiny country is allied with the Touromekians, and since her father is almost dead, he cant go to war, so she goes in her place. But along the way she befriends just about every other race. She helps an evil old emperor find peace, becomes a goddess to a certain outcast race, and even a priest who tried to use an altered mold to destroy the torumekians became a good guy...

Its basically a story about how evil technology can be and that were killing ourselves with our own creations. But its also about hope and love... its a really good story. So I would defiinitely reccomend it to anyone. I read all 4 mangas in little over 2 days lol, it was that addictive. The movie Im sure is gonna cut alot of the story out of it for time reasons, but the manga doesnt. :D
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby ben » Mon 04.18.2005 11:52 am

Thanks for the summary! ^_^

...maybe...
ben

Postby Mukade » Mon 04.18.2005 10:25 pm

I read the manga while I was doing my study abroad here. I would heartily recommend it. It is far more in-depth than the film, and gets into environmentalist, humanist and political topics. A very interesting story.

If you can get it in English, though, I would recommend it. The Japanese is very difficult, as Miyazaki was trying to simulate Classical Japanese within the dialogue.

As for the film; I don't know if it has been re-released in the States or not, but it was originally released as "Warriors of the Wind." Unfortunately, it was released before anime became popular, and so it was severely edited in order to make it more "appropriate" for younger audiences. The original, Japanese version was pushing two hours, whereas the English version was closer to one. That's a huge difference! As a result, the English version was near incomprehensible.

Hopefully the boon in anime (and Miyazaki's rising popularity abroad) has forced someone to re-release it properly.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby dreamingxashley » Mon 04.18.2005 10:44 pm

Yeah Nausicaa has been rereleased here in the US, I think they added stuff to the movie as well... Id love a subbed version of the Japanese version though... 2 hour anime movie... thatd be cool. :)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Datadog » Tue 04.19.2005 2:46 am

I've been seeing advertisements for both that one and "The Cat Returns," but I've yet to see either one on any shelf. I wonder if that's US only?
Datadog

Postby ben » Tue 04.19.2005 11:35 am

I saw Nausicaa on the shelf. I was gonna buy it, but i didn't have any money. Oh well... But i don't know about out of the U.S.

...maybe...
ben

Postby hide21998 » Fri 05.06.2005 12:15 am

uh i saw the movie about like a month ago and did not like it the main char. was to perfect so she did not seem real ....................and what was up with her panties they where um forgot to be drawn it...............ew............at least it was not from a X-hentai wrighter so you knew that there would not be any monster um love in the house(looking ut for the kids)but me and the people we watched it with did not get why its a classic
go to http://www.oni-X.4t.com

buy cds

please!!!!!!!!
hide21998

Postby rpsamurai » Thu 05.12.2005 7:50 am

I've read the manga, but I really wanna see the movie. It looks cool...yeah B)
rpsamurai

Postby Itaihoshi » Tue 05.17.2005 3:30 am

the movies good! :P P
Itaihoshi

Postby Ishikawa » Mon 08.01.2005 1:46 pm

Nausicaa is one of the best movie of Miyazaki....a possible (i hope NO!!!!) future for a world always mor killed by the same habitants!!! Nausica is a good charachter,i don't think she is so perfect, i can say she is agirl has grown up in a moment!!!She must protect her kingdom and people....in her situation,lot of us would have destroy hersel and his realms....if u want some normal people u can see dash!Kappei (here is full of normal boys and girl,with no problems!!!eheh).The manga is a Masterpiece of category, a big opera of Miyazaki sensei,near the movie....music and color will do the final mission!!! This is a Classic with a big C!!!!To all newbies i can suggest to watch Tonari no Totoro,more relaxing than this,but equally WONDERFUL!!!!:D
A no hi ni kaeritai......
Ishikawa

Postby Kates » Fri 08.12.2005 4:10 pm

I love "Nausicaa" as well... it's one of my favorite stories from Miyazaki. You can find the manga here in the US in English, in four "perfect" volumes. 18$ was the most I've paid for a single manga book (excluding "Akira"! >_<) but it's well worth it.

and hide.... Nausicaa is wearing pants in the movie. What the heck is it with people not realizing that?
Kates

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions