Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do these books stack up?

How do these books stack up?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How do these books stack up?

Postby Zoidburg » Wed 06.07.2006 12:31 am

I just got these books as a gift today. I was wondering if they are good books, on a beginner - actually wanting to speak the launguage - kinda books.

Japanese for Dummies
A guide to Learing Hiragana and Katakana
And the E-J, J-E dictionary I got was : Random House's Dictionary.
Zoidburg

RE: How do these books stack up?

Postby Infidel » Wed 06.07.2006 3:02 am

JfD - a primer. Not a full blown course. If you lack the money to commit or are unsure if learning japanese is for you this is a good test of your will to stay the course. Although, I think that book uses roumaji so it builds bad habits and handicaps you somewhat. Better to get a book that teaches you kana early.

A guide-- I never really got much miliage from these. But some people think they are great. I just use the kana guides in the front/back of a japanese course until I don't need them anymore.

RH dictionary. I wasn't too impressed with it. Rather, I saw it, but it didn't inspire me to buy it. I think it uses roumaji.

However, it is pretty common for these to be the only books at waldenbooks, so they probably would have had to special order anything better.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips