Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What to see in Japan

What to see in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

What to see in Japan

Postby h3lladvocate » Tue 05.16.2006 8:54 am

Next year i play on taking a trip to japan, but i havnnt the faintest idea where i would go see if i went. If you could post some interesting places to see, and tell me where they are and why there intresting that be great in helping me plan my trip. Thanks in advance.
Goals:
Hiragana: 49/49
Katagana: 15/49
Kanji: 38/103
Vocab: Sad...
h3lladvocate

RE: What to see in Japan

Postby keatonatron » Tue 05.16.2006 9:41 am

What are you interested in? Big cities? Small towns? Both? Ancient culture? Modern technologoy? Both?

If you're only interested in the new stuff, Tokyo would probably be good. If you want to see a mixture, the Osaka/Kyoto/Nara area is great, because you have huge cities and tiny, OLD towns minutes away from each other by Shinkansen and/or local trains.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby h3lladvocate » Tue 05.16.2006 10:32 pm

Ok, but im also looking for some historical sites as well, like temples and such. I like the osala/kyoto/nara idea cause im interested in both aspects of Japan. If anyone has any good historical places to visit that'd be great.
Goals:
h3lladvocate

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.17.2006 4:29 am

Kyoto and Nara. B)

Kinkakuji (Golden Temple)
Ginkakuji (Silver Temple)
Heian Jingu (Heian-style shrine built in the 70's)
Inari Jingu (Inari Shrine)

And many many more in Kyoto.

Nara has the largest statue of Buddha, as well as some other shrines and temples.

Kobe (also near Osaka) had a large foreigner district in the late 1800's, I think they have interesting stuff there but I've never been.
keatonatron

Postby h3lladvocate » Thu 05.18.2006 10:47 am

Ok, so i want to also go to tokyo, but besides being like t he bigest and most modern city, i dont know what else to do there. SO, what is there to do in Tokyo?
Goals:
h3lladvocate

Postby jinksys » Thu 05.18.2006 10:15 pm

h3lladvocate wrote:
Ok, so i want to also go to tokyo, but besides being like t he bigest and most modern city, i dont know what else to do there. SO, what is there to do in Tokyo?

パチンコ!!!
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Mukade » Fri 05.19.2006 12:00 am

keatonatron wrote:
Kyoto and Nara. B)

Kinkakuji (Golden Temple)
Ginkakuji (Silver Temple)
Heian Jingu (Heian-style shrine built in the 70's)
Inari Jingu (Inari Shrine)

And many many more in Kyoto.

Yes, there are far too many temples in Kyoto to list them all. Other than the more common ones that Keatonatron mentioned, there's also Kiyomizudera (the most recognizable to Japanese people) and, my favorite, 33 Gendou (the hall of one thousand and one statues of the Kanon Buddha).

keatonatron wrote:
Kobe (also near Osaka) had a large foreigner district in the late 1800's, I think they have interesting stuff there but I've never been.

There's a hillside with many of the old consulate homes still intact. Most of them have been converted into museums. A nice walking tour.

Of course, Kobe is a burgeoning culinary city, as well. Be sure to take in some of the cuisine while you're there.

Finally, you can take a gondola up to the peak of Mt. Rokko to get a spectacular view of the Kinki area. The nightview from there is stunning.
Mukade

Postby Oyaji » Fri 05.19.2006 12:15 am

Here are some interesting places to see in Tokyo, though it is by no means a comprehensive list.

Tsukiji Fish Market - An amazing place, and a good place to find excellent sushi.

Harajuku and Meiji Shrine - Two entirely different faces of Japan right next to each other.

Akihabara - Electronics capitol of the world, and now the world Otaku capitol as well.

Roppongi Hills - If you are interested in this kind of place. A super-modern high-rise shopping/restaurant/hotel/business/condo complex.
Last edited by Oyaji on Fri 05.19.2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby miliyahrific » Fri 05.19.2006 1:30 am

Tokyou Dome! Fun Fun Fun! =]
miliyahrific

Postby becks23 » Wed 06.07.2006 6:09 am

Shibuya is also a very cool place to go. If you like coffee, you can watch the many MANY people cross the street across from JR Shibuya Station, from Starbucks. No matter what people tell you Shibuya 109 is not for guys!! Take my word for it.

Odaiba has the biggest farris wheel in Tokyo...I don't there's much competion for that though :| Also has Venus Fort which is so amazing to see the skyline above change from night to day (every 30mins I think) Pallet Town has a Toyota Show Room with an F1 simulator which is cool to try out. For one reason or another, the Statue of Liberty is also in Odaiba looking over Rainbow Bridge. Great Photo-op.

Ginza has the Sony Building with all the latest techs from...Sony. The building also has the "Ginza PlayStation Room" which has the latest PS2 and PSP games.

Tokyo Tower is really nice on a clear day, but the price of admission is kinda over it. Shinjyuku Metropolitian Government Building in...Shinjyuku offers the same great view and for free:)

Ueno Park is a nice little park directly beside JR Ueno Station, very peaceful.

Asakusa Temple is also a nice place to go to. The lead up to the temple is lined with shops and さくら, in spring. Look for the "シート Building" down the street from Asakusa Temple. Can someone verify that name for me?? The building next to Asahi Brewery.

〜Hope this helps.
Last edited by becks23 on Wed 06.07.2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
becks23

Postby keatonatron » Wed 06.07.2006 10:36 am

becks23 wrote:
Odaiba has the biggest farris wheel in Tokyo...I don't there's much competion for that though :|

There's actually quite a few big ferris wheels. You can see like 3 of them just driving from Narita to Yokohama. There's one near Tokyo Disneyland, one in Sakuragicho (Yokohama), and one at all the big amusement parks. And many more that I'm sure I'm forgetting.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.07.2006 10:46 am

jinksys wrote:
h3lladvocate wrote:

パチンコ!!!

hell you can find pachinko parlors in America, that certainly isn't worth going to japan for..
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.07.2006 12:12 pm

hell you can find pachinko parlors in America, that certainly isn't worth going to japan for..

Yeah, but America doesn't have the required cool gigantic plastic flower displays outside, and the certified toxic smog inside...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.07.2006 12:51 pm

nor does is have the magical room in teh back where you trade in your pachinco balls for toys which you then take to the non-existant room where you sell the toys for money.. nope.. oh, and american pachinko is not nearly as bright or noisy as japanese.. you can hear those places for at least a mile sometimes..
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan