Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - America in Japan

America in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: America in Japan

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.21.2005 12:05 am

Actually, MTV in Japan plays nothing but :ogasp:o MUSIC!

Imagine that...

Yes, the programming on MTV is very different here. Gone are all the lives-of-the-inane reality programs and drunken-fratboy-parties-televised spring break shows.

Not only that, but most of the videos are home grown bands. There is an hour each day dedicated to viewing the World Chart and another hour for specifically the US Top 20, but other than that, you have a chance to see what the current Japanese music scene is all about.

Granted, it is a selective slice of the Japanese music scene (pretty much: whatever high school girls are buying is what makes it on MTV), but it is a slice, nonetheless.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.21.2005 12:17 am

Mukade wrote:Granted, it is a selective slice of the Japanese music scene (pretty much: whatever high school girls are buying is what makes it on MTV), but it is a slice, nonetheless.

Thats pretty much how it is here. Whatever the screaming school girls are buying. heh...

So its not really mtv, its just "japanese music tv" with the mtv logo slapped on it. :)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby ohemgee » Thu 04.21.2005 12:29 am

It's actually the same thing in the Philippines. They actually *gasp* play music videos, both US music and Filipino music. Also, you don't have to get cable for it; they broadcast MTV on a regular network.
ohemgee

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 04.21.2005 10:10 am

ohemgee wrote:
Imagine a view of your country, filtered through MTV and cable TV. Now, imagine that the youths in a country the size of california have that same view. Go go Gadget Stereotype!

Then again, there are a few ignorant kids in the States who think everybody in Japan has big eyes and pink hair, and have power levels of 1,000,000.

And besides those few ignorant kids who think that, there are another 100 million who have absolutely no clue. The Japanese definitely know more about Americans than Americans know about Japanese.
Schattenjedi

Postby Vengeance » Thu 04.21.2005 10:33 am

But, that's just how america is. It's a whole country with ignorance for all and tolerance and maturity for none! Now, I don't like saying these kinds of things because I know not all Americans are ignorant retards but in my experience, the majority of them are.

I'll go online to play a game of something and the losing team will be like "Aaaah, you british fag! fag! fag! Go drink some tea and eat some crumpets!!!"...

This is pretty much what I hear all the time...

It's just...can't they say anything else? can't they even try to criticise my playing abilitly (even though it's great ;p), nope...have to go straight to racism...
Last edited by Vengeance on Thu 04.21.2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vengeance

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.21.2005 10:49 am

Vengeance wrote:
But, that's just how america is. It's a whole country with ignorance for all and tolerance and maturity for none! Now, I don't like saying these kinds of things because I know not all Americans are ignorant retards but in my experience, the majority of them are.

Highlight this if you want to read it... but beware! :o
Thats because American kids are raised to believe they are gods gift to the world and that they are the best and everyone else is sub-human ... but lets be fair... its not the Americans so much as it is the ultra-conservative christians that make everyone else think of hatred and intolerance. Its the meat-heads with an over-active sense of national pride. heh

Vengeance wrote:
I'll go online to play a game of something and the losing team will be like "Aaaah, you british fag! fag! fag! Go drink some tea and eat some crumpets!!!"...

And thats the number one reason why I dislike mmorpg's the maturity level in there is non-existence for most people. Its like they bring out the worst in everyone...

Vengeance wrote:
It's just...can't they say anything else? can't they even try to criticise my playing abilitly (even though it's great ;p), nope...have to go straight to racism...

No they cant because that would require an amount of intelligence and civility that the Meat-head Gamer (Caro-primus ludus) has supressed due to the surge of too much testosterone. hehe.

But lets not talk about this... it might get too inflamatory... I was only half-serious about what I posted. So please dont get offended. ;)
Last edited by dreamingxashley on Thu 04.21.2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Daisuke » Thu 04.21.2005 11:03 am

dreamingxashley wrote:

Highlight this if you want to read it... but beware! :o

Uhmm.. I don't need to highlight it.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Spaztick » Thu 04.21.2005 12:58 pm

I think the main reason for the thought of American supremacy (which as an American teenage male I assure you I don't think) is because we're so isolationist in our culture, and we only really let in what we want or what fits to what we'd want to hear or see. This doesn't mean that we ignore the world but we are just ignorant of the rest of the world, IMHO. I'm sure that if kids saw the rest of the world as a non-tourist they would think differently

And another reason may be because of our national pride is because we don't lose a lot of wars we get into and we downplay some of the conflicts we do get into (Vietnam was downplayed a lot during the 70's 80's & 90's). I figure a good invasion or two ought to straighten us out. :)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Applegate » Thu 04.21.2005 1:14 pm

Vengeance wrote:

What a great way to start a reasoned dialogue about intercultural conflict! Call everyone on the other side intolerant and immature! I can see why people you meet online like you so much.

Heeere's your problem. You're judging Americans by the ones who sit around in front of their computers playing online games all day. In my experience there are stupid American and stupid Germans and stupid Japanese and stupid British people in online games. Try getting to know some actual American people before you go making huge generalizations about American culture.

I like tea.
Last edited by Applegate on Thu 04.21.2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Applegate
Reviews Editor,
Toon Zone News
Applegate

Postby Elumi » Thu 04.21.2005 1:16 pm

ohemgee wrote:
It's actually the same thing in the Philippines. They actually *gasp* play music videos, both US music and Filipino music. Also, you don't have to get cable for it; they broadcast MTV on a regular network.

Wow! Gone were those days when I had to watch MTV on a special channel (chn.23?)in the Philippines? How long was I gone? Oh well... I think it's basically incorporating what we can get from the US to our country so Phils. won't look like a third-world country (I think it's more like a second-world country but only I see it that way).
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Thu 04.21.2005 1:20 pm

Spaztick wrote:
I think the main reason for the thought of American supremacy (which as an American teenage male I assure you I don't think) is because we're so isolationist in our culture, and we only really let in what we want or what fits to what we'd want to hear or see. This doesn't mean that we ignore the world but we are just ignorant of the rest of the world, IMHO. I'm sure that if kids saw the rest of the world as a non-tourist they would think differently

And another reason may be because of our national pride is because we don't lose a lot of wars we get into and we downplay some of the conflicts we do get into (Vietnam was downplayed a lot during the 70's 80's & 90's). I figure a good invasion or two ought to straighten us out. :)

Hm... you may be right about this. I realized (through my co-workers) that the less contact they have of the outside world--real news and experience--the more they're able to say ignorant things. We can't generalize, though. For instance some Americans came back from out-of-continent trip looking at life (outside America) in a different way, while some comes back with more ignorant view. How is that possible? Maybe it is the isolationist and supremacy view ...
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby Applegate » Thu 04.21.2005 1:33 pm

Spaztick wrote:

There are actually conservative evangelical Americans who have a lot of knowledge and open-mindedness about the rest of the world. I know, I was surprised too, but I've met several. And even those people who never have occasion even to think about leaving the country (which, considering our geography, is the vast majority of Americans) are usually very accepting of foreign tourists, even if Americans may make more than a few intercultural gaffes. I'm from Burbank, CA, which is a fairly conservative city just north of Los Angeles, and I grew up around tons of Koreans, Armenians, Chinese, Filipinos, and Mexicans. And when I think back on the white people I grew up with, I have to say the most consistently selfless, kind and accepting group was the Mormons. I think if you spent any extended period of time in certain places in the US, you'd find your preconceptions shattered in a lot of ways. Politics isn't all there is to a society.

Ugh. I wish I could criticize that statement but it seems to be unfortunately true. Our government has yet to figure out that whole "responsible international citizenship" thing.
Last edited by Applegate on Thu 04.21.2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Applegate
Reviews Editor,
Toon Zone News
Applegate

Postby Vengeance » Thu 04.21.2005 4:02 pm

Now, I don't like saying these kinds of things because I know not all Americans are ignorant retards but in my experience, the majority of them are.

...is what you should of noticed if you read it all. Now, I did say in my experience, maybe I am judging all of America by a small population but hey, what else do I have to go on? Not many americans hanging around my street corner, ya know?

I KNOW not all americans are like this but hey, a few americans here agree with me to an extent that a lot are.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just giving my honest opinion.
Vengeance

Postby clay » Thu 04.21.2005 4:40 pm

The implication that conservative Christians believe they are God's gift to the world and that all others are sub-human is unfair. If that were true we should expect 'Christian' nations to be the most repressive countries around. Of course, the opposite is true. Since the bible teaches all people have been created equally by God and God alone stands as judge, true Christians cannot be instigators of 'hatred and intolerance.'

Sorry - I will get off my soap box now. But as a Christian AND an American, it really touches a nerve (but I am not offended) to hear American bashing whether it be done abroad or at home. I don't mean this to offend anyone but I can't help but think, who is the one being intolerant?

How about we all play nice and talk about learning Japanese again?
;)
Last edited by clay on Thu 04.21.2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby ohemgee » Thu 04.21.2005 5:19 pm

Vengeance wrote:

Now that's just terrible. You can't use online video games as the basis for your view of Americans. I'm actually a little offended. Most of the kids who do that online are just 12 and 13 year olds who don't know any better. Come to America for yourself, and you can see that most of us can be pretty friendly and tolerant.

And as for the whole "America is completely Conservative Right" thing, that is simply wrong. It may seem like that, the way our government is acting, but most Americans in fact disapprove of this according to nationwide polls, and agree with seperation with church and state. And this is coming for a Christian Catholic (albeit a liberal Catholic).
ohemgee

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan