Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese/english dictionaries

Japanese/english dictionaries

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese/english dictionaries

Postby dragon89 » Thu 04.21.2005 5:19 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows any accurate internet japanese english dictionaries. As well, where would be a good place to buy one. I have no idea what stores would carry them. Arigatou in advance.

(My apologies if this is the wrong forum. )
dragon89

RE: Japanese/english dictionaries

Postby Spaztick » Thu 04.21.2005 6:02 pm

poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/jedi

this is a good one, but it's too good as it gives you many definitions, and you can't enter a word shorter than 3-4 words or just one kanji or kana. Otherwise this is great.

As for a book, I'd get an electronic one. Clay sells them in his shop for about $200-300. It sounds expensive but it's way better than a book dictionary.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby clay » Thu 04.21.2005 7:14 pm

I often use http://www.yahoo.co.jp just because it is easy to remember to type. You can type any Japanese or English word in the search bar and hit the far right button that says 辞書.

It says it searches from 774,000 words. I assume that is E-J and J-E combined, though.
clay
Site Admin

Postby dragon89 » Fri 04.22.2005 12:15 am

Spaztick wrote:
poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/jedi

this is a good one, but it's too good as it gives you many definitions, and you can't enter a word shorter than 3-4 words or just one kanji or kana. Otherwise this is great.

As for a book, I'd get an electronic one. Clay sells them in his shop for about $200-300. It sounds expensive but it's way better than a book dictionary.

I wish i had enough money for that :(
dragon89

Postby OnlyJedi » Fri 04.22.2005 10:37 am

Try Jim Breen's WWWJDIC. It also suffers the problem of being too good (in that it can give too many definitions), but you can restrict the search to common words and/or exact word search, and choose from a large number of dictionaries. Also included are many kanji-lookup tools.

Another way would be to use Babel Fish Translation, and then use a reverse lookup with Jim Breen's dictionary to make sure its a good translation.

Edit: I just noticed that JEDI (the dictionary Spaztick suggested) runs off WWWJDIC's EDICT and ENAMDICT, (and contains a link to WWWJDIC itself). WWWJDIC does have the kanji lookup though, which JEDI doesn't have.
Last edited by OnlyJedi on Fri 04.22.2005 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito, ergo sum.
OnlyJedi

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 04.29.2005 4:27 am

I like this one because it gives lots of examples and has a nice easy to read format.

http://www.alc.co.jp/
Schattenjedi

Return to Japanese General Discussion