Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - level 2 in jlpt

level 2 in jlpt

The test - experiences, questions or comments

level 2 in jlpt

Postby igor » Mon 02.21.2005 7:41 pm

Hi
I am just wondering did anybody take the level two here?
I am planning to take it this time.
So if I pass it what happens, you get a certificate, what can you do with that?
igor

RE: level 2 in jlpt

Postby KRed » Sat 03.26.2005 1:23 pm

igor wrote:
Hi

Hi bud.
I`m planning to take the level 2 test this year as well. From what I hear it is a big step up from level 3, most people I know who have taken the level 2 failed it the 1st time around. But on the bright side not all of them failed 1st time around and the others all passed on their second go. You get a certificate for passing any of the 4 tests. They send you a card (usually 2 to 3 months after taking the test saying if you have passed or failed) and then you can send off for a certificate if you have passed. What you can do with it depends on what you want to do with it. The level 2 is very well recognised in Japan in seeking employment, when most job adverts require Japanese ability they usually mean level 3 or preferably above.
KRed

Postby Gaijinian » Sun 04.17.2005 9:11 pm

I'm planning on taking it myself...
Check out http://www.kanjistudyguide.com/jlptprocess.php?jlpt=2
;)
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Diggity » Sun 04.17.2005 9:38 pm

Thanks for the link to the site... I added it to my favorites. As I have only been studying for a month and a half I will prbably just try for the 4kyuu this December and take each subsequent test each year thereafter.
Diggity

Postby Mukade » Mon 04.18.2005 1:16 am

igor wrote:
Hi

Passing any of the levels will net you a certificate. It's nothing fancy, just a simple statement that you've passed X level of the Japanese Proficiency Test.

As far as what you can do with it....

Technically, it can help you get a job or help you get into a Japanese college.

Passing level 2 of the test is considered having the equivalent of Business-level Japanese, which is what is required for employment in many corporate jobs here in Japan.

Passing level 1 of the test is considered fluency, and is required to gain entry into a Japanese university (as a regular student - not a study abroad student).

I've spoken to many people who have gotten jobs here in Japan, however, and their experience mirrors my own - that is, if you can manage to get your way through an interview in Japanese, they won't be then asking you for a 2-kyuu certificate to prove that you can speak Japanese.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby igor » Mon 04.18.2005 8:37 pm

Thank you
I wonder what's easier getting the interview done or passing the test?
Well the harest part to the whole thing is the listening and actually talking. Because you can practice writing and reading on your own, but here in US there aren't too many japanese around to talk with.
By the way for this year you can't register yet right?
igor

Postby Mukade » Mon 04.18.2005 10:04 pm

I think the interview was much easier.

In an interview, you'll be using basic, conversational Japanese. It may be on the polite side, but it's stuff that you use every day.

The JLPT, on the other hand, tends to concentrate on written Japanese (moreso at levels 1 and 2). So when you are studying for (and taking) the JLPT, you are looking at a lot of kanji and grammar that never (or rarely) get used in daily speech.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Gaijinian » Fri 04.22.2005 9:05 pm

On a completly random side note, by 2003 Nihongo nouryoku shiken shiken mondai to seikai 1/2 kyuu came today! I'm so happy!B):D
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.14.2005 9:47 pm

The JLPT 迫ヘ試験 is the defacto standard for getting a real job in Japan. Although many tests such as the JETRO actually are better tests (and happen more than once a year), the JLPT is still the basis if you want to get a translating job.

While the JETRO and interviews may teach you how to speak and conduct business, the JLPT is more geared towards high level reading and comprehension. If you want to be able to read a newspaper, I suggest going for the JLPT. If you're more interested in verbal communication, I suggest the JETRO, which includes an interview portion (unlike the JLPT).

When you pass the JLPT, you can get a little certificate that says you passed. I got mine for 2級, and was actually kinda disappointed. It's just a folded piece of paper in an envelope printed on anti-copying paper.

Which how much I studied, I was hoping it would be made out of gold or something. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby lysan » Thu 06.30.2005 8:53 am

Im trying to find reading exercises in the past exams but i dont know where i can find so anybody here ever took 2kyuu please tell me where

arigato
Toi yeu Viet Nam
lysan

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test