Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Do you think I'll ever find a vegan host family?

Postby Machina Maw » Sun 06.18.2006 1:11 am

In short: probably not.

Edit: I wonder how long it will take for someone to start a "What are your thoughts on eating animals?" thread. Haha.
Last edited by Machina Maw on Sun 06.18.2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machina Maw

Postby Mr Hensha » Sun 06.18.2006 1:45 am

I am sure the Japanese would be supportive in your beliefs. Respectful people.

I'd have to look into everything to see if they come from animals at all. That must be a pretty boring diet. Eh.

I could never give up meat, oh god yes. A thick, juicy barbecue sauce-smothered rack of ribs....

And now I cry...
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Postby Infidel » Sun 06.18.2006 2:44 am

Machina Maw wrote:
In short: probably not.

Edit: I wonder how long it will take for someone to start a "What are your thoughts on eating animals?" thread. Haha.

Well, at least this thread is on topic.

It is a hard topic though. Even in the US where the USDA is very strict and requires standard nutritional lables and other information, it isn't exactly vegan friendly.

I can't say that being a vegan does anything at all to help the planet. Some people think it does, but theres really no evidence to support this view. It's really just a diet that transforms into a religion.

I doubt any host parentl would list themselves as Vegan, and any that did might find themselves less likely to be accepted as host parents because then they couldn't host very many people. Rice and multivitimans btw isn't exactly a healthy way to eat.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby hyperconjugated » Sun 06.18.2006 6:41 am

Infidel wrote:
I can't say that being a vegan does anything at all to help the planet. Some people think it does, but theres really no evidence to support this view. It's really just a diet that transforms into a religion.

It's quite debated issue but veganism
(or enviromental vegetarism) doesn't
pose such a threat to the globe like
the heavy meat/dairy production industry that
cuts down rainforests etc for farming and
everything that comes with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_vegetarianism

I bet large populations of the third world
are vegetarians or vegans simply because
of their poor standard of living. It could be
argued that the people of developed world
aren't doing much at all to help the planet
with their insane comsumption craze.

Here's a grotesque example how things
can be:
"European citizens are supporting the dairy
industry to the tune of €16 billion a year.
This is equivalent to more than $2 per cow
per day - half the world’s people live on less
than this amount.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/issues/trade/bp34_cap.html

edit:link
Last edited by hyperconjugated on Sun 06.18.2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby b4d0m3n » Sun 06.18.2006 9:35 am

Well, to the OP who doesn't seem to be here anymore, I don't see why you're not taking into account the fact that a) you can buy your own food and b) if these peeps feed you, all you have to do is tell them what you do and do not eat. I just don't see an issue here.
b4d0m3n

Postby nihongogakusei » Sun 06.18.2006 10:58 am

I'm a strict vegetarian (not a vegan though), and in Japan, the people I was with bent over backwards to ensure that I didn't eat any meat, fish, shellfish, etc. The hardest thing about being a vegetarian in Japan is the prevalance of fish and seafood in Japanese cooking. Even seemingly innocent food can contain some type of fish product (pastes and so forth). There are some vegetarians in Japan (one guidebook I looked at featured a restaurant in Kyoto that caters to vegetarians, and, I imagine, to Vegans as well.
nihongogakusei

Postby randomerror » Sun 06.18.2006 12:48 pm

Veganism and vegetarianism hasn't quite caught on in Japan as much as it has in the west. I'm a vegan also and would love to Japan, but I would probably just *try* to keep as much animal products out of my diet as I can. There is bonito in pretty much everything though.

You might want to check out Shoujin ryouri, or Buddhist temple cuisine. Shoujin ryouri doesn't use meat, fish, eggs, milk, etc and also does not use garlic, onions, leeks, green onions, and shallots. There aren't many websites with recipes but there are a few books. Although it could be expensive, some buddhist temples allow guests to stay there. http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/t ... ation.html
randomerror

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Sun 06.18.2006 3:16 pm

I couldn't see why you would want to restrict yourself that way. I mean....I love food. :p I like trying/tasting new things too. Like infidel said I wouldn't think it would help other people that much.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 06.18.2006 5:34 pm

you'd be eating nothing but rice with soy products such as tofu, soy sauce and stuff. ..... being a vegan must be tough ..
TrilinguisT

Postby Myuka » Sun 06.18.2006 6:10 pm

lol thanks everyone. Your ideas and thoughts were very helpful.
Myuka

Postby clay » Sun 06.18.2006 7:21 pm

I was a vegan when I originally went to Japan. I hate to say this to you, but I quickly gave that up. In the US, I could regulate just about everything I bought and could make specific requests at restaurants, but that is near to impossible in Japan. I quickly got used to eating cheese and milk products.

I was super strict in my high school and college days. I can understand where you are coming from, but if you are planning on moving to Japan, you may want to practice getting used to eating dairy and food made with fish stock (can we say 'udon'). I know it isn't an easy thing (I still can't eat a fish with an eye looking at me - believe me, I'd like to for the health benefits, but since I have had this diet for over half my life, it isn't easy to change).

One major thing to avoid is Japanese curry (not 'real' Indian curry which usually has vegetarian choices) since it almost always includes pork. Ramen almost always have beef or pork. Udon appears to only have fish stock.

Learn the major animal kanji (pig, beef, etc) and read every label carefully. I remember during my first few months in Japan I spent a lot of time in the super market with my dictionary! Find the few restaurants that have vegetarian cuisine. I feel in love with our local Indian restaurants. The family restaurants have a few choices, but not much.

Anyway, ganbatte! I hope you can explain things to your host family in a clear way as early as possible. I think you will find most Japanese are very accommodating even if they have no idea why you would possibly want to do that!

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby Mukade » Sun 06.18.2006 10:44 pm

I highly doubtthat you will find a family living a vegan lifestyle in Japan. The one vegetarian restaurant I went to in Osaka had Kangaroo sashimi on the menu. Couldn't quite figure that one out...

But I think people would be accomodating if you explain it to them.

clay wrote:
Anyway, ganbatte! I hope you can explain things to your host family in a clear way as early as possible. I think you will find most Japanese are very accommodating even if they have no idea why you would possibly want to do that!

This is an important point. You may find that when you explain your diet to a Japanese, they may not completely understand what you are saying and/or why. And it's not a matter of language.

A vegetarian friend of mine went to a restaurant once and explained very clearly to the waitress that he could't eat any meat. He ordered fried rice and requested that there be no egg or meat in the dish.

When the waitress brought out the plate, she told him as if on the sly "I chopped up the pork really small and put a bunch in there for you."

It's like she thought he wanted meat but, for some reason, couldn't eat it. So, to be nice, she chopped it up really small so no one would see him eating it! :o

So yes, explain it very clearly.

If you do, I don't think any host family would deny you your wishes.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Oyaji » Sun 06.18.2006 11:04 pm

I once accompanied a group from Malaysia around Japan, and we had to call all the restaurants several days ahead to request that all the meals be completely meatless. At one restaurant the menu was curry rice, and after one bite they all made a very strange face. The leader came up to me and said "There is definitely meat in this." I went up to the counter and asked the waitress about it, and after checking with the kitchen she strongly assured me that there was no meat. I explained that to the leader, but he wouldn't believe it, so I asked to speak to the cook. He also assured me, confidently saying "We very carefully took all of the meat out of theirs." :o

You need to be very clear what you mean by "No animal products". Someone will go to great pains to make a wonderful vegetable tenpura for you, only to forget that the dipping sauce is made with fish stock.

But once they understand, most people will bend over backwards trying to accommodate you. Sometimes too far.

When I first came to Japan I was invited to a neighbor's house for dinner. Apparently they weren't sure what a foreigner would want to drink, so there were several different kinds of soft drinks and juices on the table. For no special reason I chose ginger ale, and immediately everything else was taken away. From then on whenever I visited them I was served ginger ale.

I didn't think too much about it until I was invited to another neighbor's house, and on the table was a bottle of ginger ale. They proudly told me that they had checked with the other family and learned that I only drank ginger ale. :D

You should have seen the look of joy and relief on the husband's face when I said beer would be great.
Oyaji

Postby Myuka » Tue 06.20.2006 6:00 pm

Wow you all told such funny stories and had great advice like Mukade and Oyaji! Thanks for the support and advice it feels great ^_^ I'm glad you all seem to understand where I'm coming from. I still havn't really decided yet on what I'm going to do but I guess I'll just decide when it's closer to the time I leave ^_^ I really apreciate all of your posts and your stories about your trips where very fun to read and interesting.
Myuka

Postby TrilinguisT » Tue 06.20.2006 7:04 pm

im curious.. are you okay with eating bread? myuka.. cause i thought yeast is a living organism.
TrilinguisT

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan