Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chat alternative

Chat alternative

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Chat alternative

Postby creek » Mon 06.19.2006 3:12 am

I like to be the rebel and the underdog so...

if you have firefox 1.0-1.5 if you dont ....http://www.getfirefox.com/
it is the best thing since sliced bread

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1825/
http://peekko.com/chat/HomePage.html
peekko Chat is a new Firefox extension that makes every web page a place where people can congregate. It adds a toolbar to Firefox that shows how many people are in that page's chat room and allows you to instantly connect with them.
Last edited by creek on Mon 06.19.2006 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
creek

RE: Chat alternative

Postby karelhof » Mon 06.19.2006 3:24 am

that sounds cool, chatting while learning. firefox gives much less "fatal exeptions" then IE, I advice it to evryone here!:D
karelhof

Postby Reno » Mon 06.19.2006 3:39 am

Its exactly these kinds of things that need to be avoided.

If everybody is gonna think of an alternative we will have 15 different chats all with at most 20 chatters. This isnt really the point of a chat room. Creek-san, we appreciate the effort but just use the chatroom through Gaim
(or better yet Psi) since zen-san worked hard on it to make it work (believe me I know). We all are glad to help you out if you have a problem.
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby creek » Mon 06.19.2006 3:49 am

I'm not by any means trying to take away from hard work done on this site by anymeans. Peeko is not just for one site. The idea behind it is to make EVERY site a chat room. it is a chat alternative to EVERYTHING not just TJP. I for one would love to see this succeed and have a huge community at every site i go to. and maybe even be supported by other browsers such as IE and opera.
sorry if you misunderstood the intentions reno.

Don't knock it til' you try it.
creek

Postby Infidel » Mon 06.19.2006 3:59 am

It's not about better or worse. It's about having everyone in the same place. It's already hard to get more than 5 people on at the same time. Splitting those 5 up between 3 or more different places is a bad idea. Then there won't be anyone to chat with.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 4:09 am

if you're up for firefox extensions, look into Jabberzilla. same general idea. Peeko is an IRC client that connects to a single server and joins a channel based on the name of the site.
zengargoyle

Postby creek » Mon 06.19.2006 4:10 am

I guess i should have said this also. It is the innovation of the product that is the reason for the post. I'm not trying "split people up" I am bringing into the light an innovative software that i happen to like above all else.

and before this come in to topic i will stop it here.
Firefox is a browser...like IE for most of you win users
Peeko is a plugin for that browser that allows you to "chat" with people viewing the same page as you are in example: google. you can still view the site and have the chat up at the same time (see why its noteworthy yet?)
creek

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 4:12 am

actually, it's not very noteworthy. it's just an IRC client connecting to an IRC server channel. IRC has been around for ages and ages and ages.
zengargoyle

Postby creek » Mon 06.19.2006 4:22 am

Well..yeah...guess i should mention i'm old school. i love IRC:P

and if you really think about it- application wise you could have a universal plugin that taps into severs that support it atomaticly and have instant access to other viewers and or "help desk services" maybe even talk about a computer product before you buy one right there looking at the specs. it maybe Peeko now that leads...but what if Peeko inspires someone to create something better. Maybe even someone from this Forum...

yeah i look at the world differently so what!
creek

Postby paul_b » Mon 06.19.2006 5:03 am

The thing about the current set up (although I dare say there's a good chance things will be changing) is that there are too many steps. The ideal situation for a chat linked to a web-site is

1. Click chat-link.
2. Chat.

The next best is

1. Click chat-link.
2. Click 'yes' a time or two to install the chat-applet for the first time.
3. Chat.

Otherwise casual visitors and newbies are less likely to run through the necessary hoops to get started. Established chat users are a different matter but without a steady flow of new visitors it's likely to dry-up.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 5:33 am

easiest for windows users:

Use Pandion. It's incredibly simple.
as a bonus, i'll even provide a direct link for the download: Download Pandion

the major difficulty with the "Click link and chat" is that the chat server and the main TJP server are different machines. Java applets and the like require that the chat server be on the same host as the web server due to security restrictions. and the chat server doesn't have a web server to serve up those kind of pages. (nor the disk space to host the applications, the jabber server pretty much fills the space quota).

believe me, i've tried (and i'm still trying) to find a point and click solution.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 06.19.2006 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby creek » Mon 06.19.2006 9:47 am

I really didnt intend this thread to be TJP chat bashing...becuase i dont care....i'm sure if you would like they will allow you to make a new thread for that.

what i do care to hear are other alternatives like peekko. whats out there? the web is a huge place i can't see everything. I think zen is the only one to actually mention another software. not a good one but still its what i was looking for in talking about peekko.

peekko can't and will not replace TJP chat. its impossible as is....its a beta....maybe down the line it will be even more noteworthy than it is now.

i wonder what the reaction to this post would have been if the flash chat was still up and we were one the old sever? maybe not so objectively or hey thats nice try this.

im not going to apologize for my timing this post the same day i discovered it myself.

its sad to see you can be so nearsighted about these things even in our situation or not.

speaking of new software anyone like my other favorite firefox plugin
"rikichan"
http://www.polarcloud.com/

i thought this forum had people that read the entire post not just the title. you really can't judge a thread by it's topic.

a spark can light a flame but the candle can only burn as long as the wick lasts. take that and think about it!
creek

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 9:52 am

you picked a bad title for your post if you want to discuss other things like rikachan... chat has been a big discussion topic the past couple of weeks and it's likely that few people will want to read another thread that has the word 'Chat' in the title...
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Mon 06.19.2006 10:14 am

Creek-san, no problem. I think we all appreciate your mentioning other options. The problem is we have a viable alternative in place and if we divide everyone away from it, it won't work.

I think up until now the confusion has been there wasn't a unified place for people to know what to download and what to do. It was talked about in multiple threads. I just added Zen-san's graphical step by step guide as an article and linked on the menu bar. *Hopefully* that will solve most of the 'can't figure it out' problems.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Reno » Mon 06.19.2006 2:18 pm

Clay-san and Infidel-san said what I ment creek-san. I bet Peeko works great and all but if we all just join one chat, and to keep it easy the chat by zen-san (the One Chat to Rule them All!) then everybody can chat with eachother. Dividing isnt really the good option.

If there is one thing we all are trying to do is to get YOU to join the Gaim chat :D
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Next

Return to General off topic