Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Slang Words

Japanese Slang Words

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japanese Slang Words

Postby Mukade » Sat 06.17.2006 1:32 am

keatonatron wrote:
Mukade wrote:
You wouldn't grasp much of what your drinking buddies are saying to you. Even words like おかま are thrown around on television all the time.

But you first have to know the NORMAL stuff they're saying :D

Thing is, if you're sitting around drinking with a couple friends, how much of what they say is 'normal?' :o

I remember when I did my study abroad here back in '97 - I came here with a pretty decent understanding of standard Japanese. But when I hung out at my favorite bar with my friends, I couldn't grasp a word of what was being said.

Even as my Japanese progressed over the year, I still couldn't decipher what they were saying.

In the end, I really think it was because so much of what they were saying wasn't normal, standard Japanese, per se, but very dialectical, slang-filled speech.

Again, I'm not suggesting that anyone should start learning Japanese with slang, nor should they spend time memorizing a bunch of slang. But being exposed to it - at any level - certainly doesn't hurt.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 06.17.2006 4:42 am

dialectical ... it changes here in teh US all the time.. lol

My friend was sitting next to this girl while watching a dance performance. that girl goes "their dress clothes are sick, she was dancing like she was 'goin dumb' " .. my friend said, "what the hell? you just insulted my culture, there were doing a cambodian dance, how can you say that?"
that girl goes "... what are you talkin' bout? they do look like they 'goin dumb' you know, that dance called 'goin dumb' by a hiphop group called 'dem franchise boys' ?" . lol ( im not sure who the song was from )

but yeah, if you dont know the newest words or slange, you can prolly get offended . lol

(im pretty sure 85% of you have question marks on your faces) :D
TrilinguisT

Postby kotori » Sat 06.17.2006 4:43 am

pin' pon'
kotori

Postby Machina Maw » Sat 06.17.2006 6:01 am

TrilinguisT wrote:

My friend was sitting next to this girl while watching a dance performance. that girl goes "their dress clothes are sick, she was dancing like she was 'goin dumb' " .. my friend said, "what the hell? you just insulted my culture, there were doing a cambodian dance, how can you say that?"
that girl goes "... what are you talkin' bout? they do look like they 'goin dumb' you know, that dance called 'goin dumb' by a hiphop group called 'dem franchise boys' ?" . lol ( im not sure who the song was from )

but yeah, if you dont know the newest words or slange, you can prolly get offended . lol

Haha, I didn't get a word of that. I do think some slang words are stupid.

Like "sick" and "phat". I mean, you'd probably get slugged (punched, I mean) if you walked up to someone and said, "Wow, you look phat!" :D
Machina Maw

Postby Budomaru » Sat 06.17.2006 11:17 am

AJBryant wrote:
Argh. There is no such thing as "a slang." There is "slang." There is "Japanese slang." There is "slang words." There is no "Japanese slangs."

Tony

pfft, fullstops within the quotes... amateur :P

+2 on the slang part - noone EVER learned a language properly without knowing slang and how people talk on an everyday basis, as opposed to the "standard" or "textbook" form of the language. but +2 on learning kana before slang as well ;)
Last edited by Budomaru on Sat 06.17.2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby AJBryant » Sat 06.17.2006 12:16 pm

pfft, fullstops within the quotes... amateur

Hmph.

I write from America, and I follow American rules of style. (Except hip-hop. Can't stand hip-hop styles.)

:)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Budomaru » Sat 06.17.2006 2:20 pm

[offtopic]

i was kidding anyway - though, no offense, but sometimes it seems different rules are defined in america (and often in the uk as well) simply so they'll be in contrast with what the rest of the world uses :P this quote rule is an example, as are some rules in mechanological designs (where strangely the american rules are the opposite of the rules every one else has). B)

[/offtopic]

how's slang in japanese? :P
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 06.17.2006 3:34 pm

Machina Maw wrote:
TrilinguisT wrote:

Haha, I didn't get a word of that. I do think some slang words are stupid.

Like "sick" and "phat". I mean, you'd probably get slugged (punched, I mean) if you walked up to someone and said, "Wow, you look phat!" :D

machina maw and everyone else who's lost -- just watch this you'll understand .. this dance is called 'go dumb'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRN2YLYzRU&search=E-40%20
Last edited by TrilinguisT on Sat 06.17.2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrilinguisT

Postby AJBryant » Sat 06.17.2006 6:08 pm

i was kidding anyway

Oh, I knew you were kidding. Hence the smile. :)

BTW, the reason for the change has to do with the old lead type-setting. Periods, commas, and so on, were really small pieces of lead, and could easily be lost or knocked off the slug, so they were put INSIDE the quotation marks -- which are bigger pieces -- to make sure the punctuation was there.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Mukade » Mon 06.19.2006 3:31 am

AJBryant wrote:
i was kidding anyway

Oh, I knew you were kidding. Hence the smile. :)

BTW, the reason for the change has to do with the old lead type-setting. Periods, commas, and so on, were really small pieces of lead, and could easily be lost or knocked off the slug, so they were put INSIDE the quotation marks -- which are bigger pieces -- to make sure the punctuation was there.

Tony

Tony, you clearly spend too much time reading.
Mukade

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.19.2006 11:22 am

HEy, I told you. I used to be a newspaper editor. That's part of our history. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Mon 06.19.2006 11:45 am

Mukade wrote:

You misunderstood; when Tony was young, all they had were the old lead-type printing presses. He's writing from experience :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.19.2006 1:17 pm

AJBryant wrote:
pfft, fullstops within the quotes... amateur

Hmph.

I write from America, and I follow American rules of style. (Except hip-hop. Can't stand hip-hop styles.)

:)

Tony

sure you do.. some of those slick duds you wear are now invading hip-hop culture..
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.19.2006 1:19 pm

AJBryant wrote:

HEy, I told you. I used to be a newspaper editor. That's part of our history. :)

Tony

let's see, if order to be an editor, you had to typecast as well no? i always wondered how did you put the letters on those spinning wheels anyways.. ? i feel sorry for the guy that has to go in there and .. wait, did i just hear a click whirrr?
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.19.2006 1:54 pm

You misunderstood; when Tony was young, all they had were the old lead-type printing presses. He's writing from experience

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan