Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American English to Japanese

American English to Japanese

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: American English to Japanese

Postby richvh » Thu 06.15.2006 10:00 pm

You can edit your posts. You should edit your posts rather than make mulitple posts in a row.

Work on your English. "Did I remind you of...?" doesn't mean what you think it means, it doesn't work in the sentences where you've tried to use it. If you change that "of" to "that", then it makes sense. "Did I remind you of" X means "When you saw me, did it make you think of" X, or "When you heard me, did it make you think of" X.

If the English isn't originally yours, find something better to use for translation practice.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Thu 06.15.2006 10:12 pm

Iwark wrote:
hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
can you please not post 6 times in a row? sorry, but it gets kind of annoying and i think there may be a rule against it....B)

I posted it because I forgot what to say... I wish it was a chat room.

you can always edit your post. on top of each individual reply there is a "quote" button and when you are logged in your posts will also display an "edit" button.

EDIT: oops, i posted this without noticing Rich san's reply. also, noticed how i EDITED my post instead of making a new one.:)
Last edited by hamsterfreak4evr on Thu 06.15.2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

RE: "And did I remind you of" is literally "And I should say

Postby Iwark » Fri 06.16.2006 7:42 pm

Oyaji wrote:
"Remind" implies that the person has prior knowledge which they may have forgotten. You remind them of something they already knew. Is that how you are using it?

Literally, the word for "to remind" is 「思い出させる」

I think in this case though, something like this might be more natural:
"Did I remind you of the controls in this game? It get's horrorble all of the sudden."
「このゲームのコントローラのこと言ったかね。急にひどくなることがある」

Perfect! Perfect!! "And did I remind you of" is literally "no koto itta ka ne"(literally, "And I should say about"). So, "And did I remind you of" is literally "And I should say about". It makes perfect sence...

Thank you so much!! You're my Assistant!
Iwark

Postby keatonatron » Fri 06.16.2006 8:10 pm

I'm glad you got what you wanted out of that, because I have no idea what you just explained :p
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Machina Maw » Fri 06.16.2006 9:41 pm

The "did I remind you about?" still makes no sense to me. I think "did I tell you about.." / "Have I told you about.." fits better.

Oh wait, maybe it's because I'm not speaking American English. Well crikey mate, strike me dead, I better crack open another four ex and pop another roo steak on the barbie, strewth! *Rolls eyes*
Machina Maw

Postby Oyaji » Sun 06.18.2006 11:22 pm

Let's start over:

Iwark wrote:
Konnichiwa, minna-san. Ogenki desu ka? I have something to ask you.

How would I say "Did I mention....?" in Japanese?

If someone can translate it, I will be thankful.

Someone says, and rightly so:
You should first make the effort yourself, and then we will help you.

Iwark makes a valiant attempt be is incorrect.

You could say:
「〜のことを言いましたか」(〜no koto wo iimashita ka)

In a more casual setting, like with friends playing video games, you might say it:
「〜のこと言ったかね」(〜no koto itta ka ne)

:)
Oyaji

Postby Iwark » Mon 06.19.2006 12:26 am

Oyaji-san, kono bun wo honyaku dekimasu ka?

"I've jump the gun when I reported wesker you're dead."

I want a literal translation please..
Last edited by Iwark on Mon 06.19.2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwark

Postby Machina Maw » Mon 06.19.2006 2:16 am

There is no such word in the English language as "wesker", and even if you meant "whether"; it still makes no sense.

First of all you should avoid using sayings like "jump the gun" if you want a literal translation.

Lastly, you yourself should at least make an attempt at translating.
Machina Maw

Postby keatonatron » Mon 06.19.2006 3:05 am

Iwark,
If English isn't your first language, perhaps you should try translating from your native language to Japanese? If English is you're first language.... maybe you should just give up on talking altogether :|
keatonatron

Postby Oyaji » Mon 06.19.2006 3:33 am

Iwark wrote:

いいえ、できません。英文の意味がわかりません。

As has been pointed out, we are finding it hard to understand your English. It looks to me like you are using an online translator. Is that the case? I'm sure calling me your "Assistant" was meant as a sign of appreciation, but that is certainly not how it comes across. Most of us are more than willing to help you, but you need to work to make your posts more understandable.

One more thing. This is a site for people who are learning Japanese. If that is your purpose then we can help you, but first you must show some effort. This is NOT a free translating service.
Oyaji

Postby becks23 » Mon 06.19.2006 4:20 am

keatonatron wrote:
Iwark,
If English isn't your first language, perhaps you should try translating from your native language to Japanese? If English is you're first language.... maybe you should just give up on talking altogether :|

LOL...now now let's not be harsh.

Put it this way Iwark. It's better to put down watashi wa cool than "what is I am cool in Japanese??" At least that way it looks like you are putting effort into your studies and not wanking it.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby Iwark » Mon 06.19.2006 1:37 pm

Oyaji wrote:
Iwark wrote:

いいえ、できません。英文の意味がわかりません。

As has been pointed out, we are finding it hard to understand your English. It looks to me like you are using an online translator. Is that the case? I'm sure calling me your "Assistant" was meant as a sign of appreciation, but that is certainly not how it comes across. Most of us are more than willing to help you, but you need to work to make your posts more understandable.

One more thing. This is a site for people who are learning Japanese. If that is your purpose then we can help you, but first you must show some effort. This is NOT a free translating service.

incorrect translation:"Ore ga wesukaa wo omae ga shin da to ittara, jump the gun da yo."

The reason I'd showed you this translation is because I don't know what "jump the gun" means..

Ada Wong said that sentence.....
Last edited by Iwark on Mon 06.19.2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwark

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.19.2006 1:53 pm

Have you tried looking up the expression?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Mon 06.19.2006 1:54 pm

If you don't understand the English, then why in the world are you asking for a translation into Japanese, a language you understand even less, and especially translations of such shoddy source material?

Also, literal translations of such idioms as "jumping the gun" rarely make sense. "Jumping the gun" comes from racing, where someone starting before the starting signal has "jumped the gun."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.19.2006 2:49 pm

well damn, richvh beat me to it.. jumping the gun involves any racing (horse, track and field, etc where a starting gun was involved.. when one jumps before they gun goes off it is a foul and they started calling it jumping the gun.. and has become coloquial in starting before one should.. another expression similar to this is getting the cart before the horse.. in other words doing things in the wrong order or starting too soon.. as you can imagine if the cart is in front of the horses, something is terribly wrong..

swinging before the pitch..
leaping before one looks. (look before you leap etc)
frosting the cake while it's still hot..

these are a few things that point to doing something before it should be done..
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan