Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - FAQ Page : Layout and content.

FAQ Page : Layout and content.

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: FAQ Page : Layout and content.

Postby paul_b » Mon 06.19.2006 3:19 pm

Infidel wrote:
your suggestion still included categories for questions that don't exist. I was saying to eliminate categories completely until they are needed. For now I'd just list the questions.

Having categories with no existing questions is a good way of both providing a hint as to what content is appropriate for the FAQ and providing a place to link to sections on the site relevant to the category. If you think about what categories there should be from the start you're also less likely to end up with a muddled mess of a FAQ in the end.
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Fri 06.23.2006 3:05 am

zengargoyle wrote:

as for FAQ stuff, keep up with the good ideas. i have a MediaWiki installed on the new site (same software as Wikipedia) so there will be a place to keep an up-to-date FAQ and other stuff in a way that everybody can edit and improve in an easy manner.

Could we get an update on this wiki thing. Since you said it's already installed, I'm just wondering where the link is so I can get started with some faq pages and stuff.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 06.23.2006 7:01 am

Infidel wrote:
Could we get an update on this wiki thing. Since you said it's already installed, I'm just wondering where the link is so I can get started with some faq pages and stuff.

lets see.... some of the admins are adding some content so it isn't totally empty when people first visit... there are still a couple of server side things i need to investigate to see if we can get pretty URLs (like: .../wiki/Main Page) instead of ugly ones (like: .../index.php?name=Main%20Page). and i need to add a BBCode method of linking from the forums ( [ wiki=Main Page ]See the Wiki[ /wiki ] ).

and, there needs to be a bit of organization for the FAQ. i've sorta stayed out of the discussion, but i do believe that the FAQ (and FAQ like things) need to be organized a bit before starting. it's much easier to start with some obvious sections and flesh them out than it is to wait until you have a big page of unrelated questions and try to impose some order on them... i have yet to see a decent FAQ that didn't have 5 or 6 main sections of questions.

so, be patient. this week is sorta busy and i doubt anything will happen before next week or so.
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Fri 06.23.2006 12:31 pm

heh, we need a book reviews section. I'll definitely try to review books to help people choose what's best for them.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Infidel » Wed 07.12.2006 3:49 am

I think there should also be a section
"How do I say...."
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel