Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Chat

New Chat

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: New Chat

Postby clay » Mon 06.19.2006 8:58 am

Zen san et al. I just created a step by step page describing how to install the program you mentioned on the other thread:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/readarticle.php?article_id=208

Can you guys look at it and see if I missed anything? Is there a final step involving signing into a chat room or something?

Or is there another Windows program that would be even easier for everyone? I think giving people just one choice would help eliminate confusion. "click here, sign in here..."

As soon as that page has enough helpful information we can link to it directly from the top page and menu bar.

Clay
Last edited by clay on Mon 06.19.2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 9:06 am

Clan-san,

i had added a walkthrough of Pandion on the Install help page. it has a bit more information on usernames with spaces in them, and joining chatrooms.

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/jabberchat/pandion/pandion.html

but other than that, it looks just like your article... :D
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Mon 06.19.2006 9:16 am

Ha! Sorry. :o

Ok, I will grab that info and write over my page so it will be a sitewide 'article' (be searchable and visible until we add new articles. Also, do you think it is time to 'advertise' it on the front page and menu bars?

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 9:26 am

yeah, once the article is set... right now the Chat link in the Navigation panel points to this thread, and the first post has the link to the instruction/walkthrough pages. pointing links to the article sounds good (at least until the WagaWiki is all ready B) )
zengargoyle

Postby japanman » Mon 06.19.2006 9:31 am

konichiwa
japanman

Postby richvh » Mon 06.19.2006 10:00 am

The trouble with Pandion is that for some reason the fonts it uses don't display in Gaim when using kana/kanji unless the Gaim user checks "Ignore font face" in the preferences, and right now the majority of users are using Gaim.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.19.2006 10:31 am

you should probably check the 'Ignore font face' and other 'Ignore font ???' features anyway. otherwise you'll also end up with people doing things like:

sending white text on white background. sending giant 64pt fonts, etc. it's probably a windows + gaim thing, i haven't seen the problem on Linux. i could probably write a 5 page dissertation on text/font handling in Gaim/GTK but i doubt anybody would want to read it.

one of Jabber's strengths is that it's agnostic about client side additions. the messages you recieve in chat go something like this:

<message from='...' to='...'>
.<body>Plain text version</body>
.<html xmlns='...'>
..<body>
...<span style='font-face: "Arial";font-size: 48pt'>Plain</span> <b>text</b> <i>version</i>
..</body>
.</html>
</message>

only the first 'body' is mandatory, the 'html' version is optional and up to the client whether to accept or not. if you don't have the fonts the user specified in the 'html' version installed, you probably won't see the text...

windows under english locales has horrible skill in selecting replacement fonts for font's that it doesn't have installed, often choosing 'Serif' or 'Default' which don't have the characters for Japanese... if you tweak the fonts.conf of GTK, this could probably be worked around by setting Japanese capable fonts as the default instead of generic windows default fonts... or by setting windows default font to something that has the right characters.

under Linux, the font subsystem keeps searching configured fonts until it finds the character or it runs out of fonts to search, then you get a box. it seems windows doesn't try hard enough.

anyway, that's the rough outline... best advice, check 'Ignore ...'
zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Mon 06.19.2006 11:18 am

I'm getting a "Gaim Disconnected" error when I try to go to the chat.

(Obviously I'm using Gaim)

[Edit]Aaand, now it's working again. :-/[/edit]
Last edited by paul_b on Mon 06.19.2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby caroline » Mon 06.19.2006 11:30 am

well, I wanted to give some confort to people as ungainly with IT as I am;
I tried pandion, and got the "disconnected" error;
I tried psi, but for some reason it didn't work : i guess I made an error reading zengargoyle's instructions; so I tried Gaim, with the instructions by zengargoyle step by step (even if my version is not in english, it's clear enough) and it worked well, with windows; I had the problem "not reading" some people, and the "ignore font" recommended by rich (and unknown) worked well to solve it.

This is just to say that if I can do it (as, usually, when my computer doesn't do what I want, i pester the adminsitrator at work and give up or phone the hotline home), I guess everybody can do it.

And thanks to Rich who helped me here on line with patience, also with the IME problem.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby paul_b » Tue 06.20.2006 5:33 am

Is there anyway to change the default font used to display _incoming_ text in GAIM? It's using old-style radicals for some kanji (left hand side of 社 is shown as the same as left hand side of 祓).
Last edited by paul_b on Tue 06.20.2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.20.2006 6:11 am

zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Tue 06.20.2006 9:19 am

zengargoyle wrote:
How to change Gaim Fonts.

Thanks for that, but in the end after trying various things I gave up and went to Pandion.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.20.2006 9:52 am

heh, i guess i'm sorry for the Gaim on Windows thing... it works so flawlessly on Linux, i guess the Windows port just isn't as trouble-free. :@
zengargoyle

RE: Coming soon!

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 06.23.2006 7:10 am

hopefully this weekend or around the beginning of next week i'll have a better Online Chat Users page up. i have a test version running that shows the Chatrooms and the people inside the chatrooms so you can get a better idea of how many people are actually chatting versus just how many are connected to the server and maybe private chatting, or just hanging about...

i'm sure the forum will squash this, but the page will look something like this:

Currently in Chatrooms
* japanese_classroom (0)
* Chat in Japanese (1)
o f00fbug
* The Lounge - Always open. (1)
o f00fbug

and i even have a running record of the number of people in chatrooms as a pretty graph... (i want to get the info into a RRDtool database for even prettier pictures).
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Fri 06.23.2006 8:37 am

naomi wrote:
cocoさんの説明を読んで、時間のあるときにやろうと思っていたら削除されていました。
垂オ訳ありませんが、もう一度書いていただけませんか?

あ、naomiさん。すっかり返答が遅れてしまい失礼しました。
現在のところ、Pandion(←クリック)が お勧めですので
まずそれでご説明しますね。
該当記事のなかにある、Pandionのサイトからdownload pageに飛んで、
ダンロードしたあとは
そのまま該当記事で紹介されているように設定すれば、
すべて日本語で侮ヲされます。
画面が開いたら、
アクション→チャットルームに参加。
そこでチャットルームの名前が侮ヲされますから
chat in japanese に参加してください。
細かい疑問点はチャットルームで訊ねれば
誰かが日本語で操作方法を教えてくれると思います。

ここまででうまくいかないところがあれば、遠慮なくご質問ください。:)
---
[追記]
元の投稿を削除したのは本人です。何日か掲示した後
必要な方はもうご覧になっただろうと判断し、消しちゃいました ^^; 失礼。
Last edited by coco on Fri 06.23.2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

PreviousNext

Return to Problems