Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - America in Japan

America in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: America in Japan

Postby Spaztick » Thu 04.21.2005 6:00 pm

*is evangelical conservative*

Well, I'd prolly be in the middle leaning right, politically speaking, but I absoloutly hate politics.

I think that America is divided into both the liberals (who have a loud voice at the moment) and the "silent majority." I think we'd get a better view of America in general if the silent majority spoke up.

Wow, and all this from a guy asking about the gay life of Japan. :0
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby dreamingxashley » Thu 04.21.2005 6:27 pm

Ah such fun stirring the pot...

I wasnt american-bashing... and I wasnt saying all Americans are intolerant conservative christians... But I havent met any conservatives who were open-minded enough for me to call them open-minded - especially when it comes to gays and lesbians... but I am in a fairly redneck-area of the US. heh. As I said I wasnt being totally serious, playing Devils Advocate sorta... which is loads of fun. :) My apologies to anyone who got truly offended by my comments. :|

Vengence, you may not have lots of Americans hanging around your street corner, but there IS the internet, so saying you dont have any Americans to talk too is really a poor excuse.

Playing an online game, and then judging a whole nation by a bunch of immature boys is I think like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and then tossing the tub out after the baby.

Back to Japanese! I learned the letter "de" today hehe.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Applegate » Thu 04.21.2005 7:02 pm

Spaztick wrote:I think that America is divided into both the liberals (who have a loud voice at the moment) and the "silent majority." I think we'd get a better view of America in general if the silent majority spoke up.

I can see how you might construe the neo-conservatives as not really conservatives but radicals. However, liberals, though they continue to have some influence in the media, are not very influential in government right now, relatively speaking. Even in the media, cable television news is leans conservative across the board and right-wing blogs are gathering strength. It's just not fair to represent conservatives as some helpless "silent majority."

Though frankly I'd like to hear more from the smart conservatives and less from the loud ones.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just giving my honest opinion.

It's OK, I was just surprised to hear that kind of tone on a website that's supposed to be about exploring other cultures.

Back on topic, has anyone been to America-mura in Osaka? I wanted to go but never got the chance. Heard it was a pretty... interesting place.
Last edited by Applegate on Fri 04.22.2005 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Applegate
Reviews Editor,
Toon Zone News
Applegate

Postby clay » Thu 04.21.2005 7:04 pm

Very good! Let's all have fun learning Japanese.

One thing that is awesome about the internet, and is very evident here, is the fact there are so many different people to contribute different ideas. This is particularly helpful with language learning. I, personally have learned a lot by reading the forums.

Ganbarimashou!
clay
Site Admin

Postby Vengeance » Thu 04.21.2005 7:42 pm

Oh, but I do meet a lot of Americans online. Some are nice and some are not. As I said before, I don't hate americans, it's just IN MY EXPERIENCE the majority I have met are bad. By IN MY EXPERIENCE you can tell what I mean, ne?

I have a few good American friends, so I'm not going to outwardly just say "I hate Americans". I'm just telling you my honest opinion which I have noticed IN MY EXPERIENCE.

If you want to take it the wrong way then do so, I don't really care. It's an opinion and i'ts not supposed to be knit-picked to death, just listened to.

Now, maybe all these kids on games are 12/13, but does that make it any better? Why should a 12/13 yr old be expected to say stupid and racist things like that? I also meet adults online - mostly adults - so...your point is? I wouldn't get so offended at any of this cos I can tell you guys are the good guys but you have to admit there are a lot of idiots in america.

At the end of the day, as I have said many times...this is in MY EXPERIENCE...maybe it's all a coincidence but hey that's what has happened in my experience. If you met nothing but rude British people, you would have the same opinion.
Vengeance

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 04.22.2005 6:08 am

Applegate wrote:
And even those people who never have occasion even to think about leaving the country (which, considering our geography, is the vast majority of Americans) are usually very accepting of foreign tourists, even if Americans may make more than a few intercultural gaffes.

Despite the geography, the majority of students I have met have already been to either North America or Asia. The core of the problem is information. The neverending comments to Germans visiting America about Nazis and Hitler (ex.: Is Hitler still alive?) have cemented the idea that the vast majority of Americans are ignorant. If Americans would start learning more about the modern world outside of America (either through school, the media, or travelling), then they could slowly reverse that opinion.

And I'd like to add another opinion of mine. The whole multicultural, all tolerating, freedom and democracy spreading rhetoric of the u.s. government AND many average Americans is nothing more than a facade. Behind all of those things are very ugly truths that have for the most part yet to be owned up to.
Schattenjedi

Postby Applegate » Fri 04.22.2005 10:00 am

Schattenjedi wrote:
Despite the geography, the majority of students I have met have already been to either North America or Asia. The core of the problem is information. The neverending comments to Germans visiting America about Nazis and Hitler (ex.: Is Hitler still alive?) have cemented the idea that the vast majority of Americans are ignorant. If Americans would start learning more about the modern world outside of America (either through school, the media, or travelling), then they could slowly reverse that opinion.

That's true, and I certainly agree that it would be fantastic if Americans knew more about the world. I'd even say that American ignorance of international affairs is one of the biggest problems in American politics. However, I do think you have to keep in mind that most of us just don't need to know anything about the rest of the world. For example, in order to know everything in an eight hundred kilometer radius of central Germany, that's at least twelve different countries with distinct cultures and, mostly, distinct languages.

Just eyeballing it, eight hundred kilometers from Nebraska you get Canada, a teensy bit of Mexico, but other than that mostly corn and cows. I realize there's significant cultural variation within the US itself but it's not nearly as extreme, and besides that's not what we're talking about.

And I'd like to add another opinion of mine. The whole multicultural, all tolerating, freedom and democracy spreading rhetoric of the u.s. government AND many average Americans is nothing more than a facade. Behind all of those things are very ugly truths that have for the most part yet to be owned up to.

On this point also I agree completely. Americans urgently need to be more aware of the dangerous internal inconsistencies in our political culture. Now if only we had a political party to represent that point of view instead of what we have now, which is basically the World Conquerors vs. the Keystone Cops. :(
Ben Applegate
Reviews Editor,
Toon Zone News
Applegate

Postby Xmax » Fri 04.22.2005 10:49 am

Guys, guys, we're all just different people with different feelings.
Moreover, every generalization on a sample of around 300.000.000 people is simply pointless (thanks my statistic classes at university :))

Take me as example: I'm Italian, and I'm fond of sashimi and uh... umeboshi! :@

Finally, I believe most people hanging around a place like *this* must be at least as open-minded as to willing to learn about something so different as Japanese culture and Japanese language, so I don't think any of the above comments would apply to any of the members of this forum (I don't know about gaming on-line, but then again that wouldn't make the point ;)).

Back to Japanese, then.

Kind Regards,
Xmax
^^^^ hides umeboshi in a closet and takes out pizza & spaghetti LOL
Xmax

Postby Elumi » Fri 04.22.2005 11:20 am

Things got heated up and then cooled down in a blink of an eye... well a night, that is. Too late to make any comments because most of my thoughts were written down already.

I noticed that there is Japan in America and Japan in every country, also vice versa. There is a country in every country. Does that make sense? It makes me wonder, though, how modernizing a country means combining languages. For example, my friend who is studying in Japan right now noticed that most students use an english word for something and the rest of the sentence be Japanese. There's even a Nihongalog which is a combination of Japanese and Filipino (tagalog) langauage. The same here in America, I guess. You'll notice that some people would just randomly use Japanese words (one easily learned like Hai, Arigatou, etc.).
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby dreamingxashley » Fri 04.22.2005 12:15 pm

I often here "yuss" and "bai bai" which is just bye-bye japanized. :)

Elumi is that you in your avatar? If so, will you be my girlfriend? hehe just teasing. ;)
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Vengeance » Fri 04.22.2005 1:08 pm

Well, you have to remember that the Japanese are western crazy ;p. Someone once told me that speaking english was actually cool over there. Now, to us, speaking Japanese is ultra cool but we are but a small population of our countries. Most people think we're weird learning Japanese, that's pretty much a standard.

I do use the occasional word in public with friends or something like "Hai Hai!", "Ja ne!", "Moshi Moshi!". But, if anyone else but a friend would hear me saying it, they would think I'm ultra weird ;p.

Speaking English is a much bigger thing in Japan I guess, and most other non-English speaking countries. I think it's because speaking English shows intelligence, dedication, and it does open doors to other things such as moving to English-speaking countries and getting a job.
Last edited by Vengeance on Fri 04.22.2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vengeance

Postby ohemgee » Sat 04.23.2005 1:54 am

Vengeance wrote:
Oh, but I do meet a lot of Americans online. Some are nice and some are not. As I said before, I don't hate americans, it's just IN MY EXPERIENCE the majority I have met are bad. By IN MY EXPERIENCE you can tell what I mean, ne?

I have a few good American friends, so I'm not going to outwardly just say "I hate Americans". I'm just telling you my honest opinion which I have noticed IN MY EXPERIENCE.

If you want to take it the wrong way then do so, I don't really care. It's an opinion and i'ts not supposed to be knit-picked to death, just listened to.

Now, maybe all these kids on games are 12/13, but does that make it any better? Why should a 12/13 yr old be expected to say stupid and racist things like that? I also meet adults online - mostly adults - so...your point is? I wouldn't get so offended at any of this cos I can tell you guys are the good guys but you have to admit there are a lot of idiots in america.

At the end of the day, as I have said many times...this is in MY EXPERIENCE...maybe it's all a coincidence but hey that's what has happened in my experience. If you met nothing but rude British people, you would have the same opinion.

Allow me to quote John Gabriel of Penny Arcade and his "Greater Internet F**kwad Theory."

Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total F**kwad

To restate, meeting someone on the internet is not the best way to judge them. I regularly play Gunbound online, and it attracts all kinds of kids from all kinds of countries, and it won't be just the American kids who will cuss you out and make racist comments. You will see South and Central Americans, Chinese, and European kids saying stupid things they probably don't mean in real life. That is just the international internet culture for you, and if you don't believe me, go lurk around any popular internet forum like IMDB and see for yourself how many people will make fools of themselves on the web, and not just from America.
ohemgee

RE: I hear you!

Postby Alyse » Sat 04.23.2005 3:07 am

I'm american but I act completely opposite to this rude, idiotic, stupid, behavior. I can't believe that person. Well actually I can because over here a lot of people(especially boys) act worst than that. At school people often try to ridicule me and treat me as if I'm some kind of demon or something(I dress "gothic" ). I suggest staying out of chat rooms 9 out of 10 if there r more than 3 people in a chat room someone is bound to say something rude. So don't be suprised. I was actually kinda glad to read your message because i thought people acted like this in all countries. a good amount of people here though aren't rude. But almost everyone is inconsiderate. But our country isn't completely full of rude people, it just has more than others I guess.

P.S. I'm new
Alyse

Postby Mukade » Sat 04.23.2005 6:03 am

I think that, nationality aside:

If you are human, you have a very high probability of being ignorant, rude and self-centered.

But maybe I'm just being a misanthrope again..... :@
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby strange368 » Sat 04.23.2005 3:00 pm

No mukade, ur not wrong at all, humans are naturally like that, but we strive to become more intelligent and strive to be kind to one another to achieve piece and unity with our fellow humans. Just look at a brand new baby. They are so rude, they crap everywhere, they don't care about anyone but themselves and they are dumber than ur dog will ever be, but through training and discipline, that same baby can be a model person within society. I don't know, I guess it's just me spouting my mouth again.
strange368

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan